Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:16:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kuwait electricity  (Read 2041 times)
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:15:27 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing

Apparently electricity in Kuwait is 1 cent per kwh

Is this true? o.O

I found this too

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=256565.0;wap2

General googling confirms it's even less then 1 cent

Would it be worth it creating a mining farm in Kuwait, how easy would it be to create one

Looking for a signature campaign.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:51:00 PM

Creating a mining farm in a middle eastern country as a foreigner who doesn't speak the language and where the temperature is consistently over 100F would probably be 10 times harder than starting one in Washington State or Texas where kw/h costs are around 5 cents.

mwizard

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:56:19 PM

Thought you might like this from http://www.eia.gov/countries/cab.cfm?fips=ku

"Kuwait has come to embody the difficulties facing the region's electricity networks, with rapid demand growth causing rolling blackouts at times of peak energy demand. Slow implementation of development plans rooted in the political infighting between the Emir and the National Assembly, as well as a lack of natural gas feedstock, has created chronic shortages in electricity supply during the hot summer months. Formerly having one of the largest reserve margins in the region, Kuwait is perpetually in a state of electricity supply shortage and experiences frequent blackouts and brownouts each summer. In the past decade, the development of Kuwait's electricity sector has stalled because of political factors and lack of investment, despite average annual demand growth of 6 percent. Only one power plant was commissioned during that time, bringing a comfortable reserve margin to a shortage beginning in 2006. According to the World Bank, Kuwait was the world's third largest electricity consumer on a per capita basis in 2010."

iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:50:15 PM

Creating a mining farm in a middle eastern country as a foreigner who doesn't speak the language and where the temperature is consistently over 100F would probably be 10 times harder than starting one in Washington State or Texas where kw/h costs are around 5 cents.

you do know that only 20% of Kuwait is Kuwaiti?

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:56:39 PM

You just know Kuwaitis would riot in the streets if power costs jumped to something completely outrageous like 2 or maybe even 3 cents per kilowatt hour.

Government subsidies for energy disconnect the population from the real cost of consumption while delivering chronic shortages in funding for infrastructure. 
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 07:18:46 PM

Not only that, the electricity price for industrial facilities is even more heavily subsidized than for consumer use. The industrial rate is about $0.0035/KWH. Kuwait is trying to encourage industrial development.
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:44:22 AM

Not only that, the electricity price for industrial facilities is even more heavily subsidized than for consumer use. The industrial rate is about $0.0035/KWH. Kuwait is trying to encourage industrial development.

oh my god

starting a mining farm over there is a must Cheesy

airpline1

Activity: 144

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:25:25 PM

As someone from Kuwait, yes, its true, 2 Fils kWh, but I simply don't pay it, my father does, but the problem is if you start let's say a farm, you NEED cooling, since temperatures here are higher than any other, (Yes, higher than Arizona), So  I guess you would pay for a lot of cooling. Otherwise, I like it  Roll Eyes
airpline1

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:26:53 PM

Unfortunatly, All we have here are Indians and Filipinos, I don't mean to come off as a racist, but damn Indians need a bath. (also I AM NOT RACIST)
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:32:18 PM

As someone from Kuwait, yes, its true, 2 Fils kWh, but I simply don't pay it, my father does, but the problem is if you start let's say a farm, you NEED cooling, since temperatures here are higher than any other, (Yes, higher than Arizona), So  I guess you would pay for a lot of cooling. Otherwise, I like it  Roll Eyes

paying a lot for cooling at 0.0035$ per kwh?

I don't think so Cheesy

air conditioning ftw Cheesy

Unfortunatly, All we have here are Indians and Filipinos, I don't mean to come off as a racist, but damn Indians need a bath. (also I AM NOT RACIST)

don't worry, I'm from Croatia

we're pretty clean here Cheesy

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:45:39 AM

Evaporative cooling works great in desert environments and is much more efficient than air conditioning. And most current mining gear doesn't need to be chilled to frigid temperatures to properly operate.

I live in Las Vegas and have had KNC Super Jupiter modules running all summer in my garage at temperatures well above 100f with absolutely no cooling other than a box fan to move the air. And I have recently added some S3s. Previously I was running BFL Singles and S1s in the garage but shut them down because of electricity cost.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 06:15:11 AM

Evaporative cooling works great in desert environments and is much more efficient than air conditioning. And most current mining gear doesn't need to be chilled to frigid temperatures to properly operate.

I live in Las Vegas and have had KNC Super Jupiter modules running all summer in my garage at temperatures well above 100f with absolutely no cooling other than a box fan to move the air. And I have recently added some S3s. Previously I was running BFL Singles and S1s in the garage but shut them down because of electricity cost.
Those are some pretty serious temperature extremes.   Frankly I'm a little surprised you didn't burn any of them out.  I've heard that the technique your mentioning is what they are using in over half a dozen warehouse farm's over in China with the evaporation cooling technique.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 06:20:48 AM

Those are some pretty serious temperature extremes.   Frankly I'm a little surprised you didn't burn any of them out.  I've heard that the technique your mentioning is what they are using in over half a dozen warehouse farm's over in China with the evaporation cooling technique.

Not only have they not burned out, they run only few degrees warmer than other units that I have in the air conditioned house.
lowbander80
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:45:35 PM

no they dont get burned running all summer in South east europe with outside temps 32-38c with proper air-ventilation
on each miner thankfully we passed the highs and coming to more sensible 22-32c range
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 05:46:19 PM

No I am ignorant and a moron.

Rubber Ducky

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 06:31:11 PM

They work all day in the hot sun so of course they are going to smell. Perhaps if you paid them more and provided them with better accommodation they could take frequent baths. Oh and you are racist.
airpline1

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:49:25 PM

They work all day in the hot sun so of course they are going to smell. Perhaps if you paid them more and provided them with better accommodation they could take frequent baths. Oh and you are racist.

Buddy, we offer them a lot of things, THEY GO TO FUCKIN' MALLS AND HAVE BETTER FUCKIN' Phones! And You tell me that we should pay them more? Hell, IF we paid him more than 200KD, he would slack off and think that he's king and shit. That's why we lowered it. I don't think you understand Indians much in Kuwait. You pay them MORE, They are your boss. simple.
Rubber Ducky

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:31:34 PM

Buddy, we offer them a lot of things, THEY GO TO FUCKIN' MALLS AND HAVE BETTER FUCKIN' Phones! And You tell me that we should pay them more? Hell, IF we paid him more than 200KD, he would slack off and think that he's king and shit. That's why we lowered it. I don't think you understand Indians much in Kuwait. You pay them MORE, They are your boss. simple.

Wow, you really are a piece of work aren't you?
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 07:54:27 AM

If someone proclaims they are not racist, they are.  Wink
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 08:39:45 AM

(drunk warning)
I think the issue comes when we're looking at ASICs and GPU farms like traditional server rooms. Modern GPUs, for instance, can run 70-100*C all day every day, no problem, with exhaust in excess of 125*F. This isn't old, dusty equipment we plan on keeping operational for 20 years and which we absolutely need to not spontaneously combust at any time, but new, clean equipment able to hold its own in high-temperature environments we plan on being in an operational state for maybe 3-5 years. Is it better for the hardware to run it in a <75*F room with good airflow vs. a 110*F room with good airflow? Hell yeah, but fuck your hardware - money's more important. (and fire extinguishers! and keeping your hardware spaced apart!) People put themselves in ev- situations just because they want to be safe - because they're over-invested, I'd guess.

-So when people start coming up with dumbass ideas like putting their hardware in a closed mini-fridge, I start getting pissed off. 70*F highs in Summer vs 100*F highs in Summer doesn't make THAT big of a difference when your GPU can fucking boil water. You just want to get as much of that scalding-hot heat out. Maintaining clean airflow's way more cost/energy-efficient, quieter, and multitudes less retarded than trying to use air conditioning (with very, very few exceptions). Nature's air, in the majority of cases, is your best bet - just make sure it ain't skanky-ass dirty. I can't even imagine how filthy rich HVAC companies in Chinese and Indian cities are.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: