Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:33:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MIT’s bookstore to accept Bitcoins from students  (Read 1426 times)
gonnafly (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:03:49 PM

MIT’s Kendall Square bookstore might be the first campus retail shop in the country to accept Bitcoins from students

The aim of the club is to provide forums where students can discuss, develop, and study  Bitcoin-related ideas, projects, programs, and businesses. “We believe Bitcoin has the potential to be not just a digital currency, but the future of money,” according to the group.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2014/09/04/mit-coop-kendall-square-bitcoin/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:23:08 PM

Pretty damn cool
That said, one would expect vendors on the campus of one of the worlds foremost tech universities to be enthusiastic adopters of new technology

asganauei

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:30:59 PM

That's really nice, if the new students will start to adopt bitcoins then the word will spread in no time.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:00:15 AM

Some news say some universities offer BTC related course, which wil escalate the adoption between students. Campus retail shop will let the students experience purchasing something with BTC. If the students from this generation get education about BTC. After gratuating from school, they definitely will be supportive force of the masses adoption of BTC.
CoolBliss

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:10:56 PM

Misleading title. This is a third-party bookstore.
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:31:45 PM

This is great news. Students are the ones that do need to be targeted I feel as they may have more of an interest in bitcoin. It's one way to get the word out there, show them that bitcoin is not as bad as many make it out to be and that it is the future if people do give it a chance. Looking forward to seeing how well this works.
BeeTeeSea

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:52:56 PM

It's a 3rd party shoop in MIT or an official MIT bookstore?  Huh
Altminer79

Activity: 76

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:57:49 PM

MIT’s Kendall Square bookstore might be the first campus retail shop in the country to accept Bitcoins from students

The aim of the club is to provide forums where students can discuss, develop, and study  Bitcoin-related ideas, projects, programs, and businesses. “We believe Bitcoin has the potential to be not just a digital currency, but the future of money,” according to the group.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2014/09/04/mit-coop-kendall-square-bitcoin/
Educational sector's acceptance of bitcoin may lead to huge publicity of the coin amongst the people.It is a good news
dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:46:42 PM

I would think the rational behind this is due to the fact that MIT students have received $100 worth of bitcoin they now likely want to spend it somehow. Since college books are horribly overpriced, and college students are generally poor, what better way to capture some additional money from students then accepting bitcoin to get more of a student's limited amount of money?
illymoka

Activity: 133

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 09:35:03 AM

The Coop in Kendal Square (MIT's bookstore) also has a Bitcoin ATM in it Smiley
polunna

Activity: 57

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:22:16 PM

I hope this doesn't funnel 95% of the bestowed BTC out of their budding economy before it even gets rolling.
lovegood

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:37:04 PM

Here's a fun thought: the price can remain stagnant, or even drop, and all this transacting through Bitcoin network can continue.
bambino

Activity: 111

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:58:29 PM

I think this is good news but it may be better to provide the 100 dollars to each student in a staggered format. Instead of 100 lump sum maybe 2 payments of $50, 1 at the beginning of the semester and 1 at the middle or at the start of next semester. Or 4 payments of $25. This would also protect students from getting hit hard by a large drop in price by dollar cost averaging it for them.
littlewizard

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:21:27 AM

Good job, I think the freshmen from MIT received some Bitcoins for free this year, so they can buy books. Hopefully other services also accept bitcoin.
MightyStorm

Activity: 602

God is with us

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 01:05:06 PM

Do they have a book buyback program? Do they even have these anymore? If so, I wonder if they could get paid in Bitcoin?

D E P O ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DEPOSITORY NETWORK | WP   :   ENG   CN   RUS
FOLLOW US: ► TELEGRAM    ► TWITTER                                  The World’s   F i r s t   D e c e n t r a l i z e d
                                                ► LINKEDIN      ► FACEBOOK        BUY DEPO         M u l t i - P l a t f o r m   Collateral   I n f r a s t r u c t u r e
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 01:12:34 PM

Only the bookstore !!! THEY should accept it everywhere... Cool Cool

littlebeetle

Activity: 45

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:55:08 PM

Do they have a book buyback program? Do they even have these anymore? If so, I wonder if they could get paid in Bitcoin?

Buyback does exist. It all depends on how the store runs it.
College bookstores tend to not hire much IT, so they often heavily rely on packaged solutions from vendors that roll the entire program into one system. Managing the supply and demand for a book, determining how much a book is worth at a given moment, and where that bookstore should send it to be resold (since not all buyback books go back on the shelf at the same school). This is a lot easier for stores to manage if they don't have to deal with those logistics.

In some schools, the money is handled by the actual store, so they pay you out of their own account, then bill the buyback vendor for those books. (Minus the ones that they keep for themselves)

In other stores, it's the other way around, where you're given the vendor's money, and the bookstore ships away what it doesn't want and pays the vendor back for what it does. (This is easier for accounting because the store doesn't have this new type of transaction that's always a refund, them gets offset a month later. They just buy what they keep as if they bought it from any other publisher, and ship away the rest without having to deal with it because it never goes through the regular till or inventory).

So if a store is implementing the second system, they're really at the mercy of what the vendor will offer for refunds. And with the first system, volatility is an issue as always, since the store might not get the dollars back for those books for a few weeks.
AllYouCanDo

Activity: 23

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 03:06:41 PM

I think this is good news but it may be better to provide the 100 dollars to each student in a staggered format. Instead of 100 lump sum maybe 2 payments of $50, 1 at the beginning of the semester and 1 at the middle or at the start of next semester. Or 4 payments of $25. This would also protect students from getting hit hard by a large drop in price by dollar cost averaging it for them.

I heard two of the MIT Bitcoin Club guys speak at the NYC Bitcoin Center a couple months ago. They hadn't figured it out yet exactly at that time, but they are planning to do something along the lines of what you're proposing. I don't know the specifics.
Bizzaran

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 04:14:23 PM

Buyback does exist. It all depends on how the store runs it.
College bookstores tend to not hire much IT, so they often heavily rely on packaged solutions from vendors that roll the entire program into one system. Managing the supply and demand for a book, determining how much a book is worth at a given moment, and where that bookstore should send it to be resold (since not all buyback books go back on the shelf at the same school). This is a lot easier for stores to manage if they don't have to deal with those logistics.

In some schools, the money is handled by the actual store, so they pay you out of their own account, then bill the buyback vendor for those books. (Minus the ones that they keep for themselves)

In other stores, it's the other way around, where you're given the vendor's money, and the bookstore ships away what it doesn't want and pays the vendor back for what it does. (This is easier for accounting because the store doesn't have this new type of transaction that's always a refund, them gets offset a month later. They just buy what they keep as if they bought it from any other publisher, and ship away the rest without having to deal with it because it never goes through the regular till or inventory).

So if a store is implementing the second system, they're really at the mercy of what the vendor will offer for refunds. And with the first system, volatility is an issue as always, since the store might not get the dollars back for those books for a few weeks.

When I was in college, they had the "student" book store, where they sold the used books. You could get about 1/3 back and buy used at about 1/5 off new pricing. I don't know if they had any buyback from vendors. I do remember that the model was dying, as a number of the professors were creating their own books, or supplemental book. They of course had a revised edition just about every other term to guarantee new sales, which killed any buyback opportunity.
AriceInWonderland

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 05:14:08 PM

so what does that work out to, about 5btc per semester?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: