Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:21:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Concept] Buy or sell excess bandwidth using bitcoin.  (Read 6493 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 08:30:48 AM

Alternatively allow port 8332 to be open and limited to wifi provider's node.  So your bitcoin client can get online but nothing else can.  Once you pay it unlocks full access.  Bitcoin doesn't really have the density yet but I could see it being popular way to pay for service someday. 

Or if at a retail joint, the cashier can sell scratch-offs with an Instawallet URL, preloaded with whatever the hotspot charge is.

Incidentally, there are multiple threads over time with basically the same topic of conversation.  Perhaps better progress would be possible if the conversation all occurred in the same thread:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7998.0

Or on a github project  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
efiniti

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 09:49:35 AM

How's this for an idea:

In order to gain wifi access one must keep a webpage open that uses java to mine bitcoins, ala bitcoinplus.com. 

Free surfing for the end user.  Free bitcoins for the provider.  Don't have to worry about money at all.  Win-win.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:12:32 PM

How's this for an idea:

In order to gain wifi access one must keep a webpage open that uses java to mine bitcoins, ala bitcoinplus.com. 

Free surfing for the end user.  Free bitcoins for the provider.  Don't have to worry about money at all.  Win-win.

My opinion:

As a consumer, I would rather pay for internet directly than pay for CPU power that I usually won't need. If I wanted to pay for internet by CPU mining, I would do them independently. Unless there was a direct pay option, it would screw over people with slow computers, GPUs, or saved bitcoins.

As a guy with wi-fi for sale, I just want money, I don't want to set up p2pool or whatever.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 08:54:37 PM

How's this for an idea:

No.  Just, no.

Think about who is going to be utilizing these wifi hotspots?  Typically, people with laptops - usually, laptops on batteries.  And those people aren't going to want their batteries sucked down in 15 minutes by something utilizing 100% of their CPU.

Ok, so you can provide them power, so that they won't run out of batteries.  Great, now the user just gets to have a super-hot computing device sitting on their laps or below their fingers, making them uncomfortable.  On top of that, you are now paying for the electricity for these users to mine on super-inefficient CPU's, which means, you'll be paying more to the electric company than you'll ever bring in in Bitcoins mined.

It's a bad idea, even though it sounds nice on the surface.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 06:23:01 AM

How's this for an idea:

No.

mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 10:46:41 PM

I'm going to see if I can't make this this summer.

How are you doing with it? This is a great idea.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:05:47 AM

Its just blanket wifi/cell coverage everywhere is soon to be standard. Paying people fractional bitcoins to seed bittorrents would be more interesting to me....

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:53:47 AM

Its just blanket wifi/cell coverage everywhere is soon to be standard. Paying people fractional bitcoins to seed bittorrents would be more interesting to me....

=)

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:59:54 AM

The Hocnet project is one possible implementation of this idea. When it first started, the plan was to use bitcoins specifically, but due to various reasons they have decided (I think) to move to a more open ended OpenTransaction system.

edit... Upon second reading of the thread, maybe Hocnet is much lower level than the OP had in mind, but I think it's a fantastic concept.
001sonkit

Activity: 784

Casper - A failed entrepenuer who looks like Zhou

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 06:46:14 PM

I think that it could be a premium Tor, super fast one.
users could know the speed and bid of the node.
Bid could be on per thousand request or per GB

really, tor is just slow!

GEMINI ACCOUNT REVIEW - Source of Funds Request
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 07:22:10 PM

Combine this with paying for traffic linking two wifi sites and you could avoid the need for ISPs.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:29:45 PM

Combine this with paying for traffic linking two wifi sites and you could avoid the need for ISPs.

That's exactly the idea behind Hocnet Smiley
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 03:07:04 AM

Yes I went to Mcdonalds and all they let you use is 50mb or 30 minutes for free then they boot you off the wifi. From what I have seen most of the "free" wifi spots are the same and the ones you need to pay for are really expensive.

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 03:07:55 AM

That's exactly the idea behind Hocnet Smiley

This would solve a lot of problems.

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:26:29 AM

Imagine a scenario where you park outside someones house and they have software on their router that allows you to send it bitcoins and access the internet using their connection, or even sitting at a cafe you send the p2p isp a coin and youre surfing.

No bank account needed and anyone can sit somewhere earning bitcoins all day just for sharing their wifi with people. I had this idea while sitting at a cafe in the city and they wanted me to register a credit card and give personal details to access a wifi point. Of course I avoided that like the plague Cheesy

No one uses wifi anymore.  Everyone has 4g.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:35:09 AM

would be a great idea, except most bitcoin users know how to crack wep encryption via packet injection
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:54:17 AM

Kind of a nice idea.  I don't want to piss all over anyone's cheerios, but there are several problems I see right off hand:

1) I suspect it would massively break to the TOS on almost any consumer grade connectivity to re-sell it.

2) Probably among the very first handful of users on a freshly born service would be someone doing something naughty.  I've read of the cops kicking in the doors of people for not setting a password on their wi-fi.  The chief difference between some careless and clueless user like this and someone selling network connectivity and not being able to produce a 'customer list' would probably be a stay in jail.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:57:59 PM

2) Probably among the very first handful of users on a freshly born service would be someone doing something naughty.  I've read of the cops kicking in the doors of people for not setting a password on their wi-fi.  The chief difference between some careless and clueless user like this and someone selling network connectivity and not being able to produce a 'customer list' would probably be a stay in jail.

Maybe over in the USA. Running a TOR exit node gets you the same kind of attention without actually ending up in jail but you will have to explain TOR to many people over and over again. At least that's how things work in Germany and with an open wifi you can also stay out of jail but might get some stress along the way.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 06:13:04 AM

would be a great idea, except most bitcoin users know how to crack wep encryption via packet injection
what is a packet injection, is there an android app. for that, (non rooted market app)?

No one uses wifi anymore.  Everyone has 4g.
I travel and use WiFi, Skype works well, but would prefer the BTC WiFi Idea. ( I would run it on my DDwRT tomorrow if it happened. ) bring it on.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:44:04 PM

http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin is still not claimed...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: