Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:18:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So, I work right below the "poverty line".  (Read 1610 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 12:00:54 PM

$1,200 a month at 40 hours a week.

If I were to stop enjoying the company of my parents and go to my Airstream trailer on 2 acres of land with some chickens, would I suddenly turn into a victimized and oppressed liberal yelling for entitlements?

I am genuinely curious.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 03:40:34 PM

Assume you can no longer live with your parents (as if they kicked you out, moved to Ecuador, or something). Then do indeed go live in an Airstream trailer on two acres of land in the desert, complete with chickens pecking on the ground, and find out the answer to your question. Please report back.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 04:58:00 PM

Assume you can no longer live with your parents (as if they kicked you out, moved to Ecuador, or something). Then do indeed go live in an Airstream trailer on two acres of land in the desert, complete with chickens pecking on the ground, and find out the answer to your question. Please report back.

Yep. Just do the experiment.

I think the answer is no. It is actually not hard living on $1k /month as long as you have no debt, family, or emergency expenses to pay for. It is basically the college student life.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 09:53:00 PM

Oooh... an Airstream.  That's highfalutin'.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 02:06:26 AM

Do you live in Alaska?

General US poverty line for 1 person - $10,890 (for 2011, so probably $11,200 in 2012)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_the_United_States

$1200/month = $14400 (or 28% over the poverty line)

The poverty line is of course way too low and illogically based (doesn't take into account rising cost of rent and healthcare) and it is hard to live at that level unless you are single, young, super-healthy, and very cheap.

Though I managed to fit those conditions and do fine for a couple years and live below the official poverty line.

What is horribly sad is that 22% or more of children are living below the official poverty line in the US.  In Norway I think it is more like 3% of the children.

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 02:43:14 AM

The worldwide poverty line is set at $1.25/day. I'd say you are more than rich.

Now go lament yourself to the social security office, they are the right persons to help you.
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 04:01:52 AM

If I were to stop enjoying the company of my parents and go to my Airstream trailer on 2 acres of land with some chickens, would I suddenly turn into a victimized and oppressed liberal yelling for entitlements?

I hope so. I can't believe proud Americans would let some hard-working patriot get his work completely devalued by a rigged free market.  Wink

Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 04:51:17 AM

I am genuinely curious.

You genuinely need to suck off a shotgun.

Can't you get an employee discount on one? A simple single shot 12 gauge would do the trick fine, and if you used a blank it would still do the job and you might get your picture in the Journal of Forensic Medicine, right in the hilarious inflated clown heads section Grin

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
zenaryshort21

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:06:14 AM

Most Americans will spend at least one year below the poverty line. However, poverty is something that many of us know is there, but were not even realizing how big of a problem it truly is. Unfortunately, a study published Tuesday by the United States Census Bureau shows that progressively Americans are losing their battle to remain profitable in an economic climate that neglects to recover. According to the report, there are more Americans living under the poverty line than ever in the 52-year history of the Census Bureau records.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:26:30 AM

At least you earn money, I'm having to build a business from scratch with my parents' money, okay, I won't say stop complaining like some ignorant fucktard who has a high paying job and owns a house but you should be able to save and invest a small portion of your income if you're helping out your parents.

Buy some altcoins or something at their super low prices or ride the Bitcoin wave if you aren't already.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:37:30 AM

I am genuinely curious.

It's far more important what you can do with those 1200 in your area rather than the sum to understand if your poor or no.
I doubt that in the us the is no difference between how expensive is to live in one city compared to a small town.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:25:42 PM

I am genuinely curious.

If you compare your financial situation with ''Third World'' countries, whith average salary less than 1 $ per week, you will find out that your salary is not bad at all.
Also, your living standard depends of your life habits, how you spend money, for what etc.
If you live in parent's home, don't spend to much you can live well, much better than more than 90 % of World population.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀