Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:00:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [idea] promotion of bitcoin as normal daily solution  (Read 1803 times)
PawShaker (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 03:35:16 AM

I see a need for positive publicity campaign for bitcoin. Currently we cannot afford a massive main media campaign, however, bitcoin community is well equipped to launch a successful social media campaign.

The aim would be to produce visually appealing short movies promoting bitcoin usage in everyday life. I propose following script and invite evetybody to comment, improve, and colaborate.

• Scene: A stereotypical suburban young couple (in their 30s) bid morning goodbye, he is departing to work. They kiss and he reminds her to remember about travel agent.
    Aim: to establish a setting to which everyone can relate to, a lot of people either are in stable relationship or they grew up in stable relationship. (I know that feminists will want to eat me alive, but we are reaching to wide audience, so use of some stereotyping simplifications is necessary.)
  • Scene: He pays for his morning coffee with bitcoins.
    Aim: to promote small bitcoin payments.
  • Scene: She is shopping in supermarket, pays at checkout.
    Aim: to to show normality and dailiness of bitcoin payments.
  • Scene: When she exits store she passes a beggar with QR printed on a cardboard.
    Aim: to show low entry threshold in adopting bitcoin currency.
  • Scene: He is ordering online items for his work. Pays with bitcoin. Items are packed by asians and loaded onto airplane.
    Aim: to show global and international reach of bitcoin trade. (Again some people will yell at use of racial stereotypes, however, how better to convey global reach than to show business transactions conducted by visually diverse people.)
  • Scene: She goes to travel agent looks at the offer. Calls her husband. He walks to safe in his office gets out a memory card (SD or USB). Next he types a password. She receives funds on her smartphone. He locks memory card in the safe.
    Aim: you can employ protection as you consider appropriate for your purposes.
  • Scene: She is entering tattoo parlor, suspense/mystery music.
    Aim: to pave ground for the conclusion, music is to emphasize the scene for later recall.
  • Scene: He exits work and goes to his parked car. Behind wiper he finds a leaflet with icon of Guy mask, prominent title “Support WikiLeaks” and QR code. He drives on a highway and listens to a sonG with lyrics: BigBrother cannot watch you.
    Aim: to present anonymity in transactions and stress legitimate need for such anonymity.
  • Scene: She is sending rest of the money back to the savings account. It occurs while memory card with wallet private key is in safe.
    Aim: to emphasize ease of common sense protection of your funds.
  • Scene: They meet at the airport. An airplane takes off. Cut to the beach scene. She is unzipping front of her blouse. Camera closes on zipper and does not show breasts but shows naked area between them where bitcoin emblem is tattooed.
    Aim: A bit of comic relief and promoting positive association with bitcoin. (I know that it sexist, but it is not my fault that sex sells.)

1FQkH63k6hkexFMTRzLtJEE6ZAaTBRhjiS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 03:38:00 AM

I like where you are going with this just thinking here....

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 03:51:33 AM

Good but it needs a huge robot spider and some explosions. Only half-joking.

What do you need to accomplish this? I know some are interested in innovative videos for Bitcoin.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 06:58:34 AM

I think we need a video that makes Bitcoin cool. Something like if Bond used Bitcoins.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
PawShaker (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 12:58:36 PM

I hate it. Cheesy (I heard that brutal honesty is better than a backhanded "I like it, BUT....")

It basically sounds like an infomercial wrapped up in a soap opera, while being played at "2am" on a longhaul flight.

You need character development. Who are these people? Maybe the guy is a closet gay? Could his wife be a high-functioning bulimic?

And you need stories. What else are they doing apart from noticing Bitcoin everywhere?

Making the characters complex means that my second point is 3/4 done anyway. For example, if the guy is a closet gay
[...]

Thanks for your honesty. However, it was supposed to be a commercial. And the whole point of it was to implant in public an idea that bitcoins are for TOTALLY NORMAL (uncomplex) human beings.

From the moment I started to learn about bitcoin I realised that whenever it is mentioned in press it is associated with drug or arm trade. There are hardly any positive associations for bitcoin in media.

However, I take on board your feedback that script is not stimulating (interesting) enough.

coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:24:03 PM

Who uses travel agents?  I thought they were also replaced by a disruptive technology.

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:58:18 PM

(I know that feminists will want to eat me alive
That make me think: where are females in bitcoin? like what, 90%? 95%? are males here. Why girls aren't here? Why they don't develop things for bitcoin? Maybe they are too busy being feminist that they have no time to do "real" work? And maybe later they will be "bawwwhh men get higher bitcoin earning than women, why? Aren't we equal?"
Yes they probably will want to eat you alive, but doing real work? Never!

artisbigshirts

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

dwda

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 02:04:06 PM

I've personally been trying to think up some media campaigns towards getting global acceptance to using bitcoins as well.
However, I believe that the video approach your trying to take requires further bitcoin development and adoption first.
Things like wallet security can get pretty technical and real-world shops really don't have enough advantages to accept bitcoins.

Maybe the focus of campaigns right now should be targeted more towards business people, professionals, and the hobbiest who remain untapped.
Having a focus more on the cryptocurrency aspect of bitcoins, rather than just the bitcoins themselves may allow people to warm up easier.
Then it wouldn't be like you're selling the product that is bitcoins but the idea of this new type of currency.

//Kevin Risinger;
//Graphic Design;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30623.0

//Donation Address;
1GgFzhP2ef
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 03:23:21 PM

Don't forget that Bitcoin can be theft-proof. Pick-pockets, muggers, even schoolyard bullies won't be able to steal your lunch money. I can see Bitcoin as being a way for parents to control their children's money and only spend it at approved places with form of debit card that requires 2 of 3 signatures.

The problem with projecting the idea about using Bitcoin for everyday things, is that those things haven't been invented yet. Things like texting didn't exist before cell phones. You need to think way ahead.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 03:39:29 PM

Scene: She is shopping in supermarket, pays at checkout.

The clock ticking in the background,
Old school analog calendar shows a date, and it changes 
She is still downloading a 1.6 GB blockchain ... Tick tock... Tick tock...
Scene: she hides when she sees the security guard and makes another sandwich from the bread and salami in her shopping cart, she will pay for it all... if

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 03:58:56 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2012, 05:55:17 PM by conspirosphere.tk

My idea is to make a tutorial to print your BTC notes/cheques, since ppl is too accustomed to paper monies.
The only trick to be found is a DIY equivalent for the Casascius holograms, i.e. a way to keep hidden the private key which cannot be easily reversed. Maybe a wax seal? (lol)
On a second thought, just instructing them to not show the private key until they have decided to spend the note may be enough, if
they print some blockchain.info or Strongcoin wallets in small amounts, e.g. 0.1 BTC each.

edit: I catch the chance to propose a contest for BTC notes design. How about it?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 05:45:28 PM

You don't need a sticker. Just make each check an escrow that requires a separate key.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 05:23:19 AM

I'm sorry I'm going to do this but this thread got a little OT anyway and it is relevant...i.e. pretty familiar to people.  How about we rewrite the Slap Chop script about Bitcoin?

hi it's vince with slap chop

you're gonna be in a great mood all day because you're gonna be slappin your troubles away with the slap chop

now look here's a potato, one chop you got big chunks for stews

two slaps home fries in a second

you add a mushroom the more you do it the finer it gets you don't have to switch any blades

you love salad you hate making it

take the stringy celery take the carrots salad!

i love pizza too but once in a while get the veggies in.

at least throw it on top of the pizza

this tuna looks boring

stop having a boring tuna stop having a boring life

here's a hardboiled egg one chop you add teh pickle you add the green onion

and what you can do, you can mix things together, you can add the ham

you don't have time to make breakfast

you're going to have an exciting life now

you got breakfast to go

you're gonna love my nuts watch this

i got everything in the cover it's so easy kids can do it

they're gonna charge you a dollar for toppings at the ice cream stores

what about fruit? look at that isn't that beautiful on your ice cream

they're so easy to clean 1 2 and pops open like that like a butterfly to clean

now these other ones that you seen in the store you can't clean it doesn't open up

bacteria gets in your food  you don't want bacteria in your food right guys?

take this slap chop onion with the skin alright this is making you cry making me cry

life's hard enough as it is you don't want to cry any more

the skin's at the bottom

hey look at this you want a little bit of onions you don't want to drag out the food processor

the skin comes right off

we're gonna make america skinny again one slap at a time

when you buy the slap chop we're gonna give you the graty for cheese

white cheese yellow cheese in the container comes with a twister

and watch this tacos fettucini linguini martini bikini

comes iwith two blades just bang it

fine and course parmesean comes with a cover stays sealed

put it in the fridge take it out when you need it

the slap chop sells for $19.95 and we're gonna give you the graty for free

but if you call now within the next 20 minutes because we can't do this all day

we'll double the offer just pay separate shipping and handling

that's two sets for $19.95 here's how to order
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 01:50:27 PM

What is the point of this thread? Give me one good reason why Joe Blow would use Bitcoin as a normal daily solution instead of fiat money. Beggars don't tend to have smart phone plans and Mr. Blow doesn't care about wikileaks.

PawShaker (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 07:48:32 PM

What is the point of this thread? Give me one good reason why Joe Blow would use Bitcoin as a normal daily solution instead of fiat money. Beggars don't tend to have smart phone plans and Mr. Blow doesn't care about wikileaks.

The first good reason to use bitcoin instead of credit card is 2% credit card company is charging. Taking into account the amount of credit card use it is like 2% tax. of course, handling cash has its costs as well, you need ATMs, cash registers with time delay locks, and armed transports back to bank.

Think how much a large supermarket is selling in one day. Then calculate 2%. Is it a reason to get rid of credit card company?

And about beggars. You will be surprised how many of them have old phones with prepaid SIM. In just two years "rich" people will be going off their plans and will upgrade their phones. The handsets will be sold to lower tier of society. In four they will be in beggar's pockets.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 08:32:19 PM

I really don't think that 2% is much or a reason to switch. What is a grocery store going to do with Bitcoin? Sure, they can exchange it for cash, but they will pay exchange fees. Additionally, it's not much but both the transaction to the grocery store and the exchange will also require transaction fees. I expect that if the credit card companies wanted to, they could lower their fees as low or lower than the cost of using Bitcoin. Credit card companies have many revenue streams besides transaction fees. If you expect everyone to magically switch to Bitcoin, then ok you win.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 09:25:15 PM

Maybe my earlier ideas were a bit silly because they would simply take too long. The audience that most needs to be reached, would switch off long before we got anywhere. How about:
  • Scene: inside a dark and foreboding Gotham City-like back alley of Wall Street (cue: wind noise and/or thunder), a crooked banking CEO sits in an office behind a large oak desk. There are piles of cash all around, and gold bullion bars are used as paperweights to stop the notes from fluttering around. He is holding a calculator in one hand, and calculating out loud how many millions of dollars of profit his credit card company made that month.
  • The scene cuts to a short, sharp message that promotes Bitcoin: "Fight evil. Start using Bitcoin."
Now your talking.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: