Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:18:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal + Bitcoin: Welcome to the promised land!  (Read 5844 times)
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:50:49 PM

People are saying this might be a fake.....  Stay tuned for the PayPal keynote in like a hour or so?

It's in Paypal's channel, plus the ad is professional, still nothing about this ad on Paypal's blog so they might be waiting for keynote to make a big announcement. Keynote in less than 40 minutes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
promojo

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:53:46 PM

People are saying this might be a fake.....  Stay tuned for the PayPal keynote in like a hour or so?

It's in Paypal's channel, plus the ad is professional, still nothing about this ad on Paypal's blog so they might be waiting for keynote to make a big announcement. Keynote in less than 40 minutes.

What is the URL for that Keynote again?  lost it.  It was on techcrunch.

EDIT:  Here it is - http://techcrunch.com/ starts at 1:15PM CST. 
Moebius327

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:56:41 PM

Well this is good I guess. Is mass adoption on it's way?
promojo

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:57:04 PM

Well this is good I guess. Is mass adoption on it's way?

Too hard to tell... most likely more user adoption and education required.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:06:00 PM

it's been almost a year of "to the moon!" without going to the moon. we've had a lot of good news and it hasn't really affected the price of bitcoin. the one time bitcoin went up a good deal was with the auction of ross ulbricht's coins, and that was inherently different from most of the good news we got this year (since it was about someone actually investing, not offering some service or acceptanceo f bitcoin). i'm going to hold my horses.

oh, and i find it strange that everyone is rejoicing when practically the entire forum here hates the living shit out of paypal.
franckuestein
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1130

Truth will out!

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 06:08:11 PM

Paypal created a video supporting Bitcoin just 4 days ago - new info, actors identified: http://nxtcoin.blogspot.com/2014/09/paypal-created-video-supporting-bitcoin.html

I'm reading the same as you  Cheesy Cheesy
Evidence is there, let's see what they say on the today's Braintree conference but I'm feeling positive!  Wink

[ AVAILABLE SIGNATURE SPACE ]
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 06:08:36 PM

if paypal  accepts bitcoin it would mean you can pay almost anywhere!
but i am afraid of fees  Undecided
Knowing Paypal, you are right to be wary of exorbitant fees. Bear in mind, however, that Paypal does and will continue to have competitors in the market. Sooner or later, this competition will ultimately force them to reduce fees or be driven out of business, just as it is forcing them to adopt Bitcoin now.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:10:31 PM

Everyone tweet the shit out of paypal & techcrunch, paypal just tweeted

We're excited to hear from our own @williamready in just a few minutes at this year's @TechCrunch
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:19:13 PM

oh, and i find it strange that everyone is rejoicing when practically the entire forum here hates the living shit out of paypal.
Mass acceptance/adoption is, generally speaking, what Bitcoin advocates want.  Everyone uses PayPal*.  Accepting Bitcoin provides legitimacy and, effectively, free advertising.  Ultimately new-to-Bitcoin PayPal users will learn that they can use Bitcoin without PayPal.

Besides, most of the PayPal horror stories involve sellers.  For consumers using PayPal, it's a different story.  So as a consumer, why not have a PayPal account with a "legit" Bitcoin wallet built in for your "legit" bitcoins?  It would be the first of its kind: a wallet seamlessly integrated almost everywhere that lets you choose between funding transactions from your bank account, debit and credit cards and Bitcoin balance.Smiley

*152 million registered users in 203 markets, at least according to PayPal.
beetcoin

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:20:35 PM

Mass acceptance/adoption is, generally speaking, what Bitcoin advocates want.  Everyone uses PayPal.  Accepting Bitcoin provides legitimacy and, effectively, free advertising.  Ultimately new-to-Bitcoin PayPal users will learn that they can use Bitcoin without PayPal.

Besides, most of the PayPal horror stories involve sellers.  For consumers using PayPal, it's a different story.  So as a consumer, why not have a PayPal account with a "legit" Bitcoin wallet built in for your "legit" bitcoins?  It would be the first of its kind: a wallet seamlessly integrated almost everywhere that lets you choose between funding transactions from your bank account, debit and credit cards and Bitcoin balance.Smiley

what the majority of bitcoin holders want is "to the moon," and if it that means that bitcoin will be massively adopted, then okay. but to be more realistic, it's not about the acceptance of bitcoin (its utility), but it's more about the supply/demand side that affects the price. the guy who bought the SR auctioned coins invested at least $20 million into bitcoin, and it drove the price up to 6 month highs.

when merchants like dell/newegg/tigerdirect/overstock announced they were to accept bitcoin, the price never really went anywhere. to me, paypal supporting bitcoin is more in line with dell/newegg/tigerdirect/overstock than it is of some dude dropping $20 million on bitcoin.
promojo

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:22:21 PM

This looks like Braintree news.. Nothing in relation to PayPal/eBay.  This will allow merchants to accept Bitcoin payments via their mobile app..... FYI - let's not get too excited about this.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:24:25 PM

Mass acceptance/adoption is, generally speaking, what Bitcoin advocates want.  Everyone uses PayPal.  Accepting Bitcoin provides legitimacy and, effectively, free advertising.  Ultimately new-to-Bitcoin PayPal users will learn that they can use Bitcoin without PayPal.

Besides, most of the PayPal horror stories involve sellers.  For consumers using PayPal, it's a different story.  So as a consumer, why not have a PayPal account with a "legit" Bitcoin wallet built in for your "legit" bitcoins?  It would be the first of its kind: a wallet seamlessly integrated almost everywhere that lets you choose between funding transactions from your bank account, debit and credit cards and Bitcoin balance.Smiley

Exactly, Network Effect, value increases if userbase increases, and we also like speculative bubbles. Smiley

beetcoin

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:26:39 PM

Mass acceptance/adoption is, generally speaking, what Bitcoin advocates want.  Everyone uses PayPal.  Accepting Bitcoin provides legitimacy and, effectively, free advertising.  Ultimately new-to-Bitcoin PayPal users will learn that they can use Bitcoin without PayPal.

Besides, most of the PayPal horror stories involve sellers.  For consumers using PayPal, it's a different story.  So as a consumer, why not have a PayPal account with a "legit" Bitcoin wallet built in for your "legit" bitcoins?  It would be the first of its kind: a wallet seamlessly integrated almost everywhere that lets you choose between funding transactions from your bank account, debit and credit cards and Bitcoin balance.Smiley

Exactly, Network Effect, value increases if userbase increases, and we also like speculative bubbles. Smiley

we've had at least 5 major corporations that have begun to accept bitcoin this year.. and where has the price gone? for me, i think the real moon lies with the ETF.. that's when billions of new money will come flowing it. with guys like paypal/newegg/dell/overstock and the like, they only make bitcoin move around the blockchain more, which ends up back at the exchanges and lowers the price.
promojo

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:28:39 PM

we've had at least 5 major corporations that have begun to accept bitcoin this year.. and where has the price gone? for me, i think the real moon lies with the ETF.. that's when billions of new money will come flowing it. with guys like paypal/newegg/dell/overstock and the like, they only make bitcoin move around the blockchain more, which ends up back at the exchanges and lowers the price.

I think you nailed it right there.
dagi

Activity: 374

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 06:30:08 PM

that's great news!  Cool

TO THE MOON!
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:30:51 PM

Even if they do start accepting it I cannot bring myself to trust paypal. They are a bit of a poster child for the problems with the current system. For my business the core QT wallet and keeping an amount equal to my inventory in escrow gets the job done just fine.

Mowcore

Activity: 592
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:31:28 PM

As much as I hate Paypal, , I wouldn't include them in that list you just beefed out. The others are retailers, Paypal is a (horrible) payment processor.

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:34:36 PM

Speculative bubble price correction, if late 2013 bubble hadn't happened you would just see price increasing slowly over time.

Nabu

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:39:41 PM

i think paypal just tease of you guys. and you have taken the bait.

is the bitcoin a trademark? or just a word? who did buy the trademark from mt.gox? how they going to use it?
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:47:50 PM

Ok, starting now, let's see if this guy says something about bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: