Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:58:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So we get that btc will eventually "rise"  (Read 1950 times)
thedarksun (OP)

Activity: 639
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 02:35:48 PM

But what will happen to altcoins? I dont think it would be possible for altcions to "follow" btc like they used to before, because now there are so many out there it would take great amounts of money for them to follow BTC. So when btc takes off some of you say, what will happen to the rest. Granted it wouldnt take alot to boost the coins with a small market cap but I still think they will be abandoned.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 02:45:21 PM

But what will happen to altcoins? I dont think it would be possible for altcions to "follow" btc like they used to before, because now there are so many out there it would take great amounts of money for them to follow BTC. So when btc takes off some of you say, what will happen to the rest. Granted it wouldnt take alot to boost the coins with a small market cap but I still think they will be abandoned.

Some will be abandoned, sure, but those ones needed to be... It's like Darwinism of crypto! The weak ones get dropped and the strong remain. Remember that all the altcoins market caps combined is only 10% (iirc) of BTC. They will still follow, though it may or may not take ~10% of the total funds away from Bitcoin. If this means a $3150 top instead of $3500, so be it!

clovex

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:21:48 PM

"Cryptos" in general will become mainstream, im sure a couple alts will be considered cool to own. All will be shit compared to BTC tho.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:30:07 PM

There will only be one.

Wealth and capital always seeks  the most liquid, safe, and nicely for Bitcoin, the highest return vehicle.

Because of Bitcoin's potential to appreciate in value, it will always pay to hold it first and then only buy an appcoin or altcoin ay the last minute for a small defined purpose. This will cause the appcoin or altcoin to always trend to zero in the longterm from lack of use or liquidity.
nuff

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:48:45 PM

In cryptocurrency, the one with the first mover advantage will ALWAYS be the one that subsequent coins will be based on. So no mater what other coins that comes AFTER the first one, will always be based and can NEVER overtake the FIRST one. Cryptocurrencies are time-based by nature
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:56:59 PM

In cryptocurrency, the one with the first mover advantage will ALWAYS be the one that subsequent coins will be based on. So no mater what other coins that comes AFTER the first one, will always be based and can NEVER overtake the FIRST one. Cryptocurrencies are time-based by nature

But the first one has to deserve it. And Bitcoin does, given its technical and economic properties.
nuff

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:23:59 PM

But the first one has to deserve it. And Bitcoin does, given its technical and economic properties.

Dude, the first one is the one that started it all. But the difference is that all cryptocurrencies are time-based, meaning if you get into it earlier, you always have the advantage than getting into it later. In cryptocurrency you're always able to mine more than you can later. That already sets it a value based on chronology. It's fundamentally a time-based system first and foremost, so other features such as technical and economic can't trump its first and fundamental feature
falllling

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:24:42 PM

how about  Ethereum?
nuff

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:27:35 PM

how about  Ethereum?

what about ethereum, pray tell?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:39:38 PM

Dude, the first one is the one that started it all. But the difference is that all cryptocurrencies are time-based, meaning if you get into it earlier, you always have the advantage than getting into it later. In cryptocurrency you're always able to mine more than you can later. That already sets it a value based on chronology. It's fundamentally a time-based system first and foremost, so other features such as technical and economic can't trump its first and fundamental feature

Dude, it's not simply about being first. It has to have the right fundamental technical and economic properties to attract early adopters. If Bitcoin had an inflationary issuance curve like fiat, I guarantee you it wouldn't be nearly as popular.
vivathelife

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Everytime I try to invest in an altcoin it fails, the last one was Burst so stay alert...
nuff

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:20:13 PM

Dude, it's not simply about being first. It has to have the right fundamental technical and economic properties to attract early adopters. If Bitcoin had an inflationary issuance curve like fiat, I guarantee you it wouldn't be nearly as popular.

Except that Bitcoin isn't inflationary and is rightfully fundamentally technically sound. Bitcoin did it right fundamentally the first time. It is truly a remarkable and once in a lifetime kinda thing
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 06:23:37 PM

As people have said time and time again it's it only a matter of time for the great culling of clones and pump and dump coins to die.  This is a big deal and is going to take time I would think, but when it does look out.  Real coins that bring something to the table will be appreciated and more money will be put into them for development, marketing etc.
thedarksun (OP)

Activity: 639
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:58:11 PM

As people have said time and time again it's it only a matter of time for the great culling of clones and pump and dump coins to die.  This is a big deal and is going to take time I would think, but when it does look out.  Real coins that bring something to the table will be appreciated and more money will be put into them for development, marketing etc.

What do you mean by real coins? coins that are based on a dog meme?
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:02:07 PM

none of the current alts offer anything better than bitcoin, why would anyone choose to accept/use any crypto that isn't bitcoin when bitcoin has the most secure network (highest hash rate) and is the most widely accepted crypto.

the only reason people own alts is not to use them but to speculate on their price to make a profit.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:19:09 PM

I think Litecoin will become a good secondary coin. Most others will fail or die.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:19:26 PM

In the early 20th Century, there were more than 1500 car makers in the US, believe it or not.  Before Henry Ford began mass producing in factories, cars were frequently made in small quantities by craftspeople.  

As we know, eventually 1500 car makers were eventually narrowed down to The Big Three.  Yes, there were other companies that had their runs, like Packard, Studebaker, AMC...maybe Tesla could be a candidate for that group right now.  But for the most part, they went out of business or were acquired.

My guess is that something similar will happen with altcoins.  It may not look the same, because cars and crypto are so different.  To make cars, you need a significant capital commitment for space, machinery, and people.  In order to continue, you need contribution to overhead.  When car companies flounder, they disappear.  Cryptos could languish for a long time without failing to meet overhead or debt service obligations, so 1500 may not obviously turn into three or four, but I do think that eventually most will see depressed prices and volume.

The exception will be cryptos that address something that bitcoin users find as a lack of utility.  It could be transaction times (something like Litecoin with quicker confirmations) or it could be related to anonymity (Cryptonote coins).  It's possible that some crypto iteration would address specific issues with specific solutions (one could imagine some kind of corporate remittance coin or maybe something related to oil deliveries).  

The crypto space is so pregnant right now because the possibilities are endless.  Eventually, though, people aren't going to utilize a bunch of flavors-of-the-month as an exchange medium or a store of value.  Most of them will eventually languish.  True innovation will likely be rewarded in the crypto space, but innovation will be determined by utility, and that means most of the current alts will languish and become irrelevant in terms of price/volume.
yokosan

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:43:30 PM

The watering of altcoins is fantastic as it lowers the expectation and thus price, meaning those that get in early on a successful coin can realise even greater gains.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:44:19 PM

Some might rise, most of them will die. No other way around.

Anyone can create altcoins with low cost, it is inevitable to happen.
mrmousebtc

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:01:25 PM

Bitcoin is really near to the next jump in price, prepare yourself and sell all the FIAT you have in the exchanges.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: