Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:58:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Wallet should be suggested to a newbie?  (Read 4181 times)
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:40:32 PM

Sure go for Electrum, but not bitcoin qt! Also I think that newbies don't need cold storage and if they have big amounts invested in bitcoin they can surely take the time to learn about the whole process or at least have someone teach them how to do it.
I think this is something that is very dangerous for a newbie to try to do. Especially when it is not in a not public environment (via PM or at your house for example) as no one will be able to look at the advice being given and can say the advice is good/bad. I would personally almost assume that someone giving advice in private is going to tell a newbie to do something that would make it easy for the person giving advice to easily steal the bitcoin being put in cold storage.

You didn't get it. Having someone teach you how to setup a cold wallet isn't the equivalent of actually using those wallets. It means that the newbie can learn and he can do it by himself at home. If you are recommending an wallet, you can also tell him to protect his future private keys/wallet like real money. Once the newbies knows all the process of setting up a cold wallet he can do it for an infinite times.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 09:13:33 PM

For iOS, breadwallet.

Strongly agree. And I say that as someone who has played around with all of the available iOS wallets. Deterministic plus beautiful and incredibly easy to use interface.

Does breadwallet have an address book?

Address books sort of encourage address reuse don't they? I'll be adding support for stealth addresses in future. There needs to be something along those lines to meet the fixed address use case in a way that doesn't actually re-use bitcoin addresses.
dankkk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 09:20:31 PM

Sure go for Electrum, but not bitcoin qt! Also I think that newbies don't need cold storage and if they have big amounts invested in bitcoin they can surely take the time to learn about the whole process or at least have someone teach them how to do it.
I think this is something that is very dangerous for a newbie to try to do. Especially when it is not in a not public environment (via PM or at your house for example) as no one will be able to look at the advice being given and can say the advice is good/bad. I would personally almost assume that someone giving advice in private is going to tell a newbie to do something that would make it easy for the person giving advice to easily steal the bitcoin being put in cold storage.

You didn't get it. Having someone teach you how to setup a cold wallet isn't the equivalent of actually using those wallets. It means that the newbie can learn and he can do it by himself at home. If you are recommending an wallet, you can also tell him to protect his future private keys/wallet like real money. Once the newbies knows all the process of setting up a cold wallet he can do it for an infinite times.
How would a newbie know that he needs to set up their own cold wallet on their own? Wouldn't you think it would be a lot easier to simply use the wallet that the person who is helping you sets up with you? It would be a lot easier but it would be less secure this way, but the newbie would not know it is necessary to set up the cold wallet independently unless he was told so, but if the person helping is going to try to scam/steal then he would not tell him as such. 
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 09:29:38 PM

I agree. Even if you start off with an online wallet like Coinbase or Circle, you should still be learning the ins and outs of cold storage and managing your own private keys. Even if you dont have that much invested, you still are just as likely to have the stolen.  Additionally, what is worth very little now, could be worth a lot more in the future.
hikedoon

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 01:56:48 AM

Blockchain.info is easy for the newbie to use.
    I'm a newbie and that's what I use.
  The support is good too if you fuck something up,like I did. Embarrassed  (thank you Mandrik)

Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:31:18 AM

Blockchain.info all the way, it's an online wallet though.
CSI_Tech_Dept

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 09:53:30 AM

These two are suitable for newbies
blockchain.info
bitcoin-qt
validium

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 01:47:29 PM

I find blockchain.info to be easiest for newbies before they learn to secure their computers from malware thus being able to use installable wallets like multibit

Ramones

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 10:04:02 PM

bitcoin-qt is pretty easy to use.
Also it has all you need.
pajrinn

Activity: 234

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:15:22 AM

I find blockchain.info to be easiest for newbies before they learn to secure their computers from malware thus being able to use installable wallets like multibit
yes I think so ,
my first wallet it's blockchain, and really easy for newbie  Grin
ellen_me

Activity: 158

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 07:51:13 AM

yes I think so ,
my first wallet it's blockchain, and really easy for newbie  Grin

Yah, fast and easy.  Cheesy

mraveragejoe

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 07:57:16 AM

Electrum is more secure than any online wallets if you don't use cracked softwares.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:21:33 AM

Every wallet have its pros and cons but some are more suited to newbies and others to experienced users.
I would recommen online wallets to the less tech savvy ones and the offline wallets to people who know how to secure their computers.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:04:27 AM

Electrum and MultiBit are rather easy to use, if you're on Windows, Linux, or OS X. I like both of them quite a lot. I think the regular BitcoinQT client is too heavy, has to download the whole blockchain and looks very dull or even poorly made. Of course this doesn't say anything about the core of Bitcoin, but it's just a bad impression on people new to it.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:09:10 AM

Bitcoin Armory for long storage. For day to day use, Multibit or Electrum are perfectly fine and easy to use. Using web-based wallets like blockchain.info might not always be a good idea, it's better to be the only one who has the actual private key to your coins!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: