Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:33:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New attack vector: Mess with electricity costs to destabilize the BTC Economy?  (Read 2992 times)
TiagoTiago (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:34:55 AM

Could the governament play with the electricity costs to indirectly alter the price of bitcoins so the BTC economy gets so unpredictable people start shying away from it?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:35:37 AM

Collateral damage. Make normal people angry.

TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:37:14 AM

What if they did somthing that would be more targeted at miners, somthing like adding an extra charge if your electricity bill jumps up and down often (miners starting and stopping their rigs when the difficulty changes)

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:38:59 AM

What if they did somthing that would be more targeted at miners, somthing like adding an extra charge if your electricity bill jumps up and down often (miners starting and stopping their rigs when the difficulty changes)

I think it have to be a lot more sophisticated than that or otherwise you get intentional collateral damage.

TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:41:47 AM

Overtax videocards that are fast with the integer ops Bitcoin uses?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:42:16 AM

Overtax videocards that are fast with the integer ops Bitcoin uses?

You make gamers and researchers angry too.

TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:44:05 AM

There are alternatives that are about just as good with games and stuff

Do you like mmmBananas?!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:44:36 AM

There are alternatives that are about just as good with games and stuff

For graphic cards?

TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:45:26 AM

Yeah, NIVIDIA's

Do you like mmmBananas?!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:47:17 AM

Yeah, NIVIDIA's

I am sure AMD will throw in the wrench before that can happens.

TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:52:56 AM

If the governament is dedicated enough they could provide subisides(sp?) to AMD to research new approaches to chipmaking that will produce chips that perform poor for Bitcoin but good for games

Do you like mmmBananas?!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:09:24 AM

If the governament is dedicated enough they could provide subisides(sp?) to AMD to research new approaches to chipmaking that will produce chips that perform poor for Bitcoin but good for games

Bitcoin miners will choose the most cost effective means of hashing bitcoin, with or without GPUs.

So I am not sure what this regulation actually does.

TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 03:13:09 AM

Oh, right, the difficulty scales according to the processing power avaiable, i forgot that detail

Do you like mmmBananas?!
gigitrix

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 10:26:48 PM

Such attacks are completely ineffective, as if they make generation harder, difficulty falls and people overseas will generate it all.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 10:29:46 PM

Could the governament play with the electricity costs to indirectly alter the price of bitcoins so the BTC economy gets so unpredictable people start shying away from it?

Lol, even if it worked it would have the ridiculously bad consequence of making people shy away from every industry that is sensitive to power costs. Which is a shitton of important ones.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
carlerha

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 10:50:01 PM

I think it's very unlikely TiagoTiago, too many governmental corporatism interests depend on electricity for survival.
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 11:06:22 PM

Two ways I think the government might attack bitcoin.

Straight up make it illegal. This will be mostly ineffective, but might land some poor souls in jail for nothing.

Demonize it in the media. Make you look like a criminal for using bitcoin.

If they decide it's a threat to status quo, they will probably do both.

Neither or these things will stop people from using bitcoin. I can imagine new three letter agencies popping up to fight the currency of druglords, terrorists, and child predators.

DMS - Department of Monetary Security
CTD - Currency Trafficking Division
DMSEDWWSOE - Department to Make Sure Everyone Does What We Say Or Else  Grin

Hi, I work for the DMS, specifically the CTD, and we've been authorized by the DMSEDWWSOE to confiscate all of your belongings and hold you indefinitely while we conduct further investigations. You have the right to piss your pants.

How do we fight it. Make sure bitcoin is a household name and used by billions ASAP.  Cheesy

Wee fun post.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 12:51:38 AM

Hi, I work for the DMS, specifically the CTD, and we've been authorized by the DMSEDWWSOE to confiscate all of your belongings and hold you indefinitely while we conduct further investigations. You have the right to piss your pants.
have a "panic" button (destroys your hard drive), and keep a backup of your wallet on a remote server.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 02:04:12 AM

Solar power?

A PC doesn't need much to get started.

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
TehZomB

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 02:26:39 AM

have a "panic" button (destroys your hard drive), and keep a backup of your wallet on a remote server.
there are people that have implemented that, especially those that are involved in highly illegal works on the internet (no, i don't mean cp, get your mind out of the gutter).

even better - truecrypt your hard drive, don't cache passwords (of course), and pull the plug when you see the feds pull up. that way, unless we're in a total police state, you should *eventually* get your stuff back.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: