Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:09:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: downloaded BitCoin Core few days back, still downloading blocks. very slow  (Read 1196 times)
HiSoC8Y (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:34:27 PM

hi

Is this normal? I started downloading, and my pc is almost connected 24/7 and still 1 year and 33 weeks left. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spiceminer15

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:39:02 PM

its very slow and gets corrupted constantly. if you check out the debug window you'll probably see that your blocks are no longer increasing. if you shut it off and start it again it'll start again for a while
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:43:51 PM

your not connected to enough nodes
(think about it like torrents, if your only connected to 2 seeds you wont get alot of speed)

restart client or/and try adding some supernodes.

also i hope you got bitcoin-core from bitcoin.org and no other source as theirs rumours of altcoins pretending to be the legit bitcoin client which might be another reason

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
spiceminer15

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:47:02 PM

(think about it like torrents, if your only connected to 2 seeds you wont get alot of speed)

also i hope you got bitcoin-core from bitcoin.org and no other source as theirs rumours of altcoins pretending to be the legit bitcoin client which might be another reason

can you change how many nodes it connects to? it only ever says 8 for me
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 04:51:49 PM

Sadly thats not true. There is only one "sync" peer.

You can set maxconnections to a higher value in the config [1] and open port 8333 in your firewall, but this will not speed up the sync. Its probably best if you use the latest bootstrap.dat torrent [2], since thats actually working with bittorrent. I recently downloaded it within a few hours.

Edit the rest of the way has to be done via the client, but that should not take long.

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Bitcoin.conf_Configuration_File
[2] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:55:20 PM

You can set maxconnections to a higher value in the config [1] and open port 8333 in your firewall, but this will not speed up the sync. Its probably best if you use the latest bootstrap.dat torrent [2], since thats actually working with bittorrent. I recently downloaded it within a few hours.

Edit the rest of the way has to be done via the client, but that should not take long.

Yes, but the best way would be by downloading bootstrap.dat and using it, or using a LightWeight Client such as Electrum.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:55:50 PM

No matter how many nodes you are connected to you'll only ever download from one. If you think that one is slow, close Core, delete peers.dat in the data directory and try anew. Or if you know a fast node you can use the connect= command. For example 84.200.34.113:8333. I'm sure zvs will be present shortly with some more IPs you can try. Smiley

Edit: It also depends on your hardware's capabilities how long it will take to validate the block chain.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 04:59:38 PM

Yes, but the best way would be by downloading bootstrap.dat and using it, or using a LightWeight Client such as Electrum.

Please read again, slowly. I marked the crucial part for you. Wink

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 05:05:30 PM

Please read again, slowly. I marked the crucial part for you. Wink

Yeah, but opening ports and setting stuff is just too much hassle. Electrum FTW.
Just saying my opinion.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 07:32:34 PM

There is a torrent of the blockchain you can download. It is called the "bootstrap.dat":
https://bitcoin.org/en/download

I am not sure how old this bootstrap.dat is, but should be newer than 1 year and 33 weeks.  Grin
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 08:18:48 PM

Yeah, but opening ports and setting stuff is just too much hassle. Electrum FTW.
Just saying my opinion.

For people who would prefer a full node, but don't want to go through the extra hassle, you might want to consider Armory. It will help you download and install Bitcoin Core (which is required for Armory), and it will automatically download a bootstrap.dat (via its own built-in BitTorrent client). You could even uninstall Armory after this initial process completes if Armory seems too complex, and still be left with Bitcoin Core installed and synced.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 01:08:28 AM

No matter how many nodes you are connected to you'll only ever download from one. If you think that one is slow, close Core, delete peers.dat in the data directory and try anew. Or if you know a fast node you can use the connect= command. For example 84.200.34.113:8333. I'm sure zvs will be present shortly with some more IPs you can try. Smiley

Edit: It also depends on your hardware's capabilities how long it will take to validate the block chain.

Haha  Grin

I'll just say that it's faster connecting to 1 peer, not 20 or 30.  Just choose the right peer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: