Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:45:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] breadwallet, first standalone iOS bitcoin wallet, now on bitcoin.org  (Read 1455 times)
voisine (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:06:31 PM

Hello, I'm pleased to announce that breadwallet is now listed at bitcoin.org/choose-your-wallet (under mobile)

breadwallet is the first real bitcoin network client for iOS. Other iOS wallets use trusted servers to retrieve blockchain data, while breadwallet is an SPV network client.

project website is: breadwallet.com

it's also open source: github.com/voisine/breadwallet
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 11:34:09 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2014, 12:39:46 AM by dillpicklechips

I'm really excited about this wallet. Simple and secure. You might get more visibility if it's in the right category here in the forums though.
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 12:20:55 AM

I will use it after getting the new iPhone 6 currently thinking about dumping my android.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:08:23 PM

I will use it after getting the new iPhone 6 currently thinking about dumping my android.

Interesting... I'm currently thinking about dumping my iPhone for android : )

Why do you need iOS 7.1 for this wallet?  Huh

I'm also interested why iOS 7.1+ is needed. A lot of older devices are not happy with iOS 7 (laggy) and therefore out of the game : /
voisine (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:50:53 PM

Why do you need iOS 7.1 for this wallet?  Huh

Security is the overriding project goal. Older devices that can't run ios7 can be pin cracked if stolen. I believe there are currently no known exploits for loading pin cracking software onto iPhone 4s and newer devices.

Aside from that, the project is using ios7 native qr scanning/rendering among other things
tlo

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 09:34:20 PM

The app looks really nice! I wonder if you could comment on the business model? I would have expected a paid version or in-app-purchases for pro features.
voisine (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:13:21 AM

My goal was to create the safest and simplest bitcoin wallet, open source and free to get the widest audience, then explore monetization opportunities later on. In-app-purchase and paid apps are only useful for earning fiat money, and who trusts that junk? Smiley

probably the first monetization method I'll implement is a "buy bitcoin" option in settings with affiliate links to local exchanges.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:07:17 AM

Please, keep it simple. That is its strength.

Is there a public donation address somewhere? You could make donation address visible also inside the app and on github.
voisine (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:30:32 PM

Please, keep it simple. That is its strength.

Is there a public donation address somewhere? You could make donation address visible also inside the app and on github.

@minimalB absolutely. I will not add anything to the app that I don't believe adds value for users. Right now I think the biggest barrier for new users is obtaining some bitcoin once they have the wallet, so that's why I'm interested in having a convenient option to do so that doesn't detract from the simplicity of the app. I will only add features to the app if they can be done in a simple, intuitive way that doesn't add UI clutter.

I'm not a huge fan of the whole donation thing. It's fine I guess, but something about the whole idea doesn't sit right. You wouldn't donate to google or apple even though they give away a lot of their services for free (search, gmail, safari, OS X)... they're not charitable ventures and neither is breadwallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: