Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:05:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: day trading - what's the catch?  (Read 7015 times)
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:57:24 PM

Hello,
I dont get it. Price at Bitstamp is always like 10+$ more then BTC-E. If you buy from BTC-E and sell on Bitstamp even with the taxes is profitable. Right now the price of BTC is around 620-630 for a long time. Isnt that going to be really profitable if you do this a lot of times doing the same and the same again. Buy from BTC-E sell to Bitstamp, withdraw USD from Bitstamp and Deposit to BTC-E?

Inter-exchange arbitrage is a waste of time and sometimes money 98% of the time. Inter-market arbitrage is where it is at.

A dumb question to I`m new at this, whats inter-market arbitrage?

So like you can buy BTC using one currency, and sell instantly within a BTC market for another currency. Some of the non-dollar BTC and LTC markets on BTC-E have thin order books, that means that you can set a low buy order and occasionally people will dump into it. Meanwhile the price is still strong in the dollar market so you can get huge returns instantly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:01:47 PM

Hello,
I dont get it. Price at Bitstamp is always like 10+$ more then BTC-E. If you buy from BTC-E and sell on Bitstamp even with the taxes is profitable. Right now the price of BTC is around 620-630 for a long time. Isnt that going to be really profitable if you do this a lot of times doing the same and the same again. Buy from BTC-E sell to Bitstamp, withdraw USD from Bitstamp and Deposit to BTC-E?

Inter-exchange arbitrage is a waste of time and sometimes money 98% of the time. Inter-market arbitrage is where it is at.

So like you can buy BTC using one currency, and sell instantly within a BTC market for another currency. Some of the non-dollar BTC and LTC markets on BTC-E have thin order books, that means that you can set a low buy order and occasionally people will dump into it. Meanwhile the price is still strong in the dollar market so you can get huge returns instantly.

Occasionally, people will dump into it, sure. But they are very low volume markets. You may be stuck in another fiat currency you do not want, in an illiquid market, when BTC makes a big move.

tsm

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:05:45 PM

Hello,

Occasionally, people will dump into it, sure. But they are very low volume markets. You may be stuck in another fiat currency you do not want, in an illiquid market, when BTC makes a big move.

So basically being stuck with EUR or something.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:09:59 PM

Hello,

So basically being stuck with EUR or something.

I personally don't dabble with EUR, fortunately for me my local currency is listed Cheesy It's a safe way to trade! Smiley

dompsairs

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 02:34:30 AM

I always lose money when trying to daytrade, its too much luck.
tonsafun

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 02:40:51 AM

the catch is you're going to guess wrong at some point and lose out on a lot of money.

this is because there are people with enough funds to manipulate the market when it still has such a small market cap.

buy and hold.
when you say buy and hold, what coins are the ones to go for that will be good for that?
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:40:43 AM

I think people underestimate the skill and discipline that it takes to be a successful trader. Often people say it's luck, but I tend to think it takes a lot more work than that.

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:52:57 AM

I think people underestimate the skill and discipline that it takes to be a successful trader. Often people say it's luck, but I tend to think it takes a lot more work than that.

Reading the speculation forum -- TOTALLY. Traders don't get no respect there.

I've profited in $ and in BTC during the time I've been trading, and I've worked really hard on my analysis, and on being rigorous with it.

It's not easy, and it's stressful waiting out positions.
dompsairs

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:16:35 AM

I've profited in $ and in BTC during the time I've been trading, and I've worked really hard on my analysis, and on being rigorous with it.

Where did you lean to trade
dompsairs

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:55:11 AM

Let's put your skills to use :p
Im holding 40 XMR, when should i say regarding ur graph analysis?
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:35:12 AM

Where did you lean to trade

Well, I started out watching analysts like masterluc in the Speculation forum, read up on common chart patterns and indicators and how to correctly interpret them on Stockcharts.com .... watch other chartists on Tradingview.com and use their analysis to question or confirm my own analysis..... this sort of thing.
bitcoinforhelp

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:29:36 PM

only best control of your emotions can make u profit in day trading
MightyBTC

Activity: 87

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:07:37 PM

Hello,
I'm just interested if is it possible or there is some catch. I see that price of BTC on stocks is different (of course) but the difference is big enough to make money with just buying on one stock and selling on the other one. So my Q is what's the catch? I already checked fees and still it's should be ok.

I've never trade BTC (yet) so correct me if I'm wrong or there is only classic risks like falling price..

I check price @  http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html

Thanks in advance for your time.
I have never daytrade but I am sure there is a huge profit as I see many people involved in the game.The volatility of the BTC
BunsenBurner

Activity: 653

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:08:02 PM

Hello,
I'm just interested if is it possible or there is some catch. I see that price of BTC on stocks is different (of course) but the difference is big enough to make money with just buying on one stock and selling on the other one. So my Q is what's the catch? I already checked fees and still it's should be ok.

I've never trade BTC (yet) so correct me if I'm wrong or there is only classic risks like falling price..

I have never daytrade but I am sure there is a huge profit as I see many people involved in the game.The volatility of the BTC

Day-trading is a zero-sum game (before all kinds of fees).
So when someone wins a lot in it, it means someone loses a lot at the same time.

cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:33:44 PM

I wouldnt recommend it, besides buying btc and holding onto it.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:01:13 PM

Hello,

Are you talking about day-trading, meaning selling multiple times a day and using even slight price swings, or are you talking about arbitrage, and using the different prices on different exchanges? The catch is that you can't get the BTC or even money fast enough from one exchange to the other. And day-trading is difficult since you never know that your trades are the right ones...

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
BunsenBurner

Activity: 653

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:16:37 PM

Hello,

Are you talking about day-trading, meaning selling multiple times a day and using even slight price swings, or are you talking about arbitrage, and using the different prices on different exchanges? The catch is that you can't get the BTC or even money fast enough from one exchange to the other. And day-trading is difficult since you never know that your trades are the right ones...

Judging from his description, I guess he was thinking about arbitraging rather than day-trading.

Anyway, he has disappeared from bitcointalk the next day after creating this thread...

Ahayy

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:32:36 PM

I think bitcoin follows patterns similar to any other market. Market psychology at play, just as with any instrument.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: