Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:05:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Wallet should be suggested to a newbie?  (Read 4179 times)
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:33:56 AM

Bitcoin-qt
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unexecuted

Activity: 175
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:49:04 AM

Electrum. It's ugly, but does the job well. It doesn't require users to download the entire blockchain (which is why I wouldn't recommend Armory). Electrum is also deterministic, so as long as you have the backup seed written down and stored safely, you can easily restore your funds if your computer crashes.
For iOS, breadwallet.
seventhgear

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:55:47 AM

Electrum. It's ugly, but does the job well. It doesn't require users to download the entire blockchain (which is why I wouldn't recommend Armory). Electrum is also deterministic, so as long as you have the backup seed written down and stored safely, you can easily restore your funds if your computer crashes.
For iOS, breadwallet.

I'm using Electrum and it's not ugly Cheesy
The seed recover is really useful, I feel more tranquil knowing that I can't lose my (few) coins.
CoolBliss

Activity: 97

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:06:27 PM

Mycelium. New bitcoiners might want to check out "Getting Started With Bitcoins" at http://ccwvslaw.org/item/1814, especially section "2.3 Send/spend".
Rogue_Transmission

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:14:00 PM

For iOS, breadwallet.

The seed recover is really useful, I feel more tranquil knowing that I can't lose my (few) coins.
Can you give us some screenshots?
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:34:13 PM

I'm going to suggest the same site I was suggested when I asked the same question, Blockchain.info is worth atleast checking out.  I'd also think about using bitcoin.qt
Bigbear8

Activity: 77

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 06:12:17 PM

I like Electrum easy to use , as well as blockchain wallet. not good for heavy storage and perfect for beginners.
homm88

Activity: 70

BTC/Doge

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 06:52:12 PM

If you are talking about online wallet then I suggest Coinbase wallet. Other than a newbie can use bitcoin-qt.
dankkk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:18:44 PM

For iOS, breadwallet.

Can you give us some screenshots?
I hope you are kidding about this. You do realize that you are asking this person to show you can essentially steal his coins, right?
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:51:24 PM

Are people really advocating bitcoin-qt for noobs? Noobs will not backup their wallet after every transaction so I consider this to be a bad idea. Why is armory so hard for noobs is beyond me. The armory client has 3 versions of UI and I find it to be pretty intuitive regarding back-up and transfers and wallet management.

Instead of making the noobs learn their way through Armory you would prefer to have them make a back-up after each spend they make? Maybe I am missing something. Did the bitcoin-qt client changed regarding the back-up and I am not aware of this?

neha (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 09:22:03 PM

Are people really advocating bitcoin-qt for noobs? Noobs will not backup their wallet after every transaction so I consider this to be a bad idea. Why is armory so hard for noobs is beyond me. The armory client has 3 versions of UI and I find it to be pretty intuitive regarding back-up and transfers and wallet management.

Instead of making the noobs learn their way through Armory you would prefer to have them make a back-up after each spend they make? Maybe I am missing something. Did the bitcoin-qt client changed regarding the back-up and I am not aware of this?

This is what I am not understanding. I have to be missing something. In the new Armory, we dont even need to run the Bitcoin QT separately. Although, if you want to setup a cold storage, the process gets a little complicated considering you need a couple of computers, but even as is, Armory is way superior rather most superior with the kind of backup and restore they provide. Bitcoin QT does not provide any such feature.

Of course Electrum is faster and little easier considering no downloads and the benefits you loose out in comparison to Armory would probably not matter to a newbie.

wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:19:07 PM

I agree. I think it is really not a good idea for a newbie to use QT, especially considering how common it is for people (including newbies) to invest large amounts in bitcoin.

Several years ago this would have been different when it was easy to mine bitcoin (difficulty low when compared to the electric cost of mining), and people would generally only buy/have small amounts of bitcoin when measured in terms of dollars.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:34:53 PM

This is what I am not understanding. I have to be missing something. In the new Armory, we dont even need to run the Bitcoin QT separately. Although, if you want to setup a cold storage, the process gets a little complicated considering you need a couple of computers, but even as is, Armory is way superior rather most superior with the kind of backup and restore they provide. Bitcoin QT does not provide any such feature.

Of course Electrum is faster and little easier considering no downloads and the benefits you loose out in comparison to Armory would probably not matter to a newbie.

Does any of these wallets discussed here provides send to many feature by reading a CSV doc, e.g. Excel ?

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:25:03 PM

I think newbies can also use Circle with 2fa(which is mandatory with setup). I believe circle stated that withdrawing funds also required 2fa by default, but i was able to withdraw coins without 2fa
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:29:35 PM

Sure go for Electrum, but not bitcoin qt! Also I think that newbies don't need cold storage and if they have big amounts invested in bitcoin they can surely take the time to learn about the whole process or at least have someone teach them how to do it.

Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 12:23:11 AM

PC: Trezor or Armory with offline wallet (cold storage)
Android: Mycelium (only for small amounts)
LiberyOrDeath

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:16:05 AM

If you are talking about online wallet then I suggest Coinbase wallet. Other than a newbie can use bitcoin-qt.

People - stay away from online wallets ! Even if they are as bulletproof as some of you claim - like blockchain or coinbase. I would not store a satoshi in there unless it is for a short term period - and by this I mean hours, not even days.

Do not get burned like many did before (me included - lost 5 btc by InstaWallet scam back in early 2013). Store your coins in a proper wallet, this is not a child's play - it's real assets that we are talking about here.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 02:17:00 AM

Sure go for Electrum, but not bitcoin qt! Also I think that newbies don't need cold storage and if they have big amounts invested in bitcoin they can surely take the time to learn about the whole process or at least have someone teach them how to do it.
I think this is something that is very dangerous for a newbie to try to do. Especially when it is not in a not public environment (via PM or at your house for example) as no one will be able to look at the advice being given and can say the advice is good/bad. I would personally almost assume that someone giving advice in private is going to tell a newbie to do something that would make it easy for the person giving advice to easily steal the bitcoin being put in cold storage.
neha (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 05:37:58 AM

Well as a service provider, we have to give some advice to the newbies signing up for our service and thus the advice wont be private. But yes, we do plan to put some informational video on the site so that they can make an informed decision and the videos will be there to assist them setup with whatever wallet they choose.

Our whole platform is designed to make it easy for the people to transact in bitcoins but we are not a wallet service. Thus it will be advised to them to save their funds in the wallet of their choice and only deposit money with us what they intend to spend. However, we are not going to be politically correct and say all wallets are equal but do give an opinion attached based on the security atleast along with a disclaimer.

I have not tried Trezor but I will surely check it out.

neha (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 05:38:57 AM

Does any of these wallets discussed here provides send to many feature by reading a CSV doc, e.g. Excel ?

Electrum

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: