Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:09:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [HAX] Run Wallets with a Windows Ramdisk / USB Drive  (Read 995 times)
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 11:14:45 PM

Ok so i had wanted to get my JackpotCoin wallet running with some Ramdisk software and i got it going Smiley

Why ?
Well i run my wallet for JPC staking coins all the time and wanted it to load up quicker etc for performance reasons.

The first problem i ran into was with trying to use Windows NTFS "Junctions" they simply do NOT work with any wallet i tried.
A junction if people don't know is pretty much a shortcut to redirect a folder location.
So since that fails because of a run time problem i had to find another solution..
i did Smiley

I Googled it and found some guy who used a wallet command-line option for Quark last year. (he was trying to use a USB drive)
And i then used a hex editor to verify that the command-line option existed inside my wallet QT.

So what i did then was i shut off my JackpotCoin wallet that was POS staking coins.
Then i opened my windows roaming folder JPC data folder and copied it into my Ramdisk drive.
And then renamed the original roaming folder so it would be ignored but still there if needed later.
Then i added the following to the Wallet Shortcut..

Code:
C:\CryptoCoins\JackpotCoin\jackpotcoin-qt.exe -datadir=Z:\AppData\Roaming\JackpotCoin

I fired it up and noticed it started up a lot faster, hooray  Grin

I had got a RamDisk program a long time ago and only recently got motivated to try it out so for this experiment i am using..
Romex Software - Primo Ramdisk - Ultimate Edition v5.5.0
I chose this one based on some Google searching..
The following comparison some guy made rated it very highly too.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1381131/ramdisks-roundup-and-testing

I chose to use a 2gb Ramdisk with Direct I/O mode with backup to HDD / auto-saving as the default 60 minutes.
It's worth mentioning that Primo saves only the files modified unlike *some Ramdisk programs that save the whole image over again.
So there is plenty of them out there to choose from.

Lastly i did not try it yet but i bet you could run your wallet or daemon off a USB drive pretty much the same way.
Just put all the files on a USB drive then create a special shortcut specifying the path via command-line for the roaming "data" directory and that should be it.

I hope you all enjoy these leet wallet hax  Cool

PS:
This can make your browser fast as hell too !
I copied the Local data folder + Roaming data folder + Program Files install folder to my Primo Ramdisk for Firefox
and my Peacekeeper benchmark score skyrocketed and the performance and start up time was greatly improved Smiley

FUD first & ask questions later™

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pork pie

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 11:23:39 PM

You could do the same thing by creating your shortcut like this

Z:\CryptoCoins\JackpotCoin\jackpotcoin-qt.exe -datadir=.

It should dump all the appdata stuff into your JackpotCoin folder if you start from a fresh install in your thumb drive (if it's Z:).
esotericizm

Activity: 750
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 11:48:15 PM

could achieve the same with symlinks? (ableit not portable)
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 12:54:44 AM

You could do the same thing by creating your shortcut like this

Z:\CryptoCoins\JackpotCoin\jackpotcoin-qt.exe -datadir=.

It should dump all the appdata stuff into your JackpotCoin folder if you start from a fresh install in your thumb drive (if it's Z:).

ya i was wondering about that but didn't try it yet though.. thanks for the tip  Smiley

and symlinks ? not sure what you mean by that.. sounds like windows "Junctions" which is a symbolic link of sorts

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: