Bitcoin Forum
April 17, 2024, 12:00:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would this be wise? My college life (no I DO NOT LIVE IN A DORM)  (Read 3574 times)
njloof

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:16:35 PM

I can't wait for the first time the cops bust a place because they're SURE it's a grow house -- drawing lots and lots of power, heat signature of the place is through the roof -- and they come slamming through the door looking for all the pot, and all they find is a bunch of computers humming away Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2011, 02:21:53 PM

I can't wait for the first time the cops bust a place because they're SURE it's a grow house -- drawing lots and lots of power, heat signature of the place is through the roof -- and they come slamming through the door looking for all the pot, and all they find is a bunch of computers humming away Smiley

hahahaha...yeah that would be hilarious - not for the person getting busted though Tongue

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2011, 05:08:40 PM

At these prices, I don't feel sorry for a landlord!  Shocked

I live nicely for half the price in western Europe!

Yep, real estate is way overpriced in the Toronto (aka GTA) area and as a result I'd say so are rents. If that landlord has the property already paid off (ie no mortgage) then that $800 is pure profit (minus expenses and other misc items) so our psknives's electricity usage may go unnoticed or maybe the landlord won't care all that much - at least not until the power bill approached the the multiple hundred dollar mark lol

Property tax is a huge expense in some areas.  I bet that is why landlords costs (and therefore rents) are so high.

keybaud

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 05:47:37 PM

Any contract that has a free element usually has an additional 'fair use' statement in the small print. My guess is that free electricity would not include running internet or mining services 24/7 as fair use and you'd get the bill enforced legally if you refused to pay, as you'd be in breach of contract.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 12:26:20 AM

Once again there is no such thing as a free lunch...unless you live in your parent's basement..then you're living like a king..lol mine away!

No but seriously yeah I bet most smart landlords do include a small clause or disclaimer that will prevent you from consuming the Gigawatts of electricity your dream mining farm would require. So I'm afraid with all things you gotta pay if you wanna play. Thankfully mining is still profitable - for some people - so the electricity costs can be covered and justified.

bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 03:39:25 PM

Once again there is no such thing as a free lunch...unless you live in your parent's basement..then you're living like a king..lol mine away!

No but seriously yeah I bet most smart landlords do include a small clause or disclaimer that will prevent you from consuming the Gigawatts of electricity your dream mining farm would require. So I'm afraid with all things you gotta pay if you wanna play. Thankfully mining is still profitable - for some people - so the electricity costs can be covered and justified.

If its an apartment building without meters for each unit, it would be sorta hard to tell who's using all the electricity. I guess you could just start shutting down breakers and see when the meter slows down a bunch.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 04:14:32 AM

If its an apartment building without meters for each unit, it would be sorta hard to tell who's using all the electricity. I guess you could just start shutting down breakers and see when the meter slows down a bunch.

Can they not check the load on the circuits? I dunno, I'm no expert on this.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: