Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:01:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will there ever be a way to put orphaned coins in the reward for mining?  (Read 1345 times)
deus-ex-machina (OP)

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:14:58 PM

Orphaned coins lower the amount left. That can add up, since it never goes down. Because of this, it will at some point reach 21 million. The key is to somehow put all of these coins in the reward without the used ones going as well. Is there any way to do so?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 03:18:53 PM

This has been discussed before.  The main issue is determining with 100% accuracy that coins have been lost (private key lost or never created) or just sitting there.  Just because coins have been sitting for two years does not mean that the private key has been lost.  What if I am just saving them for a rainy day?

EDIT:  There are some BTC that we know for sure are never coming back (like BTC that were lost during certain tests and bugs in clients, etc.) but the vast majority of the coins that are lost to the sytem just look like long term savings.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
deus-ex-machina (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:26:43 PM

I guess there's always "garbage collecting". When the reward for mining goes below 5 BTC for a month or so, run a collection from the addresses that lasts 1 year. If an address is online for even 1 picosecond of that year, they keep the balance. No need to spend anything. Think it would work?
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:27:27 PM

Orphaned coins lower the amount left. That can add up, since it never goes down. Because of this, it will at some point reach 21 million. The key is to somehow put all of these coins in the reward without the used ones going as well. Is there any way to do so?

Just to use proper terms, 'orphaned' (as in orphaned blocks) is not the same as 'lost' (as in lost coins).

A 'lost coin' is generally a coin where the private key has been lost (like with a lost wallet.dat) and this is not recoverable. Such coins reduce the total number of bitcoins available. As Burt pointed out, this has been discussed in several threads on this forum, just search for it.

An 'orphaned block' is a block that is not part of the longest chain, something like that could happen if someone else mined faster and the network always recognizes the longest chain as the valid one. Orphaned blocks thus don't count towards the total coins mined, and the don't 'add up'. The only way to use orphaned blocks is to continue your own alt-chain (if anyone cares). Bitcoin would only care for blocks in the longest chain.

wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:28:58 PM

I guess there's always "garbage collecting". When the reward for mining goes below 5 BTC for a month or so, run a collection from the addresses that lasts 1 year. If an address is online for even 1 picosecond of that year, they keep the balance. No need to spend anything. Think it would work?

Please search the forums for threads discussing that. This has REALLY been discussed up and down already. You're re-inventing the wheel.

Also, this thread should go into General Bitcoin Discussion, not the Speculation forum.

deus-ex-machina (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:30:48 PM

I'll spend a while searching for what's been suggested and a possible answer. If there is one, I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime, I guess It's only polite to close this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: