Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:24:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to avoid blockchain transaction fee's?  (Read 2830 times)
Jamie_Boulder (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 09:07:29 AM

Hi all,

Currently in the process of creating a website that will be accommodating the deposits of Bitcoins, I've already achieved this via a blockchain wallet however I've noticed they charge a fee of 0.0001 per transaction which is to much for my liking.

How are other avoiding this? should I base my API off something else? suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:24:23 PM

Blockchain.info? Look into "Custom Send".

I assume you know the problems that can arise when sending with no fee.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Entz

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

I not use any kind of messenger beware of scammers

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:39:11 PM

Always use the fee if you send it for no fee your payment can take ages to arrive in the wallet

Jamie_Boulder (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 05:34:23 AM

Always use the fee if you send it for no fee your payment can take ages to arrive in the wallet
Thanks for your replies Entz & Newaw.

If I'm accepting 100s of transactions for only 1000 satoshi's, the fee will surpass the whole transaction... correct?

I've read about some gambling sites using their own blockchain or "off-blockchain mode" as they like to call it - what's this mean and how can I achieve it?

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:37:38 PM

If I'm accepting 100s of transactions for only 1000 satoshi's, the fee will surpass the whole transaction... correct?

I've read about some gambling sites using their own blockchain or "off-blockchain mode" as they like to call it - what's this mean and how can I achieve it?

You would have to have an internal logging system, which allows users to deposit bitcoins into his/her account, and withdraw it from there.
I really don't see the problem with transaction fees since when the user deposits, the user pays the tx fee, and when the user withdraws, you can just deduct the fee from his/her withdraw amount.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 10:17:22 PM

I think this is why a lot of sites have minimum withdrawl amounts that guarantee enough to cover a nominal fee.  You could consider trying to send a very small fee (but I don't know if it would be ignored as dust, there's something about the settings of particular miners which is going to affect the order/number of transactions they try to load into a block), or setting a higher minimum withdrawl on your website.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 10:40:56 PM

Hi all,

Currently in the process of creating a website that will be accommodating the deposits of Bitcoins, I've already achieved this via a blockchain wallet however I've noticed they charge a fee of 0.0001 per transaction which is to much for my liking.

How are other avoiding this? should I base my API off something else? suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

0.0001BTC is at the moment ~$0.0048

Read and learn:

Transaction fees may be included with any transfer of bitcoins from one address to another. At the moment, many transactions are typically processed in a way where no fee is expected at all, but for transactions which draw coins from many bitcoin addresses and therefore have a large data size, a small transaction fee is usually expected.

The transaction fee is processed by and received by the bitcoin miner. When a new bitcoin block is generated with a successful hash, the information for all of the transactions is included with the block and all transaction fees are collected by that user creating the block, who is free to assign those fees to himself.

Transaction fees are voluntary on the part of the person making the bitcoin transaction, as the person attempting to make a transaction can include any fee or none at all in the transaction. On the other hand, nobody mining new bitcoins necessarily needs to accept the transactions and include them in the new block being created. The transaction fee is therefore an incentive on the part of the bitcoin user to make sure that a particular transaction will get included into the next block which is generated.

It is envisioned that over time the cumulative effect of collecting transaction fees will allow somebody creating new blocks to "earn" more bitcoins than will be mined from new bitcoins created by the new block itself. This is also an incentive to keep trying to create new blocks even if the value of the newly created block from the mining activity is zero in the far future.

What is also important is that:

Including in Blocks

This section describes how the reference implementation selects which transactions to put into new blocks, with default settings. All of the settings may be changed if a miner wants to create larger or smaller blocks containing more or fewer free transactions.

50,000 bytes in the block are set aside for the highest-priority transactions, regardless of transaction fee. Transactions are added highest-priority-first to this section of the block.

Then transactions that pay a fee of at least 0.00001 BTC/kb are added to the block, highest-fee-per-kilobyte transactions first, until the block is not more than 750,000 bytes big.

The remaining transactions remain in the miner's "memory pool", and may be included in later blocks if their priority or fee is large enough.

Avoiding transaction fee will extremely increase time to confirm your transactions.

0.0001BTC is CHEAP... please.

Kind regards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: