Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:20:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Video Interview] Kenna and Shrem @ Future of Money Summit  (Read 5511 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 08:28:56 PM

Yep, that's the one. What a great thing for Bitcoin. Now I can wear my t-shirt in public without all the weird stares. I’m disappointed that I missed meeting you today. Maybe next time.
If it happens, "game changer" is not too strong a phrase!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 08:45:13 PM

I still can't believe how often I heard "Bitcoin" at that conference. Most people knew all about it.
I also only recall hearing "Silk Road" once and it didn't turn in to the 20 minute debate that it would have 6 months ago.
I believe people are actually starting to discuss the potential (and existing) real world uses for Bitcoin instead of focusing on what makes the biggest headline.

-Jered

its very apparent to me that Silicon Valley finance companies take a different attitude towards Bitcoin than the NY Banks.  I was equally impressed with the knowledge and general attitude towards bitcoin at this event.  I'll be at the next one!

Right? Even California banks take a different attitide.

A banker walked up to me and said he knows all about Bitcoin and our business model and would be happy to be our bankers. WTF I have to beg NY Banks!

Because California has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country since the beginning of the recession and businesses are still closing down here. We were also the hardest hit from the crash of the housing market. It would be foolish to turn away any business right now in California.

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/pdf/BudgetSummary/EconomicOutlook.pdf

Good point!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 10:01:46 PM

I still can't believe how often I heard "Bitcoin" at that conference. Most people knew all about it.
I also only recall hearing "Silk Road" once and it didn't turn in to the 20 minute debate that it would have 6 months ago.
I believe people are actually starting to discuss the potential (and existing) real world uses for Bitcoin instead of focusing on what makes the biggest headline.

-Jered

its very apparent to me that Silicon Valley finance companies take a different attitude towards Bitcoin than the NY Banks.  I was equally impressed with the knowledge and general attitude towards bitcoin at this event.  I'll be at the next one!

Right? Even California banks take a different attitide.

A banker walked up to me and said he knows all about Bitcoin and our business model and would be happy to be our bankers. WTF I have to beg NY Banks!

Bankers love it, then their compliance department sees it...

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 10:04:16 PM

Hopefully the future of money is that it stops being used.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 11:47:59 PM

Depends on your definition of money. If you define it as "transferable value" then that's not going to happen any time soon.

-Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 11:55:06 PM

Best way to end off the conference.

Ladies and gentlemen thank you for coming.

The Future

Of

Money

and Technology

is

BITCOIN

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 12:18:00 PM

Depends on your definition of money. If you define it as "transferable value" then that's not going to happen any time soon.

-Jered

LightRider.... money allows prices to be set. Prices are the information that, without central planning, allows production to be adapted to demand, and thus allows prosperity for more and more people.

There is of course something very wrong with current fiat money system. But this thing is the central planning that comes with central banks. It's not money it self.

Please, learn and think about economic topics before trying the reinvent the world. Because the road to hell is paved with good intentions
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 01:48:13 PM

-Jered

LightRider.... money allows prices to be set. Prices are the information that, without central planning, allows production to be adapted to demand, and thus allows prosperity for more and more people.

There is of course something very wrong with current fiat money system. But this thing is the central planning that comes with central banks. It's not money it self.

Please, learn and think about economic topics before trying the reinvent the world. Because the road to hell is paved with good intentions
The purpose of money is to deny prosperity to more and more people. Technology is what improves people's lives, and such developments are independent of any economic scheme. Prices distort perceptions and values because they have no physical referent, and are manipulated to corrupt, abusive, wasteful and destructive ends.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 01:54:30 PM

Money emerge naturally when two kids play with collectible stickers.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 02:25:56 PM

The purpose of money is to deny prosperity to more and more people. Technology is what improves people's lives, and such developments are independent of any economic scheme. Prices distort perceptions and values because they have no physical referent, and are manipulated to corrupt, abusive, wasteful and destructive ends.
The purpose of money is to shift purchasing power through time.  It's ignorance, mismanagement and corruption that leads to bad outcomes.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 02:45:48 PM

-Jered

Sorry, no. I'm going to use some money today, for the purpose of exchange. To whom am I "denying prosperity" by this exchange? Money does not deny prosperity, it enables it, by offering to society a common means of exchange by which variant interests can be brought into harmony through the mechanism of pricing.

You're correct that technology improves peoples' lives. Think long and hard on the subject, and you may realize that money is technology. Bitcoin, as it happens, makes this fact even clearer. It is the best money-technology produced thus far.

Further, it is in fact impossible for an economy to operate at any desirable level without money. For if we took money away, people would barter. What would they barter for? Well, they'd find things which brought them relatively greater gain for their exchange. Over time, as people barter, they realize certain items are easier to trade than others. It's easier to trade eggs than it is to trade a hair dryer. It's easier to trade cigarettes than bicycles. It's easier to trade uniform gold and silver coins than either eggs or cigarettes. Certain bartered goods have properties that make them more useful in exchange than others, and when these exchanges play out we discover that people gravitate toward a small number of very tradable goods, and these become a common means of exchange. The term for this, is money.

So get rid of money, and it will reappear necessarily and unavoidably. The only way to prevent "money" is to use force to continually outlaw whatever subsequent product starts being exchanged commonly. The only way to prevent money, is thus to prevent barter, and that means to condemn each man to enjoy only what he can produce by himself in isolation. A sad state of affairs that would be.

Your hostility toward "money" is wholly misplaced, and should be more correctly oriented at the real villain - forced adoption of a "specific" money via the State, a money arrived at not through voluntary market exchange, not through barter, but through coercion.

Coercion is the problem, not money.

LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 03:32:09 PM

-Jered

Sorry, no. I'm going to use some money today, for the purpose of exchange. To whom am I "denying prosperity" by this exchange? Money does not deny prosperity, it enables it, by offering to society a common means of exchange by which variant interests can be brought into harmony through the mechanism of pricing.

You're correct that technology improves peoples' lives. Think long and hard on the subject, and you may realize that money is technology. Bitcoin, as it happens, makes this fact even clearer. It is the best money-technology produced thus far.

Further, it is in fact impossible for an economy to operate at any desirable level without money. For if we took money away, people would barter. What would they barter for? Well, they'd find things which brought them relatively greater gain for their exchange. Over time, as people barter, they realize certain items are easier to trade than others. It's easier to trade eggs than it is to trade a hair dryer. It's easier to trade cigarettes than bicycles. It's easier to trade uniform gold and silver coins than either eggs or cigarettes. Certain bartered goods have properties that make them more useful in exchange than others, and when these exchanges play out we discover that people gravitate toward a small number of very tradable goods, and these become a common means of exchange. The term for this, is money.

So get rid of money, and it will reappear necessarily and unavoidably. The only way to prevent "money" is to use force to continually outlaw whatever subsequent product starts being exchanged commonly. The only way to prevent money, is thus to prevent barter, and that means to condemn each man to enjoy only what he can produce by himself in isolation. A sad state of affairs that would be.

Your hostility toward "money" is wholly misplaced, and should be more correctly oriented at the real villain - forced adoption of a "specific" money via the State, a money arrived at not through voluntary market exchange, not through barter, but through coercion.

Coercion is the problem, not money.

Money is coercion. We should continue this OT conversation here though.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 03:40:07 PM

Glad to hear all went well at the conference!  It is exciting that Bitcoin is being taken more seriously by some of the corporate folks...
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 03:56:47 PM

Thesis · Antithesis · Synthesis

The Zeitgeist/Venus Project people have to get over the fact that human desires are endless, so there will always be means to barter, thus money.

Even in a fully automated world, unless we become some kind of hive mind, there will always be scarcity, or rather a subjective perception of it. Only one individual or family or group can live at that one exclusive penthouse near the beach at the same time.

What we can work on however is to make everything in life as "free" as possible, starting by automating the provision of our basic needs. The open source movement is surely a great force in this. What this essentially can lead to is that there will be many "flatrates" for most aspects in daily life, the cheaper, the better.

For example, a Venus Project city is nothing more or less than an enterprise that has to household with its resources, input vs output. If it can produce more energy than it needs, then living there will essentially be free for its inhabitants.

We can and should work towards this future in a bottom-up way, mind you, not like dictator Peter Joseph imagines things, wanting to centrally control the world's resources.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 04:04:29 PM

Fire emerges naturally when two kids play with matches.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:07:25 PM

Fire emerges naturally when two kids play with matches.

Babies emerge naturally when two kids play with each other.

And that's why I was never allowed to walk Susie home from school...ever again

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:29:30 PM

Money is the technology of value... Bitcoin is the technology of money
hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:38:34 PM

Was this posted somewhere already:

Video interview with Jered Kenna, TradeHill and Bitcoin.com, CEO & Charlie Shrem, CEO BitInstant.com @ Future of Money & Technology Conference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3DM6CbR5k

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 05:51:10 PM

Was this posted somewhere already:

Video interview with Jered Kenna, TradeHill and Bitcoin.com, CEO & Charlie Shrem, CEO BitInstant.com @ Future of Money & Technology Conference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3DM6CbR5k

Awesome!

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 01:29:11 AM

What? maybe a million people are using it...? ehh wut?
Where do you get these numbers, the statistics sites show about 100k active nodes daily, i assume most are the same each time... And i highly doubt there's 900k people using ewallets or whatever...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: