Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:39:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Smartphones & Bitcoin  (Read 6066 times)
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:53:46 PM

+1 on the Samsung Galaxy SII:

1. Awesome screen. (size is perfect for me, bigger than iphone)
2. Great battery life. I use it hard (high-res gaming, video) and it lasts nearly all day.
3. Tough beast. Dropped mine on gravel while riding my bike. Not a mark on it with just a silicon skin + screen protector.
4. Very popular, there will be are tons of accessories for it.
5. Great camera.
6. Fast.
7. Super thin and not heavy.
8. Android rules.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PinkBatman

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 08:01:07 PM

I love my Galaxy Nexus. Took me about 2 months to decide on the phone and couldn't be happier. To me the GSII is a slightly better phone, but I am a fan of the GNex design. I have compared it to my friends iphones (cdma) and what stands out most is the iphones small dull display (even with the retina display) and large weight.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 08:02:45 PM

Your Walmart Tracphone is likely piggybacking off Sprint's CDMA network, so you might want to consider Sprint also.

This.  Now data might be a little different than voice but since you report good signal quality on the Walmart special Sprint is likely your best bet.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 03:02:05 AM

Please specify "android devices"

Since you are speaking about iphone, i expect that the android device is the Galaxy S2 or an equivalent. And sorry but the GS2 is better than the iphone

Sure, there are some 200$ android devices that sucks, it's true, but ehi they are cheap. You can't compare a 600$ iphone with a 200$ android.
What does 20 megapixel multiple cameras, high resolution display, and a mr fancy pants logo got to do with running a ledger app? Apples are over-priced electronics for fashion-conscious hipsters.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 03:07:00 AM

I'm cheap and never got a smart phone until last December.  When I did, I found the most cost effective option for me was to get a Virgin Mobile phone & plan.

They have a 1,200 minute plan with unlimited (now I think it's limited to 2GB) data & text for $45 per month.   And there's no contract.

The phone cost me $100 on Black Friday.  I bought an LG Optimus Slider because I wasn't ready to give up a keyboard for the typing on screen 100%.  I like my keyboard.  The phone is definitely an older model (like 1 year old) and only has a 3.2 inch screen.

Hope this is helpful if you're looking for a bargain...

If you want flashy new phone, I think that'll cost you on average around $600 over two years for a Verizon latest & greatest phone plus the extra higher monthly bill.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 03:49:52 AM

Apples are over-priced electronics for fashion-conscious hipsters.

Not really. My iphone 4 was $200 a year ago with 2 year plan. My galaxy tab was 600, which is worth what 50 now?

Yea, I can still sell my iphone 1 for over 50.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 05:37:54 AM

Please specify "android devices"

Since you are speaking about iphone, i expect that the android device is the Galaxy S2 or an equivalent. And sorry but the GS2 is better than the iphone

Sure, there are some 200$ android devices that sucks, it's true, but ehi they are cheap. You can't compare a 600$ iphone with a 200$ android.
What does 20 megapixel multiple cameras, high resolution display, and a mr fancy pants logo got to do with running a ledger app? Apples are over-priced electronics for fashion-conscious hipsters.
Couldn't say that better. At the very least get android over the iphone. Still though. My preference is WebOS-->Android-->Wp7-->Apple
I was suggesting the GS2 in my post  Wink
iFail is crap, "blablabla retina display"->a normal lcd display wich disappear when compared to an AMOLED display

kangasbros

Activity: 812

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 07:21:47 AM

Couldn't say that better. At the very least get android over the iphone. Still though. My preference is WebOS-->Android-->Wp7-->Apple

I don't really get why the hate. In my experience, Apple devices have always had superior usage time compared to other mobiles. Of course the software is locked etc.

But really, windows phone? You really recommend that over Apple? OK, I think you have something personal against apple devices... Cheesy

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 07:33:22 AM

Of course the software is locked etc.

with locked software you will never be able to use a real wallet on your phone.
you will need to trust a web-based wallet service.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 07:42:32 AM

Well, there is FriendlyPay and BitPak that are available for the iPhone

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 07:54:14 AM

Well, there is FriendlyPay and BitPak that are available for the iPhone

ok, I did not know about Bitpak.

FriendlyPay uses Instawallet, according to their website.
does that mean it runs javascript from the web, or does it have its own crypto module?

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 08:57:39 AM

does that mean it runs javascript from the web, or does it have its own crypto module?
I wouldn't recommend BitPak, it downloads the full blockchain, therefore it requires lots of time to initialize and storage to store the chain.
FriendlyPay sits on Instawallet, it uses the documented API, so it doesn't need to do any crypto.

Instawallet is being rewritten from scratch, currently it can be very slow (it relies too much on the bitcoin client which isn't able to handle multiple requests concurrently).

In a few days, when the new Instawallet is live FriendlyPay will probably be the best option for anyone looking for a simple wallet for a non-jailbroken iPhone.

Disclaimer : I'm now the lead developer for Instawallet, and I know the person who wrote FriendlyPay Wink

kangasbros

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 09:02:19 AM

I do not recommend BitPak to anyone - while I appreciate that people are developing these clients, people are reporting block chain download times like 2 weeks with BitPak. Recommending it is a surefire way to get people to hate bitcoin.

If FriendlyPay uses instawallet, it probably doesn't have its own crypto module. It is just a front-end to instawallet. And it doesn't allow sending.

Have to advertise my own service easywallet.org here - if you add it as a bookmark to your iPhone & install the QR Code scanner app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barcodes-scanner/id417257150?mt=8), you can send bitcoins back and forth using QR codes. Almost like a native app.

And then there is blockchain.info app, which I haven't tested extensively yet.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 09:09:59 AM

If FriendlyPay uses instawallet, it probably doesn't have its own crypto module. It is just a front-end to instawallet. And it doesn't allow sending.
It does allow sending coins, without the need of an external QR code reader Smiley

kangasbros

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 09:16:37 AM

It does allow sending coins, without the need of an external QR code reader Smiley

Well, I misunderstood the app description (http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/friendlypay/id473941791?mt=8)

Perhaps they should advertise the sending functionality a little better, because if you read the test you understand from it that the app is only for receiving...

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 09:22:21 AM

Perhaps they should advertise the sending functionality a little better, because if you read the test you understand from it that the app is only for receiving...
That is correct

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:15:16 AM

I appreciate the mentions on the various Bitcoin apps as well.

I wouldn't recommend BitPak, it downloads the full blockchain, therefore it requires lots of time to initialize and storage to store the chain.

Are you saying that the whole blockchain is then stored on the phone as an app?

in re. phone choices:

I have nothing against Apple, but will probably lean towards a Windows based OS.

I'm currently leaning toward the Samsung Galaxy S2.

That said, which carrier options should I consider and which ones should I stay away from?

Please continue the discussion on the various Bitcoin apps as well.

Thank you, all, who've contributed to this thread, to date.

~Bruno~
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 12:19:57 PM

I have a Nexus S 4G on Sprint and love it. It has NFC and as of last week, Ice Cream Sandwich. My only complaint is the lack of physical keyboard (soft is OK for some things but SSH works best with a physical keyboard). It also has no SD card slot but that's not a huge deal to me because I don't store lots of media so the 16G internal USB storage is fine for me.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 01:53:46 PM

Are you saying that the whole blockchain is then stored on the phone as an app?
The blockchain gets recorded in a per-app storage space which is IMO sub-optimal.

This leaves three types of possible wallets :
 - full bitcoin node like BitPak (requires lots of storage, lots of connectivity, IMO a bad option)
 - key-storage on the device like blockchain.info (good option if you're serious about backups and know what you're doing)
 - hosted wallet like Paytunia (in beta), FriendlyPay (good option if you want to take advantage of automatic backups and cold-storage, spend limits, push notifications, automatic green address sends, much better integration into exchanges etc.)

I don't think that any of the two last approaches is inherently better than the other, they just address different use-cases and targets. I think blockchain.info is preferable for advanced or technically literate users who don't mind taking care of their own security, while the hosted wallet approach better addresses everyday payments use cases and regular users. Both approaches are best suited for moderate amounts IMO.

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 02:12:20 PM

This leaves three types of possible wallets :
 - full bitcoin node like BitPak (requires lots of storage, lots of connectivity, IMO a bad option)
 - key-storage on the device like blockchain.info (good option if you're serious about backups and know what you're doing)
 - hosted wallet like Paytunia (in beta), FriendlyPay (good option if you want to take advantage of automatic backups and cold-storage, spend limits, push notifications, automatic green address sends, much better integration into exchanges etc.)

you forgot to mention Electrum: http://ecdsa.org/electrum/android.html
transactions are signed on the device, but you do not need to do any backups, because it is a deterministic wallet.
in addition, if they use the same seed, the wallet on your android phone is automatically synchronized with your desktop wallet.

more info here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75617.0;topicseen

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: