Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:21:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I will increase my %-possesion of the bitcoin ledger every day  (Read 1357 times)
Wexlike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:37:49 PM

I will invest 10$ per day to buy more bitcoins. Thus in the long term i increase my percentage of the network.

With 25 btc per block the network has a daily 0.0272% inflation.

If you invest more than 14 cent per day at the current price for every bitcoin you own, you increase your percentage compared to the whole network.

Soon i will become a whale.  Cool

(Just had some fun playing with numbers)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:23:54 PM

Thanks for putting that into perspective. I like the idea of owning a bigger piece of the whole bitcoin pie per day Smiley

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:18:06 PM

This is a high achievers strategy! How many people ignored the current float and built in inflation and calculated on 21 million instead? I know I was but I'm changing the way I look at it now, thanks!
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:23:17 PM

The total value of the bitcoin mined by the miners every day is more then $10. (It is actually ~$1.8 million, but all that matters is that fact it is more then the $10 you are investing every day). Since the value of the bitcoin mined is greater then the amount you are investing in bitcoin, your percentage of all the bitcoin available will actually go down every day. You fail to account for the fact that the amount you are buying is less then the daily inflation rate.

Wexlike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:40:07 PM

Uhm that is just wrong. The network grows on its own with an increase of 0.027% (3600 btc per day).

As an example, someone has 100 bitcoins. If he wants to keep his percentage of the network equal, he has to buy 0.027% of his stake per day. That equals to 0.027 bitcoins per day.

If you would buy all of the 3600 coins, ofcourse your percentage would rise much higher. But i am talking about the percentage of your current holdings compared to the overall network.

Please, think again about the numbers. You missed the point.

edit: at one point in time i will reach with my 10$ buys per day an equilibrium with my current holdings. After that point, i have to steadily increase my buys per 0.027% per day until the next halving. Regarding the price doesn't change. Tongue
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:47:44 PM

Uhm that is just wrong. The network grows on its own with an increase of 0.027% (3600 btc per day).

As an example, someone has 100 bitcoins. If he wants to keep his percentage of the network equal, he has to buy 0.027% of his stake per day. That equals to 0.027 bitcoins per day.

If you would buy all of the 3600 coins, ofcourse your percentage would rise much higher. But i am talking about the percentage of your current holdings compared to the overall network.

edit: at one point in time i will reach with my 10$ buys per day an equilibrium with my current holdings. After that point, i have to steadily increase my buys per 0.027% per day until the next halving. Regarding the price doesn't change. Tongue
I see your point. My mistake. If you had $10 worth of bitcoin on Monday and then on Tuesday bought another $10 worth of bitcoin then your percentage of the total bitcoin that have been mined (are available) would increase by ~99.97%.

With that being said it would still really not be possible for you to become a whale because you would eventually get to own too much bitcoin for $10 to make a big difference of your total holdings anymore.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:21:10 PM

In the long term you will only keep your % of the network, unless you buy more and more Bitcoins.

So do you think Bitcoin will see a long-term devaluation, so your $10 will be more and more Bitcoins?
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:33:11 PM

This is a smart perspective of the bitcoin market, if you will increase your percent everyday you will become a whale but it's not so easy to achieve.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:54:40 AM

That could be a long term saving plan, should also consider a cash out plan when the investment mature after several years

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:05:49 AM

That could be a long term saving plan, should also consider a cash out plan when the investment mature after several years

"cash out plan". These always make me laugh a bit. The way I see it, anyone that will be selling their Bitcoins for over $10,000 a coin for cash is obviously looking at the entire scenario wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/gE8hDnY.jpg

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Gumbork

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:13:04 AM

I will invest 10$ per day to buy more bitcoins. Thus in the long term i increase my percentage of the network.

If you invest more than 14 cent per day at the current price for every bitcoin you own, you increase your percentage compared to the whole network.

Nice calculation, but you will have to invest $20 if bitcoin rise to $1000 and more if it went higher.

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
Wealthy

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 09:38:23 AM

Why are you so sure about the rise in bitcoin price?
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 10:59:07 AM

Thanks for putting that into perspective. I like the idea of owning a bigger piece of the whole bitcoin pie per day Smiley

I like the opposite idea even more. This is the classic position of the investor who tries to corner the market, but if I want BTC to be successful, I want the BTC pie to get more spread out among the global world population.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
routecrypto

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 02:18:46 PM

Nice strategy, it will work in the long term, hoping that bitcoin will be valued more and more every year.
deepestfear

Activity: 291

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:51:29 PM

this is a bit like a systematic investment program (SIP)
A variant that I quite like is to buy regularly like you suggest but to buy more when prices are falling, and less when they rise

richieB

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 10:39:53 PM

that's some smart thinking there. also a fun one:D good luck mr whale
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 12:06:05 AM

What is your definition of whale?

If you consider 1000 btc being a whale, that will take you more than 100 years to become one if you only invest 10 per day.
snappa4ever

Activity: 374

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:44:29 AM

What is your definition of whale?

If you consider 1000 btc being a whale, that will take you more than 100 years to become one if you only invest 10 per day.
Even the most liberal definitions of being a whale would take the OP a very long time to become a whale at $10 per day. Even if the price was still $10 per bitcoin it would take years.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 05:22:05 AM

I see your point. My mistake. If you had $10 worth of bitcoin on Monday and then on Tuesday bought another $10 worth of bitcoin then your percentage of the total bitcoin that have been mined (are available) would increase by ~99.97%.

With that being said it would still really not be possible for you to become a whale because you would eventually get to own too much bitcoin for $10 to make a big difference of your total holdings anymore.

Wex "would not become a whale" because he's only maintaining his current share of the network and he's implying that his current share would not make him a whale. He's only talking about what percentage he needs to buy daily to maintain his percentage of all BTC available. If he or you are defining whale in terms of number of BTC or dollars worth owned, then percentage of the network doesn't matter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: