Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:41:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How profitable is BTC daytrading?  (Read 7924 times)
bitc0in (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

One day I shall rise!!

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:08:26 PM

I am using Bitcoin for a while now to get paid and to pay but I never have any day-traded neither did I mined any.I just love the holding game.I see many people engaged in trading on btc-e website.

I have some Bitcoins,which are already on Btc-e and also some amount of Litecoins as well as some other altcoins.

I would love to hear some expert suggestions on day trading.I know it's risky but I can afford to loose some of cryptos if in case anything goes wrong.Just a line of some clues and brief explanation on this topic is what I expect from you folks.

Hope this is the correct section to start this discussion.

Regards.

There always lies a spark inside a cold heart!!
I am From Nepal<<Where Everest Lies>>
Satoshis??=1NYTHxvaqvoBVH5ttSpHv3TgdXGuRQMQZh
bitc0in (OP)

One day I shall rise!!

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:19:28 PM

First question is "Do you have enough time for day trading?" Can you follow bitcoinwisdom graph all day? If you make too much trade in one day, you will only feed btc-e because of fee.
Yes,I think I do have enough time for day trading.So, I need to understand the flow of charts here then?? https://bitcoinwisdom.com/

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:24:22 PM

Google Technical Analysis (TA).  

Don't listen to anyone that says it doesn't apply to Crytpo, because it follows TA more than even stocks.  

Gotta play with money you can afford to lose, otherwise, if you're playing with next month's rent you'll be too nervous and twitchy at every little swing.

Note:  Most traders will not buy when the price is low (like today at 470's) and will not sell at a high (in the 600's this June).
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:24:51 PM

You need a large bankroll to day trade BTC or LTC.  I find i need $10k+ approx for it to be worth it.  Without that i'd probably look to studying the pump and dump culture of new alt coins.

Right now im all in though, no need to trade.
bitc0in (OP)

One day I shall rise!!

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:28:16 PM

You need a large bankroll to day trade BTC or LTC.  I find i need $10k+ approx for it to be worth it.  Without that i'd probably look to studying the pump and dump culture of new alt coins.

How about I convert bitcoins I have into some trending alts and start off with trading then?

bitc0in (OP)

One day I shall rise!!

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:31:06 PM

Don't listen to anyone that says it doesn't apply to Crytpo, because it follows TA more than even stocks.  

Gotta play with money you can afford to lose, otherwise, if you're playing with next month's rent you'll be too nervous and twitchy at every little swing.

Note:  Most traders will not buy when the price is low (like today at 470's) and will not sell at a high (in the 600's this June).
Thanks,I would go through the TA.Well if not buy when low and sell at high what the traders do then?

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:08:41 PM

Thanks,I would go through the TA.Well if not buy when low and sell at high what the traders do then?

Most traders lose money, that's what.  Then leap out of their parent's basement window in despair.   Grin
Bonam

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:15:40 PM

The profitability of BTC daytrading is inhibited by relatively wide bid-ask spreads, relatively low market liquidity, exchange technical issues and trading lag.

To be profitable, a day trading strategy would have to be adapted to deal with these factors effectively. My own day trading strategy which I have found to be profitable trading major stock indices has been unable to produce a profit trying to trade BTC in the same way, due, I believe, to the above factors.
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:35:40 PM

You need a large bankroll to day trade BTC or LTC.  I find i need $10k+ approx for it to be worth it.  Without that i'd probably look to studying the pump and dump culture of new alt coins.

Your total bankroll will not decide if you are successful at day trading or not because exchanges charge trading fees based on the value of your trade. Also if you have too big of a bankroll then your trades will have too large of an impact on the market for you to be effective, even if you can time the market correctly.

NapoleonBonaparte

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:47:57 AM

You need a large bankroll to day trade BTC or LTC.  I find i need $10k+ approx for it to be worth it.  Without that i'd probably look to studying the pump and dump culture of new alt coins.

Your total bankroll will not decide if you are successful at day trading or not because exchanges charge trading fees based on the value of your trade. Also if you have too big of a bankroll then your trades will have too large of an impact on the market for you to be effective, even if you can time the market correctly.

Yes. If a trader can't trade profitable using 5k capital, he is not going to be profitable using 500k capital.

Large capital that can move market will hinder traders ability to get in and get out of market fast.
Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:57:27 AM

It depends on your strategy. Don't forget that it isn't a zero sum game, as there are fees. Slippage may also be a big cost if you are moving enough money and/or the asset you are trading isn't very liquid.
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:11:13 AM

its not profitable unless you have an edge on other day traders (e.g you own the exchange and can front run everyone).
day trading is a zero sum game, if its profitable for you it means some other day trader is losing money to you.
on average all else being equal between you and other day traders you will gain 0 and just end up paying fee's to the exchanges.
BitcoinBadger

Activity: 111

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:05:35 PM

On a large scale,I think it might be profitable.You have to spend long hours infront of BTC charts and study it

cassimares

Activity: 236

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 01:23:14 PM

I am using Bitcoin for a while now to get paid and to pay but I never have any day-traded neither did I mined any.I just love the holding game.I see many people engaged in trading on btc-e website.

I have some Bitcoins,which are already on Btc-e and also some amount of Litecoins as well as some other altcoins.

I would love to hear some expert suggestions on day trading.I know it's risky but I can afford to loose some of cryptos if in case anything goes wrong.Just a line of some clues and brief explanation on this topic is what I expect from you folks.

Hope this is the correct section to start this discussion.

Regards.

Day-trader is risky, if suddenly the market crash then you are in bad shape..

allintwo

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:56:31 PM

I have tried to daytrade before but I have only lost some coins, trading seems easy but it isn't at all.
thehappybtc

Activity: 68

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:59:59 PM

If you know what you are doing daytrading could be very profitable, but it involves study and why not some luck to be successfull.

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:55:10 PM

each investment must have a risk, let alone that we invest is bitcoin, if you want to get a bitcoin without risk, you just look for faucets that provide free bitcoin, but of course at the expense of substantial time, any time you have to claim by entering Capatcha, Capatcha used to prevent automated script programmers who want to get bitcoin easily, trade bitcoin now quite profitable, because of the rising value of the against the American dollar, maybe you can invest the little money you have, and you can add funds investment when the investment is profitable, hopefully You can invest and generate significant profits ...  Cool

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
NapoleonBonaparte

Activity: 176

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:46:56 PM

It depends on your strategy. Don't forget that it isn't a zero sum game, as there are fees. Slippage may also be a big cost if you are moving enough money and/or the asset you are trading isn't very liquid.

Trading is a negative sum game if you take fee into consideration.

More than 90% of traders failed for a reason. It isn't a game cutout for everyone.
flyingcatt

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:14:41 PM

Trading is a negative sum game if you take fee into consideration.

More than 90% of traders failed for a reason. It isn't a game cutout for everyone.
So basically only these with inside info win? Roll Eyes
pikabit

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:42:18 PM

Can anyone really make legit money with daytrading? Can I study to become a good trader and live off my own gains?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: