Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:42:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Predictions : Mining of new bitcoins stops tommorow  (Read 3139 times)
arxwn (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 07:42:14 AM

What would happen if no new bitcoins are created ?
Would the ecosystem sustain itself or would we see miners leave for greener/newer pastures.
My prediction is that since bitcoin creation is slowed incrementally the last of the bitcoins wouldn't matter so much since the market would not be accustomed to constant infusion of money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 08:04:49 AM

Nothing.

Maybe price will go up and maybe will fall down. This is something that cant be predicted also it cant be predicted price for cryptos.
Seem like that it will take some time to pass before some changes accouter off course that mean that lot of companies get involved in cryptos

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

arxwn (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 08:19:56 AM

If there is something more profitable in the cryptoworld companies would just move there.
Currently large part of the bitcoin pushing crowd is early adoptors that ended up with vast amounts of money and obviously want to protect their investement by recycling some of it to new ventures. The quality of the ventures will eventually determine if this thing is sustainable.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 08:27:29 AM

I'd wait for the next difficulty adjustment, which would make mining FAR easier, then fire up my CPU miner and become a millionaire over night.

Unfortunately for me, your scenario is exactly as absurd as saying, "what would happen if all the banks decided to leave the vaults unlocked & open, and turned the cameras off?"

Miners are being rewarded (paid) to secure the network. It's profitable because it benefits Bitcoin.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
arxwn (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 08:29:53 AM

I'd wait for the next difficulty adjustment, which would make mining FAR easier, then fire up my CPU miner and become a millionaire over night.

Unfortunately for me, your scenario is exactly as absurd as saying, "what would happen if all the banks decided to leave the vaults unlocked & open, and turned the cameras off?"

I believe you misunderstood. I mean bitcoin mining finished , 21 millions are created. Only transaction fees for miners.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 08:47:47 AM

I believe you misunderstood. I mean bitcoin mining finished , 21 millions are created. Only transaction fees for miners.
Ohhhhhh, you're hypothesizing about distant future scenarios and for some reason using the word "tomorrow".

Still just as absurd. But to answer your question, imagine what would happen to the price of gold if tomorrow they announced the very last ounce of gold had been mined, and there was no more left to be found in the entire universe.

Think back to economics 101 when you learned about supply and demand. What happens when demand remains the same, but supply drops to zero?

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:02:37 AM

I believe it's really hard to predict what may happen if bitcoin mining stopped after it reached 21 million. The only way of knowing exactly what would happen is for it to happen and take it from there. Prices could drop to a big time low or they could rise pretty high it's something nobody is sure of.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:22:58 AM

Probably a (temporary?) spike in the price
remember much of the present downard price pressure is due to miners switching 70-90% of new btc's into fiat to pay bills

ellen_me

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:53:52 AM

I BTC mining stops, there will be just exchanges and the value will either rise or fall. Tongue

hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:55:32 AM

when your scenario comes true, accumulated transaction fee may exceed the current mining reward per block. The miners are still rewarded and keep mining to secure the network.
BitcoinBadger

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:01:59 PM

Would the ecosystem sustain itself or would we see miners leave for greener/newer pastures.
My prediction is that since bitcoin creation is slowed incrementally the last of the bitcoins wouldn't matter so much since the market would not be accustomed to constant infusion of money.
Yes the other currencies are one queue.The future is uncertain there are many other cryptos using the same algorithm as bitcoin
iCrypt

Activity: 83

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:20:17 PM

Yes the other currencies are one queue.The future is uncertain there are many other cryptos using the same algorithm as bitcoin

Using the same equations does not equate to uncertainty. Rather, it strengthens the blockchain technology.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 01:20:34 PM

You need to read this: http://trilema.com/2014/the-woes-of-altcoin-or-why-there-is-no-such-thing-as-cryptocurrencies/

There can only be one, and Bitcoin is it.

P.S.
http://trilema.com/2013/things-that-matter-these-days-things-that-dont-matter-these-days is a related and also very excellent read

iCrypt

Activity: 83

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:31:26 PM

First come first served is what I like to call it.
MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:38:20 PM

Well miners would still take their money from fees, but the point is mute seeing as the creation of bitcoin isnt going to stop tomorrow or anytime soon.

MoonTime

Activity: 96

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:20:57 PM

Probably nothing hard. System will still survive. But I worry about transaction times..
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:23:42 PM

If you all did that... I would become the mining king with my Commodore 64. Greed is what keeps this from happening.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:40:11 PM

Without a block reward, transaction fees determine the security of the network. In order for Bitcoin to survive, total transaction fees will have to be much higher, whether by paying a higher fee per transaction or by increasing the number of transactions (or both). This will happen soon. We are already reaching the point where free transactions are not getting confirmed.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Fearless

Activity: 89

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:10:37 PM

If bitcoins stop coming then there won't be any drastic/major effect on rates and market. However if miners are all removed then it will pose lot of problems in transactions confirmation. BTC will have to require additional systems of its own for verification.
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:14:04 PM

If your at all curious what happens to a currency when it has been completely mined, I recall a few months ago someone in the community making a coin called "preminecoin"

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=427519.0

This coin when released was entirely mined out, I am not sure how the coins were distributed to users but the only way to earn PMC right now is collecting the TX fees you get when users send the coins around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: