Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:17:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a bad idea to have a wallet with 10s of thousands of addresses?  (Read 2865 times)
CryptoPanda (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:50:06 AM

Are there known cases of people having problems just because of the sheer number of addresses they've generated in their bitcoind wallets?
Any info on actual limits?
airpline1

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:06:19 AM

I don't think there are any limits, and I don't think it would crash it, if you're afraid it will however, just avoid it.
It's not worth trying it to find out, and maybe causing trouble with your wallet.
CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:54:51 AM

That's good to know.
Should we expect performance issues though? For example the wallet grows to 90mb in just few months, and it's being encrypted and decrypted all the time.
sifter

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

CoinBooster Rep

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 06:01:23 AM

That's good to know.
Should we expect performance issues though? For example the wallet grows to 90mb in just few months, and it's being encrypted and decrypted all the time.

It may take a bit longer to Decrypt and encrypt.

CoinBooster.io - Earn up to 67mil satoshi per day. Claim every 5 minutes. NO POP UPS! HIGH ROI
Bitcointalk Official Thread
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:27:17 PM

If you have 1 address and do a rescan it will take X time...

if you hve 50X addresses and do a rescsan it can take 50X time, kinda.
Well I don't think its exactly like that, but along those lines...

I don't have the best laptop... no SSD etc... and a rescan for 1 addy tpok 20 mins recently for me.
then another wallet with 7 addresses took 55 minutes... so ts like not it took X * 20 = total time... X being addresses, 20 minutes being the average scam time... but for me it did make a large difference... but not cant 7x longer.

Why not sending all your coins into a single fresh new wallet if you are concerned?

HELP.org

Activity: 510

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 02:48:21 PM

Awhile back I imported the private key for "correct horse battery staple" and it had so many transactions it kept crashing Armory when I tried to scan the blockchain.  Armory has since updated their wallet but I had already removed the address due to the time it took to open the wallet.  That is number of transactions rather than addresses but I expect the same thing would happen.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 09:17:14 AM

Well rescan is not really a concern here, since we are talking about bitcoind node that's up 24/7 on a dedicated server.
I'm more concerned if it would make using the wallet slower for the front end app or cause other problems.
HELP.org

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 11:50:19 AM

Well rescan is not really a concern here, since we are talking about bitcoind node that's up 24/7 on a dedicated server.
I'm more concerned if it would make using the wallet slower for the front end app or cause other problems.

That doesn't matter because Armory takes the blockchain data and reprocesses it into the Armory database and that is what takes long.  Rescan means Armory is scanning that data for transactions associated with the addresses in the wallet. 

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
HELP.org

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 12:09:38 PM

That doesn't matter because Armory takes the blockchain data and reprocesses it into the Armory database and that is what takes long.  Rescan means Armory is scanning that data for transactions associated with the addresses in the wallet. 
who the f*** is talking about armory at all dude?
Check OP twice, please.

Either way, "dude," scanning and keeping the node updated are 2 different things.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
johnnyrocket

Activity: 123
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:58:32 AM

Generating and dealing with tens of thousands of addresses shouldn't cause a problem with bitcoind on a dedicated server, no. Once you hit "millions" and beyond, you might see some slowdown in performance -- this is why you'll see exchanges occasionally moving to new wallets because of bloat.
carlosbtc

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:01:42 AM

You may have unlimited of bitcoin address on your server
Rubber Ducky

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:17:33 AM

who the f*** is talking about armory at all dude?
Check OP twice, please.

Either way, "dude," scanning and keeping the node updated are 2 different things.

Well nobody is talking about scanning either. You high bro?

I think that's a woman you are talking to. No really.

Anyway, on topic, I did hear about btc-e facing problems because they had 100s of thousands of addresses to track. Most exchanges use custom software because of this sort of thing.
kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2014, 03:27:19 AM

exchanges have 10ks of adresses and work fine

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2014, 06:09:23 AM

probably fine, it becomes an issue based on the number of transactions per address.  I have an old phone with bitcoinj on it (shildenbach's wallet)  It was getting ridiculous using the same address for mining payouts so I had to export it to another wallet to deal with it and changed addresses to deal with it (when selling coin in person).

kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 04:21:09 AM

wallet can have loads of adresses - just look at exchanges

buffett

Activity: 59

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:02:59 AM

transfering out btc become very very slow (5-20 seconds per tx) when you have >20k active addresses.
SecureExchange

Activity: 47

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:07:24 PM

transfering out btc become very very slow (5-20 seconds per tx) when you have >20k active addresses.

I dont think so.

Any decent proof for this ?
Rainstorm

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:12:30 AM

Are there known cases of people having problems just because of the sheer number of addresses they've generated in their bitcoind wallets?

the question is, is it really necessary?
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 09:30:46 AM

the question is, is it really necessary?

Some persons don't reuse addresses though they might not delete it from the wallet, so if they somehow get any BTC into the old address they can still get it. If the wallet is too old, then it may contain too much addresses. OR if you do something related to company and all, you may have these much addresses. Anyway, that's not the point here. Roll Eyes

I didn't hard any limits, yet. I think there is no limit. But if you generate too much addresses in your wallet, it may become slow unless your GHz increases.

~~MZ~~

buffett

Activity: 59

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 03:05:32 PM

what do you mean by active addresses and why it becomes slow?

active address i mean if the address is not empty.

bitcoind is pain in the ass in large scale
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: