Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:09:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck in Istanbul, Turkey with no cash  (Read 2311 times)
valex231 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:57:39 PM

Hey,

I am traveling across Europe, Middle East and Asia. So far I have crossed 13 countries. Now I am I'm Istanbul and out of cash. I have no bank account. i am using bitcoins and cash only as its my way of distancing from global finance system.

Could anybody suggest how I could sell 1+ bitcoin in Istanbul? Interrupting my trip and going back to Europe would suck.

Thank you kindly for your help.
MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:06:11 PM

Either use local bitcoins or try get someone to buy them off you from the currency exchange here. I'm sure you could get cash quickly via western union or something like that.

BunsenBurner

Activity: 653

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:16:41 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2014, 05:31:59 PM by BunsenBurner

+1 for localbitcoins. Just go there to find a buyer in Istanbul willing to pay cash, and have fun with your new bitcoin friend. Smiley

BTW, travelling around the world with just bitcoin is a brilliant idea.

EDIT: fixed a typo.

Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:23:22 PM

Yep, localbitcoins is quick just find local seller, and meet him personally. Aren't there any BitcoinATM in Istanbul? google it

BunsenBurner

Activity: 653

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:36:29 PM

Yep, localbitcoins is quick just find local seller, and meet him personally. Aren't there any BitcoinATM in Istanbul? google it

There is indeed a Bitcoin ATM located in the Instanbul Ataturk Airport http://www.travelersbox.com/#map
But from the site description, it seems to be just a one way (selling bitcoin) ATM...

valex231 (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 07:23:51 PM

Localcoins no good. The only person buying with cash has a minimum balance requirement of 15BTC Sad
The ATM at the airport is one way only. The money gram or similar will rape me with fees and commission.
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:23:31 PM

Localcoins no good. The only person buying with cash has a minimum balance requirement of 15BTC Sad
The ATM at the airport is one way only. The money gram or similar will rape me with fees and commission.

Then just ask, ask, ask around ... or hang a sign around neck "selling bitcoins cheap" .. or in Turkish?
have you tried Turkish section of forum?  use google translator  Wink

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596

Well hello there!

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:57:17 AM

If you can make it to the city of Izmir the localbitcoins user MoneyTeam appears to be purchasing bitcoin for TRY's and according to his feedback has 4 successful trades with various people.

source: https://localbitcoins.com/ad/115313/sell-bitcoins-for-cash-izmir-turkey

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
ihuntbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:32:40 PM

Well, Localbitcoins with a local person in person in real life, its the best.
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 01:04:49 PM

There are some people in the market place here on the forum buying bitcoin for Western Union and Moneygram. If you can find an outlet where you are you can sell the bitcoin and receive money through WU or MG but you have to pay for the fees. And I would suggest you to always use escrow to be on the safer side. Good luck.

kodeon.CEO

Activity: 39

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:48:34 PM

+1 for localbitcoins. Just go there to find a buyer in Istanbul willing to pay cash, and have fun with your new bitcoin friend. Smiley

BTW, travelling around the world with just bitcoin is a brilliant idea.

EDIT: fixed a typo.

It's Not a brilliant Idea if no where accepts Bitcoin yet. I would wait until more places accept Bitcoin and then travel. You could end up in a big hole if you are not able to sell any of your Bitcoins to buy food.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 12:12:48 AM

Localbiitcoins is most likely.  You might check blockchain and see if there are places around you that take it aswell then you don't have to see all of it just some.
deepestfear

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:34:16 AM

Get onto coinmap and check who accepts btc in Istanbul
My guess is there is a thriving btc community out there

silvestar
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 05:55:33 PM

OP hasn't been online for the past 2 days.
I hope he has been continuing his journey without any trouble and is too busy sightseeing and shopping. Smiley
johnnyrocket

Activity: 123
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:26:26 PM

Traveling the world with Bitcoin is an awesome idea for a blog series, especially if you can incorporate at least a basic level of decent photography to help add to the impact. Good luck!
valkyrie69

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 08:01:04 PM

Traveling the world with Bitcoin is an awesome idea for a blog series, especially if you can incorporate at least a basic level of decent photography to help add to the impact. Good luck!

There are quite a few people doing that. I picked up this blog on another part of the forum just yesterday and I found it fascinating to hear how he got on. In fact it was what drew me into this thread! http://www.thecoinsman.com/2014/08/bitcoin/my-bitcoin-trip-to-europe/
littlewizard

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:08:36 AM

Hopefully someone in Istanbul who is interested in purchasing Bitcoin see your post and contact you for buying bitcoin.
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 08:12:55 AM

alternative way is you have to find people who want to buy bitcoin in your place now, you can ask via facebook, twitter or other social media, or you can search for a bitcoin exchanger so that you can redeem bitcoin that you have and transfer the results to account you, and you just pull the result at an ATM (automatic teller machine) ... it's so easy ...  Grin

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
valex231 (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 09:30:30 AM

Still in Istanbul, with no cash:(

Tried asking gold sellers in grand bazaar, but no luck. Will post link on Turkish forum recommended above.
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2120

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 09:53:52 AM

I'm sure we will find someone to help you.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████