Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:04:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank's God Bitcoin will never become as useless as Namecoin is  (Read 1342 times)
CryptoBang (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 09:09:25 AM

Reply with quote  Edit message  Delete message  #1
Namecoin (NMC) was one of the first alt-coins that used the Bitcoin protocol as a way to store, secure and transmit data on a Blockchain. Users can use their namecoins to register a .bit domain name and currently, there are 114,418 .bit domains registered on the Namecoin network. They say that Namecoin does for data what Bitcoin does for money. But after all do we need data, or money?

http://www.cryptobang.com/2014/09/05/namecoin-useless-bitcoin-clone/

If you have more facts about Name coin or other coins - please send me!
crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 09:17:10 AM

never say never

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:53:07 PM

Namecoin may yet have its day in the sun, when formerly free countries start clamping down on the internet in earnest, by stealing DNS entries.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:59:31 PM

With the upcoming issues with ICANN and the domain name system, Namecoin will have its day in the sun.  As authoritarian governments take more control over the internet - and not just in their own countries, but everywhere they can - a distributed DNS will be a godsend to everyone who believes in a free internet.

If .bit was added to the root DNS system, it would, like TOR become an important part to empower individuals around the world.  Until then, it takes a little bit of work to use it.

From WSJ.com today:
Icann set up a process to hand control over to governments. Under the current "multistakeholder" system, an advisory group of governments has only as much power as other stakeholders, such as Web registries, website owners, free-speech groups and other nonprofits. But in August, Icann quietly proposed changing its bylaws to rubber-stamp government decisions unless two-thirds of the Icann board objects. In turn, Iran has proposed that the government group move to majority voting from the current consensus approach. That would enable the world's majority of authoritarian governments to rewire the Internet more to their liking.

What will this mean? Authoritarian governments could for the first time censor the Web globally, not just in their own countries. Russia could get Icann to withdraw Ukrainian sites. China could engineer the world-wide removal of sites supporting freedom for Hong Kong or Tibet. Iran could censor its critics in the U.S. Website operators could also expect new global fees and regulations.

Such a change "would fundamentally transform Icann away from being a 'bottom-up' and 'private sector-led' organization and into a governmental regulatory agency," wrote Robin Gross, a former chairman of the Icann group representing nonprofits, on the CircleID blog. "Why Icann would voluntarily choose to empower non-democratic governments with an even greater say over global Internet policies as this bylaw change would do is anyone's guess."
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 03:13:41 PM

its a good idea but it has not much support.  Cry

virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 04:32:37 PM

Another argument ------------->
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=760486

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:46:34 PM

Well, its adoption sure is laggy and may never really catch on, but the idea is great and it's at least an excellent proof of concept of a decentralized DNS system! There are a ton of more worthless coins!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Damnyo

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:54:01 PM

Lol its one of the few coins with a purpose. 99% are shit, Namecoin is legit.
Ijuuk

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 06:00:13 PM

I think Bitcoin is the only viable system right now. The other ones are plain bad.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:05:40 PM

Huh? Namecoin serves a very good purpose actually! What are other altcoins doing, huh? I really don't get the hate against Namecoin! Sure, it is still not very widely spread and may never gain big traction, but it does have an excellent purpose!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 08:09:44 PM

If you bought Namecoin with the idea of getting rich...sorry, it wasn't designed to be an alternative currency. Namecoin was meant to be a decentralized DNS service. In that respect, it seems to be successful.

If you are going to attack Namecoin, show me a better decentralized DNS service or at least show me why Namecoin fails to perform it's purpose.

I don't own any Namecoins, but after reading this dumb article, I think I will go buy a dozen and archive them.
leannemckim46

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 11:28:48 PM

Huh? Namecoin serves a very good purpose actually! What are other altcoins doing, huh? I really don't get the hate against Namecoin! Sure, it is still not very widely spread and may never gain big traction, but it does have an excellent purpose!
NMC is really the only altcoin that is not a scam coin as it actually does bring something to the table that bitcoin does not. With that being said it will likely never have very much value because it is very cheap to register a domain, and the prices for doing so will likely decline over time.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████