Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:35:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tax Man Cometh  (Read 2568 times)
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 09:03:07 AM

I had an interesting letter from the UK tax office (HMRC) today.
It was asking whether I was eligible for tax self assessment. This is when you declare you income and tax to pay and is used for pretty much anyone who is not working for a big company.

I have been fortunate to be able to work on bitcoin and MultiBit solidly for the last tax year so no doubt my lack of income has flagged me on their bigiron computer. (I do not claim any benefits from the state either so am not on that computer system either).

If they do their due diligence I would expect that they do a tax audit on me (I would be surprised if they did not). Of course if I write code and give it away for free there is no taxable income but what about the donations people have sent to multibit.org ?

It is my name on the bottom of the website and I control the private key for the donations address. It will be interesting to see what happens. To my knowledge it has not even been officially decided if bitcoin is 'money' yet.

Normally I would not make my dealings with the tax man public but I think this is of sufficient wider interest that I will scan the documents involved (edited lightly to maintain privacy) and then post them here so that they are a matter of public record.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 10:05:09 AM

It was asking whether I was eligible for tax self assessment.
It's a form letter that went out to millions of people.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 10:31:03 AM

Oh yes, it goes to pretty much everyone who is not on PAYE (pay as you earn tax deductions for non UK readers)

The interesting part is how the bitcoin donations are considered.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 04:12:28 AM

Is it effort expended with expectation of monetary reward?

A donation of a facebook "like" might be considered to have value (god knows why), or what about someone sending you a discount voucher.  Is a free copy of a piece of software arriving in you inbox with a $1 value income?  Most likely not.

If your business was the solicitation of donations, then that would be income as it is effort expended.  I think the tax man <yawns> and looks for a better target.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 03:33:56 PM

Thanks for your clarification.
Yes I would be happy if the taxman yawns and moves along to the next.

Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 02:17:11 AM

And of course you have expenses of running the website.  It's not pure profit it went to cover expenses.  IANAL and I don't live where you do.

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 04:17:00 PM

I live in the uk and consider bitcoins a virtual item that have 0 value until sold. (bit like wow gold). Sometimes I convert them to a real item which I consider to have 0 value until sold. And if I ever sold the item for cash no paper trail.

That's the way I see it. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: