Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:43:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another POS 5970 off Ebay - alternatives to sending back?  (Read 7559 times)
Nancarrow (OP)

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 08:30:05 PM

I paid the princely sum of £309.46 for this 5970 card. That includes a f Angry king customs charge of £25.37. Delivered today. I have a ragamuffin rig with three 5970's and a well-to-do rig with so far only one working 5970, but room for three more.

When I put the new card into my fancy rig with the fancy mobo and fancy psu, the fans spin for a fraction of a second before everything goes dead. If I switch off the PSU for a while, then try again, same thing happens.

So I thought I'd swap out a card from my other rig, the one from the wrong sort of neighbourhood. I put this new 5970 in there, and switch on. Hey, it keeps going! Nothing's cutting out. That sounds promising, yes?

Well I instantly realised I'd better keep my nose on red alert, and sure enough, a few seconds later, the pungent smell of burning plastic. Yanked the power cord out sharpish and no mistake. Examining the 16x-16x riser cable shows that the pins supplying +3.3V, all of them and only them, look and smell burny. Better not use that cable again.

I don't mind about the cable, it was cheap and I have more... but what exactly is wrong with the card, and is it something I could fix with the loan of someone else's brain?

ETA: should add that with a mug of hot cocoa and some soothing trance music, both rigs have recovered fully from their abuse.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 10:00:16 PM

I paid the princely sum of £309.46 for this 5970 card. That includes a f Angry king customs charge of £25.37. Delivered today. I have a ragamuffin rig with three 5970's and a well-to-do rig with so far only one working 5970, but room for three more.

When I put the new card into my fancy rig with the fancy mobo and fancy psu, the fans spin for a fraction of a second before everything goes dead. If I switch off the PSU for a while, then try again, same thing happens.

So I thought I'd swap out a card from my other rig, the one from the wrong sort of neighbourhood. I put this new 5970 in there, and switch on. Hey, it keeps going! Nothing's cutting out. That sounds promising, yes?

Well I instantly realised I'd better keep my nose on red alert, and sure enough, a few seconds later, the pungent smell of burning plastic. Yanked the power cord out sharpish and no mistake. Examining the 16x-16x riser cable shows that the pins supplying +3.3V, all of them and only them, look and smell burny. Better not use that cable again.

I don't mind about the cable, it was cheap and I have more... but what exactly is wrong with the card, and is it something I could fix with the loan of someone else's brain?

ETA: should add that with a mug of hot cocoa and some soothing trance music, both rigs have recovered fully from their abuse.

You should probably be using powered risers. The wires that burned are likely the 12v bus, not 3.3v. As to why that card is different from the rest, I can't be sure.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Nancarrow (OP)

Activity: 492

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 11:53:02 PM

Nuh uh, I counted the pins against Wikipedia's description of which pin is which, relative to the notch, and it most definitely was the 3.3v pins, not the 12v ones.

It could have been worse. I could have used no riser at all on that rig. Then whatever nastiness had happened to the riser, would probably have happened to the bus on the mobo. Though it was a dirt cheap mobo.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 12:19:12 AM

Nuh uh, I counted the pins against Wikipedia's description of which pin is which, relative to the notch, and it most definitely was the 3.3v pins, not the 12v ones.

It could have been worse. I could have used no riser at all on that rig. Then whatever nastiness had happened to the riser, would probably have happened to the bus on the mobo. Though it was a dirt cheap mobo.
How very interesting. I had heard that 3.3v wasn't even used on those cards, so I have no idea what may have shorted out to cause that problem.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
AzN1337c0d3r

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:57:45 AM

How very interesting. I had heard that 3.3v wasn't even used on those cards, so I have no idea what may have shorted out to cause that problem.

AFAIK, on modern ASICs, 3.3V isn't used for anything. Maybe go over the PCB of the card with a fine-toothed comb for the pins that burned and see if there is a short somewhere?

(Although I would suspect the amount of current to burn one of those cables will usually vaporize traces on the card... hmm)

Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:12:46 AM

3.3v is the supply voltage and signaling voltage on the VRM controllers for these cards. Without 3.3v your VRM controller will not power on and switch the fets. Good luck running your GPUs then  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: