Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 04:39:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit Blocked Our Pro-Bitcoin, Anti-Banking Site BanksWorstFear.com - entirely  (Read 6302 times)
leannemckim46

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 01:24:52 AM

You wrote "For any user who simply submits a link about the bitdrop to our subreddit I'll give you $0.25 of free bits."

Paying for posting. You're banned. Duh.

How is that different from changetip operating and Tipping on reddit for posting?

Its pretty close to hypocritical.
Tips are given to people who make an exceptionally good point/post/idea. It is also generally not given out in mass to anyone that posts/votes in a thread. People generally do not post with the expectation they will receive a tip.

Paying to post is getting someone to post with the expectation they will receive payment. The user will likely have little reason to be posting or even reading the thread if it was not for the expected payment.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
BanksWorstFear (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 02:21:46 AM

Have you used it?

How would people compare it to WhoaVerse and reddit?

BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 02:24:00 AM

Reddit rules are pretty simple.

http://www.reddit.com/rules/

"NOT OK: Buying votes or using services to vote."

Pay to post is pretty much the same thing as pay to vote.

no they're not totally simple. There's over three seperate pages of 'rules' as mentioned in my article

Pay to contribute news stories on a specific topic on a very small scale by no means equals paying to vote

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 02:26:36 AM

As a website owner, I honestly wouldn't give a rats ass if you were "spacing things out" in between your spamming, by posting links to other sites.

If anything that probably set them off even more.  Discussion Forums and places like Reddit are there for people to share thoughts, ideas, and comments.  

You were there to garner business and ultimately money.  Anyone who seems to only post links to a product, service, or website is known as a spammer.  Especially if you're doing it across multiple Reddits.  Even if you're a super nice guy.

A ban was appropriate.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 06:52:49 PM

As a website owner, I honestly wouldn't give a rats ass if you were "spacing things out" in between your spamming, by posting links to other sites.

If anything that probably set them off even more.  Discussion Forums and places like Reddit are there for people to share thoughts, ideas, and comments.  

You were there to garner business and ultimately money.  Anyone who seems to only post links to a product, service, or website is known as a spammer.  Especially if you're doing it across multiple Reddits.  Even if you're a super nice guy.

A ban was appropriate.

-B-

I have no ads on my website and am not selling anything.

jj30

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:59:52 AM

If I were bitcointalk (or BanksWorstFear), I would wear it as a badge of honor. I am not bullshitting.

Reddit, in many ways, is a miscreation. Crowd-sourcing is great when you want to hear a pretty girl sing on TV. But it's really awful in any "social" network.

When I was in school, we were taught, "Majority rule, minority rights." Does reddit represent minority rights? I don't think so. "Majority rule, majority rights" ... Why? Because the majority itself upvoted it, naturally. Do minorities even have rights on reddit? (Obviously not.)

In my opinion, there is a "pearls before swine" aspect to reddit. I actually only found bitcointalk.org when I gave up on reddit completely because I just couldn't stand it anymore, and found myself brimming with indignation. I am much happier having left reddit.

I hope one day you will be too.

[I do not think it appropriate to ban anyone for any reason, ever. Of course they will say "oh, spam!" but that's just the majority putting labels on things again. One man's spam is another man's tofurkey. The same for "troll." If you really look at it, labeling someone a troll is an attempt to dehumanize them so that you can ban them without feeling bad. Goodwin's law aside, if you're to let majority rule WITHOUT minority rights, you're only separated by the Nazi's by 50 years and 5,000 miles.]
BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:11:23 AM

If I were bitcointalk (or BanksWorstFear), I would wear it as a badge of honor. I am not bullshitting.

Reddit, in many ways, is a miscreation. Crowd-sourcing is great when you want to hear a pretty girl sing on TV. But it's really awful in any "social" network.

Thanks, am proud in some ways of course. It appears the power they have can make or break a new site. This is very worrying.

After researching how many sites have been banned, it is one of those free speech problems but 'its an organization/corporation they can do what they want' yeah; but so many people rely on them to get news around the world. I'm sure they don't want things of potential value to be banned

But yes minority opinions can be sacrificed without much protest.

NRF

Activity: 279

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:18:27 AM

Thanks, am proud in some ways of course. It appears the power they have can make or break a new site. This is very worrying.

After researching how many sites have been banned, it is one of those free speech problems but 'its an organization/corporation they can do what they want' yeah; but so many people rely on them to get news around the world. I'm sure they don't want things of potential value to be banned

Lets bring things back into context, your were banned for paying people to post in your subreddit;-

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=765470.0

Your making out like your some poor persecuted crypto warrior.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 03:43:51 AM

Let's bring things back into context. You were banned for paying people to post in your subreddit;-

You're making out like you're some poor persecuted crypto warrior.
Right. Live by spam, die by spam.
money420weed

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:16:03 AM

Lets bring things back into context, your were banned for paying people to post in your subreddit;-

Your making out like your some poor persecuted crypto warrior.
Bingo!

This has nothing to do with free speech, this has to do with paid speech appearing to be the speech of the community. There is a very big difference. Paid speech appearing to be the speech of the community/people is fraud.
robhimself

Activity: 154

Calling out scams, one HYIP at a time...

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 06:08:02 AM

Ignorance of the rules is not a defense. Most sites do not like their content being manipulated, which is clearly the intent of paying users to post.

RedhatCAT

Activity: 123

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 06:13:09 AM

Ignorance of the rules is not a defense. Most sites do not like their content being manipulated, which is clearly the intent of paying users to post.
I don't think the OP was ignorant to the rules, I think he thought he would not get caught trying to buy upvotes. IMO the intention of this was to try to increase the value of his domain (he has it listed for sale in the digital goods section)
BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 07:48:22 PM

I don't think the OP was ignorant to the rules, I think he thought he would not get caught trying to buy upvotes. IMO the intention of this was to try to increase the value of his domain (he has it listed for sale in the digital goods section)

I wasn't paying anyone to upvote or manipulate a reddit community. I CREATED the subreddit.

The last four commenters don't understand the story.

Imagine you had a study group inside a starbucks and you paid someone on the street a quarter to go in and participate.

Then you get banned for life from starbucks

That's how this is. Completely unreasonable. No warning, over-use of force. Very bad to their reputation for a site that is community and (free) speech driven.

NRF

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 08:45:56 PM

I wasn't paying anyone to upvote or manipulate a reddit community. I CREATED the subreddit.

Just because you created it, it does not mean it is yours.  It is Reddit's.

They understand, I suspect you do as well but wont admit it and are playing the sympathy card.

Imagine you had a study group inside a starbucks and you paid someone on the street a quarter to go in and participate.

Bullshit analogy.  A better one would be if you went in and set up a coffey machine and started paying people to drink your coffee not theirs.

That's how this is. Completely unreasonable. No warning, over-use of force. Very bad to their reputation for a site that is community and (free) speech driven.

Thats is not how it is. It's completely reasonable. Too serious for a warning, appropriate use of force. Good for their reputation and yeah FREE not PAID FOR speech.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 09:28:59 PM

that's not a good attitude Undecided Undecided

zorke

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 02:10:46 AM

If you are paying people to upvote a thread then you are not engaging in free speech, you are engaging in paid speech. You are paying people to agree with you. This certainly contradicts with the spirit of the concept of freedom of speech.

There is/was a listing for your domain in the digital goods section. This is evidence that you were trying to increase the value of your domain by paying for upvotes.

I have not read the TOS of reddit, however I would be very surprised if they did not own the content at least to some degree. 
BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:20:45 AM

Bullshit analogy.  A better one would be if you went in and set up a coffey machine and started paying people to drink your coffee not theirs.

You're just a fucking hater.

Reddit is a company with a location online at reddit.com - they have many sub locations called subreddits people can create

Starbucks is a company with many physical locations. They allow people to go in and use their internet and, I safely assume, to chat with other people if they so like.

Paying someone a quarter to go inside the location of the business and take up some 'space', and engage in communication; what's the major difference here?

Oh you didn't explain yourself. Your profile doesn't show a website of yours, and neither does your post history

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 03:46:57 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2014, 04:03:17 AM by frankenmint

Bullshit analogy.  A better one would be if you went in and set up a coffey machine and started paying people to drink your coffee not theirs.

Reddit is a company with a location online at reddit.com - they have many sub locations called subreddits people can create

Starbucks is a company with many physical locations. They allow people to go in and use their internet and, I safely assume, to chat with other people if they so like.

Paying someone a quarter to go inside the location of the business and take up some 'space', and engage in communication; what's the major difference here?

Oh you didn't explain yourself. Your profile doesn't show a website of yours, and neither does your post history

Here are my observations:

This was not the decision of an /r/bitcoin moderator, it happened from the reddit admins.  I think they were looking at their inbound analytics and your bitcointalk post got flagged for soliciting for paid posts.  I'm sorry that happened.  Also I've read that there is a hidden 10% rule that if your link submissions are more than 10% of a given website that you could face a potential banning.  Consider posting your articles here on bitcointalk in the news section, I'm sure you'll get the same potential impressions of high quality traffic - you know, a snippet along with a bottom line and a question to open up discussion, that's what I would try anyway.  I started seeing that overly posting my stuff to reddit was a no-go so I try to limit it to only occurrences where the discussion directly relates to an article I wrote in the past or a product that I happen to currently sell.

When I was in school, we were taught, "Majority rule, minority rights." Does reddit represent minority rights? I don't think so. "Majority rule, majority rights" ... Why? Because the majority itself upvoted it, naturally. Do minorities even have rights on reddit? (Obviously not.)

In my opinion, there is a "pearls before swine" aspect to reddit. I actually only found bitcointalk.org when I gave up on reddit completely because I just couldn't stand it anymore, and found myself brimming with indignation. I am much happier having left reddit.

I hope one day you will be too.

[I do not think it appropriate to ban anyone for any reason, ever. Of course they will say "oh, spam!" but that's just the majority putting labels on things again. One man's spam is another man's tofurkey. The same for "troll." If you really look at it, labeling someone a troll is an attempt to dehumanize them so that you can ban them without feeling bad. Goodwin's law aside, if you're to let majority rule WITHOUT minority rights, you're only separated by the Nazi's by 50 years and 5,000 miles.]

Are BTCcointalks threads banned from being shared as links on reddit submissions?

NRF

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:16:24 AM

Perhaps you're right but I want to make something perfectly clear;-

What I hate is you saying (and I am paraphrasing) "I did nothing wrong, there was not provocation, there is no explanation, everyone please pity me".

I have no problem with your site, your content or even you in general.  It is just your "woe is me" attitude and refusal to admit you were wrong.

For all we know, it you had gone to them and apologized said something like "Crap, I did wrong, I did not think it through at the time, I promise never to do it again" you may have had your site unbanned.  Instead we have this pity party of a thread where you're making out like some poor persecuted heroic crusader unjustly silenced by "the man".

Hell, even now you could just man up, start a thread here or post on your site taking responsibility for your actions and ask for your account back.  Reddit admins are humans after all, they just might see that you have learnt the errors of your ways and say why not.

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 05:05:16 AM

Um, I'm reading this here, and I was enjoying it and then you took it back and threw your feelings of betrayal into that post which was annoying at best and very offputting at worse. 

I want more people to work with me to promote bitcoin at the grass-roots level and I'm hoping that HARO can HAFO (help a frankenmint out)

Take your feelings of funk out of your articles, it's immature - just keep it restricted to that one thread that explains the story/saga of your banning from reddit, imho.  For each additional article that refrences that event diminishes your professionalism, even if just slightly; calling someone a 'fucking hater', in every possible context, is MOST DEFINITELY NOT the right way to move forward in establishing your credibility as a reliable Bitcoin news source.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: