Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:13:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It's time to earn interest on Bitcoin holdings  (Read 1515 times)
pythonista (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 11:49:03 PM

Instead of transaction fees going to pay miners, its actually possible to instead store some of those fees in a fund on the network, which can be payed out to long term Bitcoin holders.

This is what bter.com does for their deposits. There is no reason why you couldnt do this on a blockchain as well.

If only we didnt have to pay miners for their costly task of confirming blocks - if only there was a more efficient way to do it.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 11:51:18 PM

Instead of transaction fees going to pay miners, its actually possible to instead store some of those fees in a fund on the network, which can be payed out to long term Bitcoin holders.
Speaking as a long-term holder who would stand to benefit from your proposal...

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
johncarpe64

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 12:09:39 AM

There are several scam coins that do this. It is called PoS (proof of stake - it is more accurately described as piece of shit) mining algo, the network is essentially secured by nodes who have unspent inputs of the scam coin in their wallet. In return for keeping the coin and not spending it holders of the coin will earn some level of interest. This method is horribly easy to manipulate and is much worse then PoW (proof of work - what Bitcoin uses). 
H.W.Z

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 01:42:02 AM

It will lead to the number of long term Bitcoin holders increases much more than before. Due to the inherent deflationary, BTC holders already tends to hoard than to spend.  If no spending, it will kill the BTC. Do you guys want to see this happen?

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1073

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 01:44:54 AM

Long term holders already are rich and will not need the fee.

Plus might be a surprise, but miners have costs to mine and confirm blocks, so the fee is not exactly a giveaway, but a payment.

Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:01:10 AM

This is what bter.com does for their deposits. There is no reason why you couldnt do this on a blockchain as well.

If only we didnt have to pay miners for their costly task of confirming blocks - if only there was a more efficient way to do it.

Some PoS coin actually does that.

But there is little to no adoption to coin that offer interest to holders.
CozyLife

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Theymos, unban my account.

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 02:05:33 AM

If only miners didn't have to pay $10,000 for units that will never ROI. If only people would stop complaining about having to pay 6 pennies per transaction. If only people would realize that when the block rewards end, that mining fees are the incentive for miners to continue mining. Come on, man. I don't know if you don't really understand how this works or if you're just being a money grubby, but it's a bit nuts to say that we should stop paying miners the little bit they do get from helping to keep the entire blockchain secure and functioning.

Due to an article that BitcoinTalk didn't like that I wrote on CCN, my account is banned. Theymos refuses to reply to my request for hearing his side of the story instead of banning my account. Please sign my petition to get Theymos to unban my account. Thank you.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:13:02 AM

None sense. You want to totally change the algo from POW to POS. Can you see  how the pos crap coins have being doing?   Nearly no miners will agree with you!
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:20:07 AM

there are a bunch of scam coins and other alt coins that do things like this and claim to be like this. dont fall for such claims about making money off of other things. it just doesnt work out in the end and someone wills cam you. better off buying bitcoin and holding or investing in some start up.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:21:15 AM
Last edit: September 08, 2014, 03:08:33 AM by franky1

Cheesy i think the OP is suggesting to give every satoshi that he holds to miners Cheesy

oh wait, suddenly i can predict his reply that he is not suggesting he gives away his holdings, but others give away theres..

and now
its been 2 seconds later, and now the OP has suddenly been hit across the head with common sense that if he is not willing to hand his holdings over, then others wont

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 03:37:24 AM

I think if you know anything about bitcoins and the crypto world, the coin was setup to collect interest on its own, here is some interesting facts that most people do not understand, By actually holding Bitcoin and not spending them, you in fact will collect "interest"  per say. the problem is the interest that was set upis not working according to plan. How BTC holder collect interest on their holding works very simply. If I get 1 BTC and I hold it and the value at the time I got my bitcoin was 30 dollars, and I do not spend it, but the value increases to 100 dollars, that is the interest that was originally set up. I thnk the original plan (as with most cryptos) is to have a holder actually hold his coins so they in a way will collect an interest, but this interest is based upon a raise in the coins value. the problem with BTC right now (and most currencies) is to many dumpers, to many children in the market who only see BTC value in a coin they are holding, to many variables coin developers can not control. the ones who need to get and hold a coin do not gt them unelss they pay for them. Faucets, giveaways, premine distribution, these things will not be taken advantage of by real investors. the people these portals attract is that 13 year old kid who has no job, has nothing but time and can do faucets over and over and over just to get enough coins to flip them for BTC to buy that new computer from dell his parents wont get him.

The interest you so demand is dwindling away with every passing day. No demand for the coin=no value increase,  no increase in value=no interest on your holdings. Your interest was based on the premise that bicoins value would continually increase with every bubble. Unfortunately this plan is backfiring as BTC picks up companies who dump the coin. Once all the coins are drained fromthe faucets the children are doin,and all the spare coin are used in the skeptics wallets you will see a drastic raise in the coins value.

What we need, we need portals to spend the coins, a demand for the coin, sites to give discounts for the use of the coin, we need a place to buy real products that everyone is already buying with fiat online. We need a whole division set up in the BTC Development that strictly spendstime on the development of the security of the coins future, something it seems the BTC developers have ignored during the development of the coin.

Without a demand our built in interest rates decline over time Sad

Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 04:08:04 AM

Why would I need to make interest on a deflationary asset?
Dedflationary assets have a de facto interest component built in implicitly

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 05:53:50 AM

By actually holding Bitcoin and not spending them, you in fact will collect "interest"  per say.
You're confusing the concepts of interest and commodity speculation.
leannemckim46

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 11:50:02 PM

Some PoS coin actually does that.

But there is little to no adoption to coin that offer interest to holders.
This is actually how PoS coins are mined. They earn "interest" when stakeholders hold their coins for a certain amount of time.

There is very little reason for anyone to ever spend their coins because it would result in them loosing out on this "interest" as a result the market caps for these scamcoins are close to none.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████