Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:54:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit Blocked Our Pro-Bitcoin, Anti-Banking Site BanksWorstFear.com - entirely  (Read 6302 times)
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:41:49 AM

Imagine you had a study group inside a starbucks and you paid someone on the street a quarter to go in and participate.

Then you get banned for life from starbucks

Bullshit analogy.  A better one would be if you went in and set up a coffey machine and started paying people to drink your coffee not theirs.

You're just a fucking hater.

Reddit is a company with a location online at reddit.com - they have many sub locations called subreddits people can create

Starbucks is a company with many physical locations. They allow people to go in and use their internet and, I safely assume, to chat with other people if they so like.

Paying someone a quarter to go inside the location of the business and take up some 'space', and engage in communication; what's the major difference here?

Oh you didn't explain yourself. Your profile doesn't show a website of yours, and neither does your post history
The difference here is that you were manipulating the space to make it appear to be more successful then it really was. I think a better Starbucks analogy would be that you were hired by a local starbucks to play music inside a starbucks, and you would be paid based on how many people congregate inside the starbucks and listen to your music. You then pay people a little bit to come inside and listen to music they otherwise would not enjoy. A as a result you not only receive a higher payment for your performance but also are more likely to be rehired in the future based on misleading stats.
BanksWorstFear (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:15:16 PM

Um, I'm reading this here, and I was enjoying it and then you took it back and threw your feelings of betrayal into that post which was annoying at best and very offputting at worse.  

I want more people to work with me to promote bitcoin at the grass-roots level and I'm hoping that HARO can HAFO (help a frankenmint out)

Take your feelings of funk out of your articles, it's immature - just keep it restricted to that one thread that explains the story/saga of your banning from reddit, imho.  For each additional article that refrences that event diminishes your professionalism, even if just slightly; calling someone a 'fucking hater', in every possible context, is MOST DEFINITELY NOT the right way to move forward in establishing your credibility as a reliable Bitcoin news source.

We have authors on the site. That was their article 100%

Calling someone a hater when they're a hater is the right way to show I'm not a politically correct puppet who just wants to please the public perception. We're all humans here. And did you see the point where he agreed I may be right in my hater label assessment.

We're not aiming to be the best bitcoin news source. Our aim is to end the corrupt banking system. See our name. Compare that to names like "Coin Desk" - "Coin Telegraph" - "Coin Brief"

and NRF, I don't recall saying 'i did nothing wrong' maybe thats a correct assessment. I'm not going to bow down to a site just because I want to have my links posted there, and them blocking me really pissed me and my authors off.

I don't hate you.

Imagine one of you, even if you broke a small rule that barely affects the website whatsoever, were banned on bitcointalk. Your posts look like they post but they're invisible to everyone. You make new accounts but in fact every account made from your whole internet access is automatically blocked and links to your website are hidden on the site.

That's what happened and that's how it sitll is.

I was a big reddit contributor. Multiple subreddits, a lot on the bitcoin subreddit etc.

And just becuase my account names were linked they chose to ban me. I could JUST as easily have had different username asking for what I was doing. I am punished due to my transparency. Like I said, they have greatly ruined the repuation of their site in my eyes and many others.

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:20:08 PM

You previously admitted to posting a lot of your own content to many reddit subforums, posting your own content more than 1/10 times is considered spam on reddit no matter what the content is. The big reason why you got banned though is for paying people to post your articles for you on reddit and upvote your articles, which is against their ToS. Without spam prevention reddit would be pretty useless.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:29:01 PM

You previously admitted to posting a lot of your own content to many reddit subforums, posting your own content more than 1/10 times is considered spam on reddit no matter what the content is. The big reason why you got banned though is for paying people to post your articles for you on reddit and upvote your articles, which is against their ToS. Without spam prevention reddit would be pretty useless.

Which thousands of people do  I guess. Maybe reddit is cracking down a lot recently.

The sad thing is; if it was just someone not attached to the website; or just disguise yourself; then its basically under the radar to spout out supposed "Spam" from the same site.

Doesn't their rating system work? People vote for what they like. What more is needed?

"posting your own content more than 1/10 times is considered spam on reddit no matter"

that's not an explicit rule. "a general rule of thumb is 10% or less of your links should be your own site"
http://www.reddit.com/wiki/selfpromotion

WRONG

Did not pay anyone to post MY articles. Did not pay anyone to upvote my articles either.

BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:34:51 PM

The difference here is that you were manipulating the space to make it appear to be more successful then it really was. I think a better Starbucks analogy would be that you were hired by a local starbucks to play music inside a starbucks, and you would be paid based on how many people congregate inside the starbucks and listen to your music. You then pay people a little bit to come inside and listen to music they otherwise would not enjoy. A as a result you not only receive a higher payment for your performance but also are more likely to be rehired in the future based on misleading stats.

Your first sentence was it. But not the revised analogy since I was not getting paid with anything. Yeah reddit wants organic statistics and community driven growth. I came in and oh boy I disrupted their site by 0.0001% - that's not an exaggeration either

with 2 million unique hits a day; and I only got 2 most, maybe only 1 person posting in the subreddit who may or may not have seen this article post to bring them there.

johncarpe64

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:13:04 PM

Imagine you had a study group inside a starbucks and you paid someone on the street a quarter to go in and participate.

Bullshit analogy.  A better one would be if you went in and set up a coffey machine and started paying people to drink your coffee not theirs.

You're just a fucking hater.

Reddit is a company with a location online at reddit.com - they have many sub locations called subreddits people can create

Starbucks is a company with many physical locations. They allow people to go in and use their internet and, I safely assume, to chat with other people if they so like.

Paying someone a quarter to go inside the location of the business and take up some 'space', and engage in communication; what's the major difference here?

Oh you didn't explain yourself. Your profile doesn't show a website of yours, and neither does your post history
I don't quite agree with your analogy. A better analogy would be to say that Starbucks was paying you to advertise a specific store and would get paid on a per visitor to the store basis; you would pay people to go to the store and only take up space and not make any kind of purchase. Not only would Starbucks be harmed because of this (they would be paying for your services that are not truly delivering) but also taking away from the experience from their actual customers (less resources available to the paying customers).
commandrix

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:46:49 PM

Um, I'm reading this here, and I was enjoying it and then you took it back and threw your feelings of betrayal into that post which was annoying at best and very offputting at worse.  

I want more people to work with me to promote bitcoin at the grass-roots level and I'm hoping that HARO can HAFO (help a frankenmint out)

Take your feelings of funk out of your articles, it's immature - just keep it restricted to that one thread that explains the story/saga of your banning from reddit, imho.  For each additional article that refrences that event diminishes your professionalism, even if just slightly; calling someone a 'fucking hater', in every possible context, is MOST DEFINITELY NOT the right way to move forward in establishing your credibility as a reliable Bitcoin news source.

I wrote that article. Really my addition of that paragraph me using this whole issue with Reddit as an example of how tough it can be to find cheap or free options for promoting a website that are actually effective. I have a feeling that we'll find alternatives that actually work, we'll all be a little smarter about handling it, and we'll all be happy again...
johncarpe64

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:43:07 AM

Take your feelings of funk out of your articles, it's immature - just keep it restricted to that one thread that explains the story/saga of your banning from reddit, imho.  For each additional article that refrences that event diminishes your professionalism, even if just slightly; calling someone a 'fucking hater', in every possible context, is MOST DEFINITELY NOT the right way to move forward in establishing your credibility as a reliable Bitcoin news source.

I wrote that article. Really my addition of that paragraph me using this whole issue with Reddit as an example of how tough it can be to find cheap or free options for promoting a website that are actually effective. I have a feeling that we'll find alternatives that actually work, we'll all be a little smarter about handling it, and we'll all be happy again...
Why would it ever be appropriate for a website to receive free advertising? Most websites receive some kind of ad revenue when people visit their site. Therefore free advertising to your site essentially means free money for you.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2014, 03:56:51 AM

For sure, admittedly, that was only the 2nd article I read and I was under the impression that it was a one man band which is why I said what I said.

BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:23:15 AM

For sure, admittedly, that was only the 2nd article I read and I was under the impression that it was a one man band which is why I said what I said.

My other job is sweeping dollars down into the sewer

You thought I just made up multiple author names to trick those of lesser intelligence than you that we're a crew of writers?

jj30

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 09:49:49 PM

Bingo!

This has nothing to do with free speech, this has to do with paid speech appearing to be the speech of the community. There is a very big difference. Paid speech appearing to be the speech of the community/people is fraud.
[/quote]

Ha. So the Supreme Court just ruled that campaign donations are a form of free speech.

So how big a difference is "very big" now?

I've actually eaten spam. My dad used to like it. It's not very expensive. Apparently, in Samoa spam is hugely popular, due to island GI's.... etc.

So it's still a "free speech" issue, because you can't just go around enforcing your definition of spam. And even if you could, you shouldn't, because eventually they come for you. You may not be bald now, or old... but you will be. And will you want to be at the mercy of the whims of the hive mind which you think is (now) your protection? Safety in numbers? Not for lemmings.
jj30

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 09:57:36 PM

Ignorance of the rules is not a defense. Most sites do not like their content being manipulated, which is clearly the intent of paying users to post.
I don't think the OP was ignorant to the rules, I think he thought he would not get caught trying to buy upvotes. IMO the intention of this was to try to increase the value of his domain (he has it listed for sale in the digital goods section)

I wasn't paying anyone to upvote or manipulate a reddit community. I CREATED the subreddit.

The last four commenters don't understand the story.

That's how this is. Completely unreasonable. No warning, over-use of force. Very bad to their reputation for a site that is community and (free) speech driven.

There is a scene in the matrix in which Morpheus cautions Neo that some have become so dependent upon the matrix that they will defend it to their deaths.

And reddit, in my experience, has an element of this. There are people who will absolutely not listen to any point that you make, unless that point is pro-reddit.

What this is, IMO, is a fundamental belief that change comes through majority rule. If I am truly open-minded, and I consider your perspective, your view, and come to understand it, I may find myself of split mind where I am able to understand EVERY other perspective ... and this, to many, is dangerous. How can I condemn you if I understand you? And how can I defend myself without attacking and obliterating my enemy through my  condemnation? Why would I nail someone to a tree (the death penalty) if I didn't believe condemnation was GOOD?

The biggest obstacle to peace is the belief in war. That peace comes FROM war. That's not just reddit, that's humanity. But on reddit, the manifestation is that you can't be liberal, because it becomes an infection of sorts, resulting in disease: spam and trolls. What's a troll? An attempt to dehumanize so that whatever you do will be excusable, so long as you aren't doing it to a human being.

When reddit starts realizing that trolls are people, just like them, I may consider going back. But I left after four years and am much happier now because of it.

This is my last post on the subject by the way. I just wanted to say to BanksWorstFear that you're not alone, no matter how alone you feel, or reddit, or bitcointalk makes you feel.
BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:21:19 PM

jj30, I would have guessed these people were more ignorant of reddit and not pro-reddit.

thank you.

leannemckim46

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:27:46 PM

Bingo!

This has nothing to do with free speech, this has to do with paid speech appearing to be the speech of the community. There is a very big difference. Paid speech appearing to be the speech of the community/people is fraud.

Ha. So the Supreme Court just ruled that campaign donations are a form of free speech.

So how big a difference is "very big" now?

I've actually eaten spam. My dad used to like it. It's not very expensive. Apparently, in Samoa spam is hugely popular, due to island GI's.... etc.

So it's still a "free speech" issue, because you can't just go around enforcing your definition of spam. And even if you could, you shouldn't, because eventually they come for you. You may not be bald now, or old... but you will be. And will you want to be at the mercy of the whims of the hive mind which you think is (now) your protection? Safety in numbers? Not for lemmings.
The difference is that they were essentially buying votes, which is not allowed. Steps were also taken to make it look like it was not paid speech but rather the community actually liked what they were saying.

The supreme court actually ruled that corporations are not able to use money to campaign for or against particular candidates, only about certain issues, and the OP was essentially paying people to endorse their website. There is a bid difference because corporations would be inclined to support certain issues that would benefit them, while supporting specific candidates could cause the candidate to be influenced by the corporation that gave a large donation

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:49:27 PM

They do what they want; they run the site. Reddit is discriminatory against content creators!

A lot of the world is, I noticed. Especially when the content creators don't have a lot of money (or Bitcoin) for promotion.

Throw your computer at a cop!!
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 12:11:13 AM

Which thousands of people do  I guess. Maybe reddit is cracking down a lot recently.

The sad thing is; if it was just someone not attached to the website; or just disguise yourself; then its basically under the radar to spout out supposed "Spam" from the same site.

Doesn't their rating system work? People vote for what they like. What more is needed?

"posting your own content more than 1/10 times is considered spam on reddit no matter"

that's not an explicit rule. "a general rule of thumb is 10% or less of your links should be your own site"
http://www.reddit.com/wiki/selfpromotion

WRONG

Did not pay anyone to post MY articles. Did not pay anyone to upvote my articles either.

If I recall correctly you were giving out bitcoins for people to make reddit posts/comments/votes w/e for your sites content.

Reddit rules: You should not vote up only things from your domain or project, or have any other employees or fans do the same
I said "posting your own content more than 1/10 times is considered spam" reddit says "a general rule of thumb is 10% or less of your links should be your own site" essentially same shit. And I'll let you surf to find the source since I know you will......reddit also says, and I'm paraphrasing, "anytime you post content that you directly benefit from, consider yourself on thin ice".

Reddit has NOTHING to do with free speech. They host that content and have the right to allow whatever type of posts they want while filtering the rest. If you want FREE SPEECH create your own website and host it there....just like your doing with banksworstfear.

"You thought I just made up multiple author names to trick those of lesser intelligence than you that we're a crew of writers?"
By a "crew of writers" what you really mean is that you pay others to write articles for you so that you gain brand recognition and revenue without having to create all the articles yourself.

I think banksworstfear is a good website and we need sites like that. I just think you need to stop whining over reddit not allowing your content links over there anymore, move on and keep doing what you're doing. Your acting like some elementary kid that wants everyone to "play fair".

lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 12:46:07 AM

Found another goodie that supports my 10% rule.

"If over 10% of your submissions are your own site/content/affiliate links, you're almost certainly a spammer."

http://www.reddit.com/wiki/faq#wiki_what_constitutes_spam.3F

BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:17:45 AM

If I recall correctly...

Recollection incorrect.

dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:32:20 AM

If I recall correctly...

Recollection incorrect.
For any user who simply submits a link about the bitdrop to our subreddit I'll give you $0.25 of free bits.

simply google search or whatever, find a link that hasn't been posted yet, submit and post your username here with btc address

To remain anonymous you can message the moderator on the subreddit with the info or PM me here
You were paying people for posting links about your bitdrop. I am not sure what the percentages of the pages that were posted from your domain but I would say it would be a lot/most of the posts you paid for.

If you read the next paragraph you will see that it is against the rules to post about your own projects which is exactly what you were doing.
BanksWorstFear (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:32:40 PM

You were paying people for posting links about your bitdrop.

I don't have a bit drop

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: