Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:25:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the difference between Offline & Online wallets ?  (Read 3576 times)
Madness (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 03:33:10 PM

as the title says , I would like to know What's the difference between Offline & Online wallets ?
and can you list some of each ?
Thank you guys .

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 03:37:35 PM

All depends on what you use.  Some online have 2 factor authentication, insured, list goes on.  But also they are online which is far different then cold storage.

The client for bitcoin takes a LONG time normally to download the chain and get up to date.  You can use a wallet without it and be able to send/recieve much quicker.

If much money i suggest looking into cold storage.
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 03:44:09 PM

I'am using Multibit , this will do the job ? and I will be able to receive money & send quickly ? thanks mate .

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:26:02 PM

The definitions of "online wallet" and "offline wallet" are confused. They mean different things to different people.

Generally, "offline wallet" means the same as "cold storage", or a wallet that is not connected to the internet. Some people use the term to mean a wallet that runs directly on a device -- phone, tablet, computer, etc.

Then you would expect that "online wallet" means a wallet that is connected to the internet -- the same as a "hot wallet", but that's not how most people use the term. Generally, when people refer to an "online wallet", they mean a wallet that is accessed through a web site, and sometimes more specifically an account at a web site that is not really a wallet. This may also be called "web wallet" or "hosted wallet".

I try to avoid using the terms "online" and "offline" because of the confusion.

Cold storage is the safest because someone needs physical access to the wallet to steal the bitcoins. Holding bitcoins in an account on a web site is generally unsafe. Bitcoins in accounts are easily and frequently stolen.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Abdullah001

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:28:27 PM

Online wallets means online base wallet and offline wallet means the wallet you install on your PC.
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 04:29:46 PM

Alright I see , so Multibit is a Offline wallet , I will stick with it . thank you guys

Yeni78

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 05:56:31 AM

Alright I see , so Multibit is a Offline wallet , I will stick with it . thank you guys

Multibit is a desktop based wallet. Your wallet and keys is store in your pc while online wallets like blockchain your keys and wallet is stored online.
BitcoinBadger

Activity: 111

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 10:50:32 AM

Online wallet is not secure if you don't set up all security futures and offline wallet is 100 procent secure if you don't download any viruses or keyloggers to your computer. I would suggest using online wallet for everyday use because you don't have to update your blockchain each time which takes a while but mainly use desktop wallet for your main funds or even cold wallet.
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 11:29:24 AM

as the title says , I would like to know What's the difference between Offline & Online wallets ?
and can you list some of each ?
Thank you guys .

There are 3 different kinds of wallets:

• wallets that are running on a website.  (online)
  • wallets that run on your computer  (offline)  
  • wallets that are not connected to the internet or even inside a computer, public and private key on paper.  (cold storage)

With bitcoin, data is money. So you have to pick the right way to protect your data.
You can see an overview of wallets here:  https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
This is my general experience:

wallets that are running on a website.
The website has ownership of your wallet. "Similar to online banking."  
Advantage:  Easy to access from anywhere in the world. The wallet client allows you to do direct transactions on the bitcoin network.
Disadvantage: The website could potentially get hacked or the owner could run off with your money.  You have to trust the intermediary.

wallets that run on your computer  (offline)
The data on your hard drive is now worth money.
Advantages:  Always in control of your money (computer). The wallet client allows you to do direct transactions on the bitcoin network. No need to trust intermediary, only your computer.
Disadvantages:  Your hard drive could crash (you need backups), your computer could get a virus if you do not secure it or someone could steal your computer.  

wallets that run on papyrus  (offline)
Since your keys are on paper, nobody on the internet can potentially steal them.
Advantages:  Even in 5 years you still have your wallets BTC secure. No intermediary, only trust you don't forget where you left the paper.
Disadvantages:  Unless you spill coffee on them  Smiley

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 02:11:14 PM

I think OP really meant Hot and Cold wallets.

Simple 2 cent answer.  Hot wallet is on a mobile device like a phone, Trezor, tablet, laptop or web wallet like Blockchain etc. that's always connected online.

Cold wallet can be a printed paper wallet, physical bitcoin, USB key, or hard drive not connected online.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
jazzhot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:28:17 PM

My advice on offline wallets is to use Electrum because it's user friendly and secure, I use it for everyday transactions.
TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:37:37 PM

Refers to location of the private keys which signifies control of the assets
Offline is much riskier but also easier to spend from

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 03:56:55 PM

Multibit will do the job. If you want most secure wallet, you can use Armory but it will take some time to download whole blockchain(~<30 GB). Web-based wallets are not much secure. One of the oldest and the best online wallet is blockchain.info wallet. They have good features. I suggest you to stick with Multibit and also try to install an antivirus such as avast(freeware) or kaspersky. There are many trojans, malware and adwares which will steal your BTC mostly by stealing your private key.

~~MZ~~

dKingston

Activity: 482

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 04:13:51 PM

Online wallets means that it's connected to the internet or rather it's accessed only through a web site and offline wallet means the wallet you install on your PC. Obviously having bitcoins in an account on a web site is enough dangerous and you need you need to give attention.

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:20:17 PM

If your wallet is on your PC and your PC is online, then your wallet is online. Just ask any hacker.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
gelar24

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:20:37 PM

My advice on offline wallets is to use Electrum because it's user friendly and secure, I use it for everyday transactions.

if there is no fee? or no fee but can be set by us if you use offline wallets?
homm88

Activity: 70

BTC/Doge

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:46:17 AM

I'm while using the offline wallet, simply for the 'savings' as some sort of cold wallet. A few other online wallets I prefer on more day after day.

There is absolutely no real among the online and offline variant, except the offline variant are at version .2.48 and can need to have a fresh fork with the online options.
Hegemon

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:29:16 PM

is it possible to set an online btc deposit address in a .bat file for solo mining please ?

or wich websites allow this please ?

just want to run a little usb device to play btc lottery and don't have 20Go on my harddisk for offline wallet.
Loophole

Activity: 619

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:42:36 PM

is it possible to set an online btc deposit address in a .bat file for solo mining please ?

or wich websites allow this please ?

just want to run a little usb device to play btc lottery and don't have 20Go on my harddisk for offline wallet.

Why don't you use a thin client like Electrum then?
You won't need to keep the 24 GB blockchain files on your device.

Hegemon

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:47:05 PM

Why don't you use a thin client like Electrum then?
You won't need to keep the 24 GB blockchain files on your device.

because I never heard about it  Grin
going to check, if you have a link I take it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: