Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:29:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wired: Suspects Arrested in Online Drug Market Sting  (Read 2682 times)
elux (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:17:45 AM

Eight suspects in the United States and elsewhere have been arrested and indicted for their involvement in an online drug market accessible only through the TOR anonymizing network that sold LSD, ecstasy, marijuana and other drugs to some 3,000 customers in 34 countries.

Six of the eight suspects reportedly involved in the Silk Road-like site were nabbed in the U.S. The alleged ringleader, Marc Willems, was arrested Monday morning in the Netherlands. His alleged deputy, a U.S. citizen named Michael Evron who lives in Argentina, was arrested Sunday while attempting to leave Colombia.

The operators apparently guaranteed delivery of the drugs to customers all over the world and charged a commission based on the value of the order. They also offered customer support services, including advice on how to package and deliver drugs.

Customers paid for their drugs via Western Union, PayPal, iGolder, Pecunix and cash.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/04/online-drug-market-takedown

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:19:38 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2012, 04:06:58 AM by zer0

Busted due to Hushmail.. why anybody ever trusts cloud encryption??
Paypal for drugs... Huh Wow great job
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:21:29 AM

<ArrestedDevelopmentVoice>

And THAT'S why you always use Bitcoin for illicit transactions!

</ArrestedDevelopmentVoice>
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 03:30:13 AM

woah woah. Are we going to stop using Western Union, PayPal, iGolder, Pecunix and cash (maybe make them illegal??!). People are using it for drugs, and I bet terrorism too.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:51:47 AM

Silk Road still on? lol

Remember: wupload.com, fileserve.com,.. after the megaupload incident
zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:05:59 AM

woah woah. Are we going to stop using Western Union, PayPal, iGolder, Pecunix and cash (maybe make them illegal??!). People are using it for drugs, and I bet terrorism too.

So true
No articles scandalizing the name of Paypal because these drug dealers used it.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:15:25 AM

<ArrestedDevelopmentVoice>

And THAT'S why you always use Bitcoin for illicit transactions!

</ArrestedDevelopmentVoice>

You should've (also) put the emphasis on always Wink
ageisp0lis

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 04:37:24 AM

this is a cautionary tale, folks
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:46:27 AM

Police, go catch those murderer, thieves, and human traffickers. Don't bother with the drug trade. That's for doctors.

Sincerely,

A taxpayer.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:51:09 AM

Tor, which operates on a network of computers around the world, anonymizes traffic so that the IP address from which communication originates is masked. Tor traffic is encrypted as it hops from node to node around the world, but is decrypted at the final exit node before being delivered to its destination. Anyone operating a Tor exit node can therefore view the content of communications at that point if the packets themselves are not encrypted, and the destination IP address, even if they are.
Traffic to Tor hidden services doesn't get routed through exit nodes, making it impossible to trace the destination IP address. That's kind of the whole point of hidden services. I'd have expected Wired to get their facts straight... Just kidding, I never expected Wired to get their facts straight. Roll Eyes

And why does anyone still expect privacy from Hushmail? The infamous Hushmail Report (PDF) was published nearly 5 years ago. You'd think people would have gotten the message by now...

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:52:04 AM

What the moral of the story then?  Don't buy contraband on websites that accept paypal?  Don't trust encryption wherein copies of your keys are on file with a corporate server?  Or don't post packages of contraband from an address that can be linked to you?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 05:19:52 AM

What the moral of the story then?  Don't buy contraband on websites that accept paypal?  Don't trust encryption wherein copies of your keys are on file with a corporate server?  Or don't post packages of contraband from an address that can be linked to you?

All of the above?

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 05:27:49 AM

Did they have the real return address on the packages they sent?

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 05:35:10 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/04/14/harper-summit-americas.html

Colombian president calls for discussion on decriminalizing drugs

The American in Colombia was arrested the next day.  Political theater.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 10:38:39 AM

What the moral of the story then?  Don't buy contraband on websites that accept paypal?

I don't think the police really care about going after the buyers, but if you do something illegal just be aware that they might come after you. You should not use paypal for anything legal or illegal anyway, they just love locking accounts and keeping the money.

Don't trust encryption wherein copies of your keys are on file with a corporate server?

That's obvious isn't it? Encryption is worthless unless you keep the private key safe. Don't trust people just because they claim to be trustworthy without doing due diligence. And the police can seize any data kept on any public webmail service or any cloud service if it's hosted in any lawful nation, which is basically any nation capable of running these things.

Or don't post packages of contraband from an address that can be linked to you?

Any address can be linked to you if the police throw enough manpower at it, and one of their amazing powers is very large amounts of manpower. If you seriously break the law and keep doing it they will have freaking armies hunting you down. I remember a stolen bank card case in the UK once, a guy was using stolen bank cards to withdraw money from a certain bank. He was withdrawing money the same day each week but never used the same bank machine twice. The police had people watching every single bank machine, freaking thousands of them. The guy didn't show that day so they did the same the next week and caught him.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 12:05:05 PM

And why does anyone still expect privacy from Hushmail? The infamous Hushmail Report (PDF) was published nearly 5 years ago. You'd think people would have gotten the message by now...

The only people expecting that are those who saw the word encryption on hushmail's website and never read on past it. If you actually read what hushmail says they openly and clearly state that your email account is encrypted any they can't access what's inside but they are able to intercept your emails when they are sent from or delivered to your account. The only way to protect against that is to use pgp encryption.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:44:28 PM

one of the biggest online illegal underground drug stores?
never even heard of the place ... either it's not so big, or the concept was just flawed to begin with...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 05:32:15 PM

>sells drugs with paypal
>expects not to get caught
> mfw

Theres plenty of viable ways to do things and this way doesnt seem to be even close to one of them lol.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 09:43:38 PM

This thread must belong to the press board: same story here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77016.0

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 08:16:25 PM

Chuck Schumer must act to save us from these drug peddling low lives! I mean Western Union, PayPal, iGolder, Pecunix and cash, of course. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: