Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:36:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smartphones & Bitcoin  (Read 6066 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 01:54:15 PM

At the onset, this thread has two purposes: Which smartphone should I get and to discuss various models and best uses in relation to Bitcoin, of which may become an ongoing dialog.

In the next few days, I'll be getting a smartphone, for I'll need it to better demonstrate Bitcoin to potential new users. Early last year, I did have the new Android HTC and Verizon, but discontinued the service due to not being able to use it in the middle of nowhere where the barns were located. I calculated that I lost tens of thousands of dollars due to lost sales those close to three weeks. It was even a nightmare to revert my primary number back to my Walmart Tracfone. I will keep the Tracfone, for it's the one that works most anywhere, and use the smartphone for the populated areas. Pretty smart of me, eh? But I digress.

That said, which smartphone should I consider, coupled with which carrier? I won't be streaming movies or watching many videos on the phone, but will probably do a lot of web surfing. That should be the extent of my bandwidth usage. Moreover, the device will be used and shown to others for Bitcoin demonstrations.

Which smartphone do you use and with which carrier? Are better phones and services coming out over the horizon, and how easy is it to change out one phone to another (with the same carrier, provided I'm not locked in a contract) when a better phone does hit the market?

Thank you, in advance.

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:01:56 PM

Get a Samsung Galaxy S2
4.27'' AMOLED display, Android 4, Gorilla Glass etcetc... I love to see a iphone with his "retina display" (wich is just a norma lcd display) pale when compared to the GS2 AMOLED

Better phones coming out? Yes, the Galaxy S3 in some months.

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:13:49 PM

There are always better phones on the horizon, but frankly, Im still using my old LG P-500 upgraded to Android 2.3 and while it doesnt feel super fast while browsing, it actually does all I need, and then some. HIgher res screen would be nice, but I dont like carrying enormous bricks around either.

For the bitcoin apps out there, just about any android (2.3+) phone on the market would be fine, if not overkill.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 02:14:54 PM

Get a Samsung Galaxy S2
4.27'' AMOLED display, Android 4, Gorilla Glass etcetc... I love to see a iphone with his "retina display" (wich is just a norma lcd display) pale when compared to the GS2 AMOLED

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 02:32:43 PM

Get a Samsung Galaxy S2

Very nice suggestion, Gabi. I just viewed this video: Samsung Galaxy S2 vs HTC Sensation vs iPhone 4 Screen.

I look forward to reading other suggestion on phones (which I see are coming in) as well as comments of the various carriers.

~Bruno~
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:43:00 PM

IPhone 4 battery > Android. I charge my phone may be once every 2 days... And the size is perfect. I don't need larger phones.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:02:36 PM

I use both iPhone and Android, because I have been developing for both platforms.

I would say that android devices actually suck more from user perspective. The software is often buggy, and the device hardware seems cheap. However it is more open than iPhone, and you have more bitcoin software etc.

iPhone offers superior user experience IMHO, however it is more closed platform.

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:12:02 PM

Please specify "android devices"

Since you are speaking about iphone, i expect that the android device is the Galaxy S2 or an equivalent. And sorry but the GS2 is better than the iphone

Sure, there are some 200$ android devices that sucks, it's true, but ehi they are cheap. You can't compare a 600$ iphone with a 200$ android.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 03:16:13 PM

I have a samsung galaxy S2.
it works great Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:16:45 PM

I second that.

Get the Samsung Galaxy S2.

Yesterday a friend got the Sony Xperia so I compared the phones for quite some time.
The Sony have a higher screen resolution, a little faster processor etc.
(But you wont notice the difference.)

The Sony Xperia screen lacks the oumph in colors. They look bland.
When surfing the higher screen resolution did not make it easier to read text, maybe even harder.

It got less battery time and the interface although good, is not as good.
Though its still a topnotch phone.

It has slightly better camera that can be accessed with a button, without having to unlock the phone and it can be connected with Hdmi straight to a TV, thats nice.

Go with any of those.

Do not get Iphone. They are made of glass.

But if you got big pockets, and I don´t mean deep, I mean big as in really big.
Get the Samsung Note. Its quite big which makes it great for surfing, really good batterytime etc.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 03:18:38 PM

I have a samsung galaxy S2.
it works great Smiley

oh, and did I mention that I bought it with bitcoins, using spendbitcoin.com Smiley

realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:32:25 PM

I would say that android devices actually suck more from user perspective. The software is often buggy, and the device hardware seems cheap. However it is more open than iPhone, and you have more bitcoin software etc.

While you're right in general, the average quality of software is lower.  It's not true that all software for android is low quality.  It's simply that being an open market allows the crap to get through too.

With android you have to be willing to try a few apps to find the best one; or read some reviews, or go off recommendations.  If you do that, android software is fine.

For me, the advantages of having a freer market (and hence am able to choose from a wide variety of, say, bitcoin software) outweighs any disadvantage from having to try three apps to find one that doesn't suck for any particular job.

Don't forget the killer feature of Android though: it doesn't require iTunes.

As to "cheap hardware"... you get what you pay for.  If you buy a £99 ZTE Blade, then you can't really complain that it's not as good as a Samsung Galaxy or a HTC One.  The advantage, again, of Android is that you get to choose hardware to suit you.  For example, I like a phone that uses a full size SIM and has the ability to use extra SD storage.  There is an Android phone for me.  There isn't an iPhone for me.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
kangasbros

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:41:44 PM

As to "cheap hardware"... you get what you pay for.  If you buy a £99 ZTE Blade, then you can't really complain that it's not as good as a Samsung Galaxy or a HTC One.

Sorry I didn't specify earlier, I have HTC Desire. It cost something like 500 euros when I bought it maybe 1,5 years ago, and I think it is crappier than iPhone 3GS.

However of course things have progressed since then. I haven't tried out Samsung Galaxy S2. However I'm pretty sceptical that it has better user experience than iPhone 4S. I have seen some, being used by my friends.

2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:14:42 PM

Get a phone with NFC.
vampire

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:42:10 PM

As to "cheap hardware"... you get what you pay for.  If you buy a £99 ZTE Blade, then you can't really complain that it's not as good as a Samsung Galaxy or a HTC One.

Sorry I didn't specify earlier, I have HTC Desire. It cost something like 500 euros when I bought it maybe 1,5 years ago, and I think it is crappier than iPhone 3GS.

However of course things have progressed since then. I haven't tried out Samsung Galaxy S2. However I'm pretty sceptical that it has better user experience than iPhone 4S. I have seen some, being used by my friends.

I had a Nexus One a while ago, it sucked compare to Iphone 4. I also had T-Mobile G1... Which was crap as well... The original Iphone was so much better.

I have a Galaxy Tab, which is unusable with 2.3 firmware - too slow.

I am pretty much done with Androids now, they were all crap and overpriced.
realnowhereman

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 06:06:22 PM

Each to his own I suppose; I've got a HTC Desire too and find it perfectly acceptable.

My friend has a 3GS and it's definitely showing its age; whereas the Desire is as good as it ever was.  If nothing else, being able to install BitcoinSpinner et al makes it worth having an android.

Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:20:50 PM

I'm waiting on the Samsung Galaxy SIII!!!!

Mousepotato
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:21:00 PM

Very happy with my S2, i don't understand the comment above about iPhone having superior battery life?
I can run about 3 days on my S2 (that is if i don't watch youtube movies all day long... xD), just regular calling, messaging, looking up  some stuff on the internet.
When surfing a lot and watching videos, having all kinds of messengers logged on, facebook tumbler stuff like that, yea it's  drained in a day then.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:41:32 PM

Get a phone with NFC.
i'd get a Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250
-android 4
-nfc
-amoled
BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:50:22 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2012, 08:30:52 PM by BusmasterDMA

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is the most polished version to date.  As far as hardware I highly recommend the Galaxy Nexus.  It is one of only a few device already running 4.0, and it will be the first device to get updates directly from Google.   Also has NFC and a large, sexy screen for showing off the Bitcoin clients.

In regard to service, I'm a little surprised Verizon doesn't offer the best signal out there where the barns are located.  Your Walmart Tracphone is likely piggybacking off Sprint's CDMA network, so you might want to consider Sprint also.

In regard to switching out devices, you can't beat AT&T and T-Mobile (both GSM networks).  Switching phones is as easy as moving your SIM card.  And all the cool European/Asian import phones tend to be GSM. (T-Mobile USA doesn't offer the Galaxy Nexus, so I bought an unlocked GSM model from the UK)

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:53:46 PM

+1 on the Samsung Galaxy SII:

1. Awesome screen. (size is perfect for me, bigger than iphone)
2. Great battery life. I use it hard (high-res gaming, video) and it lasts nearly all day.
3. Tough beast. Dropped mine on gravel while riding my bike. Not a mark on it with just a silicon skin + screen protector.
4. Very popular, there will be are tons of accessories for it.
5. Great camera.
6. Fast.
7. Super thin and not heavy.
8. Android rules.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
PinkBatman

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 08:01:07 PM

I love my Galaxy Nexus. Took me about 2 months to decide on the phone and couldn't be happier. To me the GSII is a slightly better phone, but I am a fan of the GNex design. I have compared it to my friends iphones (cdma) and what stands out most is the iphones small dull display (even with the retina display) and large weight.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 08:02:45 PM

Your Walmart Tracphone is likely piggybacking off Sprint's CDMA network, so you might want to consider Sprint also.

This.  Now data might be a little different than voice but since you report good signal quality on the Walmart special Sprint is likely your best bet.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 03:02:05 AM

Since you are speaking about iphone, i expect that the android device is the Galaxy S2 or an equivalent. And sorry but the GS2 is better than the iphone

Sure, there are some 200$ android devices that sucks, it's true, but ehi they are cheap. You can't compare a 600$ iphone with a 200$ android.
What does 20 megapixel multiple cameras, high resolution display, and a mr fancy pants logo got to do with running a ledger app? Apples are over-priced electronics for fashion-conscious hipsters.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 03:07:00 AM

I'm cheap and never got a smart phone until last December.  When I did, I found the most cost effective option for me was to get a Virgin Mobile phone & plan.

They have a 1,200 minute plan with unlimited (now I think it's limited to 2GB) data & text for $45 per month.   And there's no contract.

The phone cost me $100 on Black Friday.  I bought an LG Optimus Slider because I wasn't ready to give up a keyboard for the typing on screen 100%.  I like my keyboard.  The phone is definitely an older model (like 1 year old) and only has a 3.2 inch screen.

Hope this is helpful if you're looking for a bargain...

If you want flashy new phone, I think that'll cost you on average around $600 over two years for a Verizon latest & greatest phone plus the extra higher monthly bill.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
vampire

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 03:49:52 AM

Apples are over-priced electronics for fashion-conscious hipsters.

Not really. My iphone 4 was $200 a year ago with 2 year plan. My galaxy tab was 600, which is worth what 50 now?

Yea, I can still sell my iphone 1 for over 50.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 05:37:54 AM

What does 20 megapixel multiple cameras, high resolution display, and a mr fancy pants logo got to do with running a ledger app? Apples are over-priced electronics for fashion-conscious hipsters.
Couldn't say that better. At the very least get android over the iphone. Still though. My preference is WebOS-->Android-->Wp7-->Apple
I was suggesting the GS2 in my post  Wink
iFail is crap, "blablabla retina display"->a normal lcd display wich disappear when compared to an AMOLED display

kangasbros

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 07:21:47 AM

Couldn't say that better. At the very least get android over the iphone. Still though. My preference is WebOS-->Android-->Wp7-->Apple

I don't really get why the hate. In my experience, Apple devices have always had superior usage time compared to other mobiles. Of course the software is locked etc.

But really, windows phone? You really recommend that over Apple? OK, I think you have something personal against apple devices... Cheesy

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 07:33:22 AM

Of course the software is locked etc.

with locked software you will never be able to use a real wallet on your phone.
you will need to trust a web-based wallet service.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 07:42:32 AM

Well, there is FriendlyPay and BitPak that are available for the iPhone

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 07:54:14 AM

Well, there is FriendlyPay and BitPak that are available for the iPhone

ok, I did not know about Bitpak.

FriendlyPay uses Instawallet, according to their website.
does that mean it runs javascript from the web, or does it have its own crypto module?

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 08:57:39 AM

does that mean it runs javascript from the web, or does it have its own crypto module?
I wouldn't recommend BitPak, it downloads the full blockchain, therefore it requires lots of time to initialize and storage to store the chain.
FriendlyPay sits on Instawallet, it uses the documented API, so it doesn't need to do any crypto.

Instawallet is being rewritten from scratch, currently it can be very slow (it relies too much on the bitcoin client which isn't able to handle multiple requests concurrently).

In a few days, when the new Instawallet is live FriendlyPay will probably be the best option for anyone looking for a simple wallet for a non-jailbroken iPhone.

Disclaimer : I'm now the lead developer for Instawallet, and I know the person who wrote FriendlyPay Wink

kangasbros

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 09:02:19 AM

I do not recommend BitPak to anyone - while I appreciate that people are developing these clients, people are reporting block chain download times like 2 weeks with BitPak. Recommending it is a surefire way to get people to hate bitcoin.

If FriendlyPay uses instawallet, it probably doesn't have its own crypto module. It is just a front-end to instawallet. And it doesn't allow sending.

Have to advertise my own service easywallet.org here - if you add it as a bookmark to your iPhone & install the QR Code scanner app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barcodes-scanner/id417257150?mt=8), you can send bitcoins back and forth using QR codes. Almost like a native app.

And then there is blockchain.info app, which I haven't tested extensively yet.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 09:09:59 AM

If FriendlyPay uses instawallet, it probably doesn't have its own crypto module. It is just a front-end to instawallet. And it doesn't allow sending.
It does allow sending coins, without the need of an external QR code reader Smiley

kangasbros

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 09:16:37 AM

It does allow sending coins, without the need of an external QR code reader Smiley

Well, I misunderstood the app description (http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/friendlypay/id473941791?mt=8)

Perhaps they should advertise the sending functionality a little better, because if you read the test you understand from it that the app is only for receiving...

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 09:22:21 AM

Perhaps they should advertise the sending functionality a little better, because if you read the test you understand from it that the app is only for receiving...
That is correct

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:15:16 AM

I appreciate the mentions on the various Bitcoin apps as well.

I wouldn't recommend BitPak, it downloads the full blockchain, therefore it requires lots of time to initialize and storage to store the chain.

Are you saying that the whole blockchain is then stored on the phone as an app?

in re. phone choices:

I have nothing against Apple, but will probably lean towards a Windows based OS.

I'm currently leaning toward the Samsung Galaxy S2.

That said, which carrier options should I consider and which ones should I stay away from?

Please continue the discussion on the various Bitcoin apps as well.

Thank you, all, who've contributed to this thread, to date.

~Bruno~
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 12:19:57 PM

I have a Nexus S 4G on Sprint and love it. It has NFC and as of last week, Ice Cream Sandwich. My only complaint is the lack of physical keyboard (soft is OK for some things but SSH works best with a physical keyboard). It also has no SD card slot but that's not a huge deal to me because I don't store lots of media so the 16G internal USB storage is fine for me.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 01:53:46 PM

The blockchain gets recorded in a per-app storage space which is IMO sub-optimal.

This leaves three types of possible wallets :
 - full bitcoin node like BitPak (requires lots of storage, lots of connectivity, IMO a bad option)
 - key-storage on the device like blockchain.info (good option if you're serious about backups and know what you're doing)
 - hosted wallet like Paytunia (in beta), FriendlyPay (good option if you want to take advantage of automatic backups and cold-storage, spend limits, push notifications, automatic green address sends, much better integration into exchanges etc.)

I don't think that any of the two last approaches is inherently better than the other, they just address different use-cases and targets. I think blockchain.info is preferable for advanced or technically literate users who don't mind taking care of their own security, while the hosted wallet approach better addresses everyday payments use cases and regular users. Both approaches are best suited for moderate amounts IMO.

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 02:12:20 PM

- full bitcoin node like BitPak (requires lots of storage, lots of connectivity, IMO a bad option)
 - key-storage on the device like blockchain.info (good option if you're serious about backups and know what you're doing)
 - hosted wallet like Paytunia (in beta), FriendlyPay (good option if you want to take advantage of automatic backups and cold-storage, spend limits, push notifications, automatic green address sends, much better integration into exchanges etc.)

you forgot to mention Electrum: http://ecdsa.org/electrum/android.html
transactions are signed on the device, but you do not need to do any backups, because it is a deterministic wallet.
in addition, if they use the same seed, the wallet on your android phone is automatically synchronized with your desktop wallet.

more info here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75617.0;topicseen

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 02:26:14 PM

you forgot to mention Electrum: http://ecdsa.org/electrum/android.html
transactions are signed on the device, but you do not need to do any backups, because it is a deterministic wallet.
in addition, if they use the same seed, the wallet on your android phone is automatically synchronized with your desktop wallet.

more info here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75617.0;topicseen
You're right! Sorry about that!

I personnaly am not a big fan of limiting one's wallet entropy to a single seed, but I'll admit that it's a very clever idea!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 05:45:14 PM

The blockchain gets recorded in a per-app storage space which is IMO sub-optimal.

I don't think that any of the two last approaches is inherently better than the other, they just address different use-cases and targets. I think blockchain.info is preferable for advanced or technically literate users who don't mind taking care of their own security, while the hosted wallet approach better addresses everyday payments use cases and regular users. Both approaches are best suited for moderate amounts IMO.

What if smartphones were pre-installed with the blockchain, then automatically updated when the phone is on?

~Bruno~
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 09:01:19 PM

What if smartphones were pre-installed with the blockchain, then automatically updated when the phone is on?
How would that change anything? (or maybe you're being sarcastic Cheesy)

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 09:14:28 PM

How would that change anything? (or maybe you're being sarcastic Cheesy)

I was serious, though my wording could have been better.

I simply envisioned (a) smartphones to have the blockchain pre-installed prior to purchasing them. I was wondering how practical this would be, and its feasibility in the future.

~Bruno~
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 07:33:49 AM

I personnaly am not a big fan of limiting one's wallet entropy to a single seed

huh??? using multiple seeds because you believe that a single seed does not give you sufficient protection is a terrible idea.

the only thing that matters is how much bits of entropy protects your money. if you believe that your seed/private key/password/whatever is not long enough, the correct strategy is to use a longer one, not to split your assets in order to limit damage.

FYI, Electrum default seeds have 128 bits of entropy, and standard Bitcoin addresses have 160 bits of entropy.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 02:42:02 PM

I simply envisioned (a) smartphones to have the blockchain pre-installed prior to purchasing them. I was wondering how practical this would be, and its feasibility in the future.
I'm not sure it would be very practical for manufacturers (they'd have to update the chain constantly), for users (they'd have to give up significant storage space), and for cellular networks.

huh??? using multiple seeds because you believe that a single seed does not give you sufficient protection is a terrible idea.

the only thing that matters is how much bits of entropy protects your money. if you believe that your seed/private key/password/whatever is not long enough, the correct strategy is to use a longer one, not to split your assets in order to limit damage.

FYI, Electrum default seeds have 128 bits of entropy, and standard Bitcoin addresses have 160 bits of entropy.
I never said it would be a good idea to use multiple seeds.
I'm simply stating that using a seed to deterministically generate an potentially infinite sequence of adresses is not neutral from a security POV since you're basically limiting the entropy of your complete key collection to the entropy of the original seed. Which according to you is (by default) even lower than the entropy provided by the random generation of a single address.

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 08:11:56 PM

I never said it would be a good idea to use multiple seeds.
I'm simply stating that using a seed to deterministically generate an potentially infinite sequence of adresses is not neutral from a security POV since you're basically limiting the entropy of your complete key collection to the entropy of the original seed. Which according to you is (by default) even lower than the entropy provided by the random generation of a single address.

I believe that a 128 bits seed is safe given today's technology. However, I am not an expert cryptographer; I formed this belief from discussions with Bitcoin developers. If you think that 128 bits is not sufficient please let me know.

However, if you believe that the seed is long enough to be safe, then there is absolutely no reason to increase the entropy of your wallet by using random keys. I suppose that you have read a very different argument, about the fact that a wallet using random keys is "permanently unstolen", and that you are somehow confusing that argument with the entropy of a wallet. That argument is about an attacker gaining access to an old version of your wallet, and it has nothing to do with entropy.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 10:24:41 PM

I believe that a 128 bits seed is safe given today's technology. However, I am not an expert cryptographer; I formed this belief from discussions with Bitcoin developers. If you think that 128 bits is not sufficient please let me know.
I just did the math. Looks like it is ridiculously safe.

Time in billions of years it would take to exhaust seed space at 1 billion seeds/second --> http://tinyurl.com/6uy9acm

It is safer than it intuitively looks like I guess Smiley

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 01:43:34 PM

If you get an Android phone, I would recommend you use "Bitcoin Wallet" app by Andreas Schildbach. Do NOT use the app by Bitcoin Labs - it has serious issues with bitcoins that appear to be sent but are actually not.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 01:51:24 PM

If you get an Android phone, I would recommend you use "Bitcoin Wallet" app by Andreas Schildbach. Do NOT use the app by Bitcoin Labs - it has serious issues with bitcoins that appear to be sent but are actually not.
There's also Paytunia that does good job if you don't want to download the full chain and don't mind using a hosted wallet.

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 12:34:52 PM

If you get an Android phone, I would recommend you use "Bitcoin Wallet" app by Andreas Schildbach.
I would not recommend it to newbies, because most people would not know how to backup their key from a mobile phone.
Should anything happen to the mobile device or app, the bitcoins are lost.

In contrast a true "light" client like Paytunia is a safer option: if the device is lost, the coins are safely stored and recovered from the server.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2012, 12:58:58 PM

First off, thanks to everybody who helped in my decision making. I've decided to take French for two semesters.  Grin

Seriously, I purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII Titanium with T-Mobile. Not sure if I made the correct choice, for it took over eight hours to get the phone activate--SERIOUSLY! The first three hours, I tried to do it on my own. No joy! I couldn't get pass the Google sign in/up stage. Then I went on live and chatted with a rep on the Samsung site. She finally told me that she couldn't help me and that I needed to contact T-Mobile, of which there office closes at 10PM. So I went to chat with a T-Mobile rep online. After about a half hour, she couldn't help me either, but was kind enough to give me a phone number to call. The same number I already had at my disposal but it was after 10PM. I tried it anyway. Guess what? I got lucky and was able to get a live rep, for she was on the West Coast. (Yes, all three support individuals were women and spoke English and, yes, at one point I thought I was being scammed because of this fact.  Roll Eyes) After being on the phone with the T-Mobile girl for over an hour, she finally said that there was nothing she could do, but offered up one finally solution. She told be go outside and see if I can get better reception. So, with a phone in each hand, I went to the door to open it, but my hands were full. Fortunately, I dropped the $500 Samsung smartphone, freeing up one hand to open the door. I opened the door, then picked the now dented phone and the battery that fell out of the back, as well as the back cover. On instinct, I placed the battery back into the phone and, guess what? The phone started working. She kindly informed me that that's what we should have done first--take out, then re-install the battery.

Now, I'm a proud owner of a dented smartphone that has a screen that no longer rotates when I rotate the phone. And it's all Bitcoin's fault. Therefore, I'm going sue Bitcoin for all my hard-aches.  Wink

C'est la vie!

~Bruno~
P4man

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 02:33:17 PM

I would not recommend it to newbies, because most people would not know how to backup their key from a mobile phone.
Should anything happen to the mobile device or app, the bitcoins are lost.

If you use blockchain app, it uses the same wallet as the online one, so its already backed up in the cloud, and from the site, you can easily email an ecrypted backup to yourself.

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 07:03:40 PM

Phinnaeus it's not our fault if you buy the phone with T Mobile Cheesy

What about the next time you just buy the phone? Like you go to the shop, you say "i want to buy this", you pay and that's all? What i don't understand is why in USA people just don't buy the phone and then just put in their card

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:10:32 PM

What about the next time you just buy the phone? Like you go to the shop, you say "i want to buy this", you pay and that's all? What i don't understand is why in USA people just don't buy the phone and then just put in their card
That's rarely an option, because many phones are subsidized by the carrier. And, the carrier locks the phone to their network, making it impossible to switch. You could buy an unlocked phone from some places, but they cost a lot more.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:22:23 PM

First off, thanks to everybody who helped in my decision making. I've decided to take French for two semesters.  Grin

Seriously, I purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII Titanium with T-Mobile. Not sure if I made the correct choice, for it took over eight hours to get the phone activate--SERIOUSLY! The first three hours, I tried to do it on my own. No joy! I couldn't get pass the Google sign in/up stage. Then I went on live and chatted with a rep on the Samsung site. She finally told me that she couldn't help me and that I needed to contact T-Mobile, of which there office closes at 10PM. So I went to chat with a T-Mobile rep online. After about a half hour, she couldn't help me either, but was kind enough to give me a phone number to call. The same number I already had at my disposal but it was after 10PM. I tried it anyway. Guess what? I got lucky and was able to get a live rep, for she was on the West Coast. (Yes, all three support individuals were women and spoke English and, yes, at one point I thought I was being scammed because of this fact.  Roll Eyes) After being on the phone with the T-Mobile girl for over an hour, she finally said that there was nothing she could do, but offered up one finally solution. She told be go outside and see if I can get better reception. So, with a phone in each hand, I went to the door to open it, but my hands were full. Fortunately, I dropped the $500 Samsung smartphone, freeing up one hand to open the door. I opened the door, then picked the now dented phone and the battery that fell out of the back, as well as the back cover. On instinct, I placed the battery back into the phone and, guess what? The phone started working. She kindly informed me that that's what we should have done first--take out, then re-install the battery.

Now, I'm a proud owner of a dented smartphone that has a screen that no longer rotates when I rotate the phone. And it's all Bitcoin's fault. Therefore, I'm going sue Bitcoin for all my hard-aches.  Wink

C'est la vie!

~Bruno~

Did I recommend the Samsung s2? I´m sorry I mixed it up. This is the phone you should have gotten Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIVf2nqJsg

I´m sorry to hear but you should be lucky you got the Samsung. The iphones are made of glass, they break if you look at them to long.
I went to three different stores, they all told me that they got back Iphones that where broken from falls but Samsung was one of the best at taking hits.

Samsung s2 vs iphone 4 droptest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKJp9EMRjXY

You can check if the gyro is broken by dialing *#0*# this will take you to a "hidden" test menu.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
realnowhereman

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 05:34:09 PM

That's rarely an option, because many phones are subsidized by the carrier. And, the carrier locks the phone to their network, making it impossible to switch. You could buy an unlocked phone from some places, but they cost a lot moreless.

Fixed that for you.

Subsidised phones, when you consider the amount you pay over the contract period, are considerably more expensive.  If you've got cashflow problems, then perhaps its better for you to pay for it over 18 months; but everyone else would be better off paying the up front price for an unlocked phone, then negotiating an amazing deal from the carrier.  Which isn't hard to do at all.

P4man

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:15:33 AM

I bricked my LG optimus trying to upgrade it to android 4, so I looked for a cheapish replacement and found this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/803232/211505324-557211424/Titan-X310e-Android-4-0-ICS-4-3-inch-Phone-MTK6575-1GHz-CPU-512MB-RAM-4GB.html

I actually ordered it on ebay for GBP 154,99.

Its a chinese no name phone, fake HTC I guess, under the hood its the same phone as the zopo ZP100;  specs look pretty damn decent and plenty good for me (1GH single core Cortex A9, high res screen, dual sim, dual camera etc), and Ive seen a few user reviews that all say its actually a fantastic phone except for rather poor GPS reception. I can live with that given the price is only a fraction of an otherwise more or less comparable galaxy S2. Its actually cheaper than most second hand Galaxy S1s Ive seen.

Here is a youtube clip of the phone in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hax0HkHxpYA&feature=related

Thought Id let you know in case someone is looking for a mid range 4.3" android phone and doesnt want to spend more on it than on a second hand car Smiley.

MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:49:41 PM

I recommend going into a CEX or cash converters (in the UK) and picking up a "new" phone there. people with contracts go and drop brand new models in for next to nothing. they then sell.

I got a Motorola XT910 for 279GBP. Its flawless, headphones werent even opened.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:55:05 PM

Subsidised phones, when you consider the amount you pay over the contract period, are considerably more expensive.  If you've got cashflow problems, then perhaps its better for you to pay for it over 18 months; but everyone else would be better off paying the up front price for an unlocked phone, then negotiating an amazing deal from the carrier.  Which isn't hard to do at all.

Exactly and prepaid is growing up.  

Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus (from Google) - $400
$35 per month prepaid plan from T-Mobile  (granted this plan only has 100 voice minutes but there are other options)
3% discount from Tangible Cryptography for paying with Bitcoins.
2 years of service & hardware = $400 + 0.97*35*24 = $1214
Saying good bye to contacts forever.  Priceless.

Now compare that to what a "low cost" top of the line Android phone w/ locked in contract is going to cost you. Smiley
Remember that "$60" plan is more like $75 to $80 when you include all the fees, taxes, service charges, 9/11, USF, etc.  
$35 (or $45 or $60) prepaid plan already includes all taxes & fees.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 05:50:22 PM

I would read through this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84669.0 first. I would not even consider an iPhone or for that matter any other phone in a "walled garden" such as a Windows phone for Bitcoin.

That leaves Android phones, but check first that the ability to install applications outside the Android market has not been disabled by some dinosaur carrier. Also phones running GNU / Linux with third party GPLv3 / AGPLv3 code where such code needs root access in order to be modified are a good choice because they cannot be locked down for licensing reasons.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 12:58:55 AM

I would read through this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84669.0 first. I would not even consider an iPhone or for that matter any other phone in a "walled garden" such as a Windows phone for Bitcoin.

That leaves Android phones, but check first that the ability to install applications outside the Android market has not been disabled by some dinosaur carrier. Also phones running GNU / Linux with third party GPLv3 / AGPLv3 code where such code needs root access in order to be modified are a good choice because they cannot be locked down for licensing reasons.

Your best option is an "unbranded" unlocked no contract phone.

This is honest pretty much impossible to beat:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

Carrier locks suck for a lot of reasons.  It makes the phone worthless if you wan't/need to leave the carrier.  They know this and that is why they do it.  Also carriers are horrible for upgrading phones to latest version.  Lots of people got trapped on Android phones which were Android 2.x capable but the carriers simply never upgraded them (and you can't unless you root them).
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:30:16 AM

Just got a Google nexus cell..

Crazy awesome phone...

There is nothing this cell cant do..  and has NFT  near field tech.. 

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: