Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 10:03:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS-oriented Treasure Hunt coin  (Read 1497 times)
bradfrogger (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 01:09:47 AM

I am looking for a developer who can help me create a new Treasure Hunt coin. Apps for iPhone and Android will be necessary for this GPS-oriented coin where amounts of coin will be randomly generated based upon location when a player searches. These randomly generated coins will have to come from a "pre-mine". There will be actual mining as well for those who prefer POW. Please send me a PM if you are interested.
CryptoClubber

Activity: 664
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 12:31:47 PM

CryptoClub would be glad to be part of this project

MEED

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 12:45:24 PM

CheckCoin seem to do just about that. you might wanna check it out
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 04:38:29 PM

I like this idea, this may be the solution to human mineable crypto.

Here are my ideas around this.

PoW does two things. First it gives the miners a small amount of coins, lets say 1 or 2 per block. Just to keep the mining incentive going. Each generated block randomly drops a cache of coins somewhere in the world using GPS co-ordinates.

The cell phone apps reward the user with these coins when they get close enough to those GPS co-ordinates.

Sure, most of the coins will be placed in the oceans, so what. So long as everyone knows where the coin caches are they are welcome to travel there to claim them.

The only hurdle is preventing cheating using a hacked GPS system. Maybe cryptography can be used in some way to prevent this. I don't know.

thrax

Activity: 253
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 05:42:11 PM

GeoCoin is implementing a similar idea to yours.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=609055.0
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 06:13:29 PM

Seems like another gimmick coin like CheckCoin...
That "sounds" interesting and innovative...
But once it gets off the ground after a few months you realize it's pointless.

People are not gonna travel and burn time and fuel for a few obscure alts...
The devs must think the whole world is 16-18 yo... or unemployed Dutch slackers. 

This reminds me of CLAM which was distributed to previous BTC, LTC, DOGE owners via blockchain analysis...
But only 1% were claimed... and the coin is flat as a pancake... and what was the point?

Maybe these guys should meet someone who actually runs a business...
As opposed to hipsters who flush money down BTC ATMs for a 10% fee.
bradfrogger (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:31:21 PM

Just checking back in on this. Great ideas from those who replied. I need to start mapping this out in more detail.
bradfrogger (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2014, 12:30:16 AM by bradfrogger

Seems like another gimmick coin like CheckCoin...
That "sounds" interesting and innovative...
But once it gets off the ground after a few months you realize it's pointless.

People are not gonna travel and burn time and fuel for a few obscure alts...
The devs must think the whole world is 16-18 yo... or unemployed Dutch slackers.  

This reminds me of CLAM which was distributed to previous BTC, LTC, DOGE owners via blockchain analysis...
But only 1% were claimed... and the coin is flat as a pancake... and what was the point?

Maybe these guys should meet someone who actually runs a business...
As opposed to hipsters who flush money down BTC ATMs for a 10% fee.

Pretty negative response, but I appreciate the reply nevertheless. This idea may not gel at all, only time will tell.

Actually, people DO travel locally day to day and also take vacations or travel more for business/work, so there will be plenty of opportunity to grab locale-specific coins. Are most devs 16-18 yo's? I am not a dev and do not know, but as an example of myself, I am not unemployed or a slacker. I work full time and have kids, but I still find time to play Ingress. I will take a look at CheckCoin, as I would never want to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
bradfrogger (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:44:54 PM

Thanks. Just got up to speed on the link you provided, which led me to an even earlier, similar coin.  https://andarazoroflove.org/code/geocoin/
bradfrogger (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:51:04 PM

I like this idea, this may be the solution to human mineable crypto.

Here are my ideas around this.

PoW does two things. First it gives the miners a small amount of coins, lets say 1 or 2 per block. Just to keep the mining incentive going. Each generated block randomly drops a cache of coins somewhere in the world using GPS co-ordinates.

The cell phone apps reward the user with these coins when they get close enough to those GPS co-ordinates.

Sure, most of the coins will be placed in the oceans, so what. So long as everyone knows where the coin caches are they are welcome to travel there to claim them.

The only hurdle is preventing cheating using a hacked GPS system. Maybe cryptography can be used in some way to prevent this. I don't know.

I really like the POW with a small portion of the coins per block making up the random caches, as this removes the need for a pre-mine that most miners and coin investors see in a negative light. I agree that the GPS system would be a huge hurdle, and there should be a workaround to keep the random placement out of the oceans.   Smiley
bradfrogger (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:56:34 PM

CryptoClub would be glad to be part of this project

Thanks for the interest. I will PM you if the idea starts to pan out.
bradfrogger (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 06:07:39 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2014, 04:48:52 PM by bradfrogger

Thanks. Just got up to speed on the link you provided, which led me to an even earlier, similar coin.  https://andarazoroflove.org/code/geocoin/

Tried to get Geocoin to sync, but no luck.. that one appears to be dead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: