Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:41:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BREAKING: PAY PAL INTEGRATES BITCOIN  (Read 11266 times)
hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 06:56:41 PM

Are you guys watching this!?

http://techcrunch.com/events/disrupt-sf-2014/live-video/

PayPal officially integrates Bitcoin.

"Paypal's first foray into Bitcoin... via the Braintree platform ... which is Paypal's primary development group" (paraphrased as best I can remember him saying)

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:57:46 PM

yeah well, that basically means coinbase got themselves a huge exposure to paypal merchants. nice moving there.

i am satoshi
jerk

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:58:16 PM

"Paypal's first foray into Bitcoin... via the Braintree platform ... which is Paypal's primary development group" (paraphrased as best I can remember him saying)

He also stated this was because of demand they were hearing from their customers! I guess there is some interest in Bitcoin! Smiley
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:59:12 PM

He also stated this was because of demand they were hearing from their customers! I guess there is some interest in Bitcoin! Smiley

No there isn't! Where the heck is Faillllling?  Grin

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176

Borsche

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:59:30 PM

their customers being merchants like airbnb Wink

i am satoshi
jerk

Activity: 57

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:02:50 PM

Falllling fell off his chair he won't be able to reach his keyboard for awhile.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:03:25 PM

Buying Bitcoin.
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:09:07 PM

This wont cause an immediate moon shot, but it will keep confidence high when new money does arrive such as after the ETFs.  All the new merchants announcing bitcoin integration via braintree will increase the general public's exposure to bitcoin and which will help build trust in the currency.  As we know merchant adoption has the fairly minor side-effect creating some downward pressure on the price, but overall this is a vital piece of the puzzle and very bullish news for 2015.
Probability

Activity: 8

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:12:56 PM

itshappening.gif
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:16:08 PM

This wont cause an immediate moon shot, but it will keep confidence high when new money does arrive such as after the ETFs.  All the new merchants announcing bitcoin integration via braintree will increase the general public's exposure to bitcoin and which will help build trust in the currency.  As we know merchant adoption has the fairly minor side-effect creating some downward pressure on the price, but overall this is a vital piece of the puzzle and very bullish news for 2015.

Everyone shouldn't just be waiting for ETFs. The only true ETF under preparation (the SecondMarket one will be OTC so not an ETF by definition) might take longer than a lot of people expect. Of course it can also be faster, but I think there's plenty of reason for the price to be a lot higher than it is now WITHOUT an ETF.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:18:18 PM

People seem to have literally followed the adage of "buy the rumor and sell the news" on this one...
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:27:48 PM

Everyone shouldn't just be waiting for ETFs. The only true ETF under preparation (the SecondMarket one will be OTC so not an ETF by definition) might take longer than a lot of people expect. Of course it can also be faster, but I think there's plenty of reason for the price to be a lot higher than it is now WITHOUT an ETF.

I'm definitely not waiting for an ETF, but when an ETF launches, it will open investment in bitcoin to a new world of financial tools. I just think that this kind of integration before an ETF launch is a recipe for continued exponential growth. Increasing exposure and integration of the protocol on this scale makes investment in the asset seem less risky when the investment product is released.

And as others said in the Wall Observer thread, if Apple wants to be competitive in the payments space, they will have to integrate as well.
hd060053

Activity: 601
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:48:00 PM

does it mean, paypal will dump all BTC ? like all the other big companies in the last months. Will price keep going down ?

This news in November last year would have shot the price to 3k. But the situation has changed i think.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:57:45 PM

Speaking of Peter Thiel, I found this interesting (from Wikipedia):

According to Eric Jackson's account of PayPal in his book The PayPal Wars, Thiel viewed PayPal's mission as liberating people throughout the world from the erosion of the value of their currencies due to inflation. Jackson recalls an inspirational speech by Thiel in 1999:
"We're definitely onto something big. The need PayPal answers is monumental. Everyone in the world needs money – to get paid, to trade, to live. Paper money is an ancient technology and an inconvenient means of payment. You can run out of it. It wears out. It can get lost or stolen. In the twenty-first century, people need a form of money that's more convenient and secure, something that can be accessed from anywhere with a PDA or an Internet connection. Of course, what we're calling 'convenient' for American users will be revolutionary for the developing world. Many of these countries' governments play fast and loose with their currencies," the former derivatives trader [referring to Thiel] noted, before continuing, "They use inflation and sometimes wholesale currency devaluations, like we saw in Russia and several Southeast Asian countries last year [referring to the 1998 Russian financial crisis and 1997 Asian financial crisis], to take wealth away from their citizens. Most of the ordinary people there never have an opportunity to open an offshore account or to get their hands on more than a few bills of a stable currency like U.S. dollars. Eventually PayPal will be able to change this. In the future, when we make our service available outside the U.S. and as Internet penetration continues to expand to all economic tiers of people, PayPal will give citizens worldwide more direct control over their currencies than they ever had before. It will be nearly impossible for corrupt governments to steal wealth from their people through their old means because if they try the people will switch to dollars or Pounds or Yen, in effect dumping the worthless local currency for something more secure."
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 08:04:34 PM

does it mean, paypal will dump all BTC ? like all the other big companies in the last months. Will price keep going down ?

This news in November last year would have shot the price to 3k. But the situation has changed i think.

More adoption means an higher price in the long term, I don't think that if more big companies will join, the value will continue to drop forever.
Sampey
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 08:10:23 PM

In the future there won't be any advantage in selling BTC for big company  Wink
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3860

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 08:21:44 PM

In the future there won't be any advantage in selling BTC for big company  Wink

Apart from usage increase, i don't think that it is very important.

Ebay& paypal still have their ridiculous "return it if this is your whim" policy.
It does not really matter if you got BTC or $$ if you have to refund some doubtful characters (especially when it concerns btc mining equipment).
gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 08:42:36 PM

wait till it's official and truly functional ......

we have been hearing this rumor all along for ages.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 08:45:06 PM

This is great news! Time to buy more i guess : )
antibitcoinconsortium

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 08:53:06 PM

yall may think this is a good thing
IT IS NOT
this will be worse for the bitcoin price than alread the bad things happening!
it will even go faster down now!
dont be a bag holder!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: