Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:54:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Have you invested more than you can afford to lose into Bitcoin?
Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you invested more than you can afford to lose in Bitcoin?  (Read 2378 times)
blatchcorn (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 08:47:23 AM

Self explanatory subject
cookmac

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 09:51:03 AM

Nope that is rule number one. I have earned most my Btc and not converted to usd. The only investment I lose is time
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 10:02:38 AM

Most people wouldn't know until they've actually lost them. For me, I can loose my bitcoin and still have no problem paying my bills, but it would still hurt a fair bit.  Cheesy
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:41:05 AM

probably and may eventually invest alot more soon Cool Wink
cookmac

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:44:30 AM

If the potential gains are worth less than the potential losses you sir have made a mistake.
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:01:44 PM

If the potential gains are worth less than the potential losses you sir have made a mistake.

So wrong. You can't strike out looking, only swinging.  Evaluating this way is overly simplistic.  That is how people end up chasing bad risk, getting in trouble, and making the situation worse.

And, no, I have definitely not invested more than I can afford to lose. 
bananaControl

Activity: 322

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:21:38 PM

I have cut all my expenses to the bones and put all the resulting spare money into bitcoins - I rarely eat meat and I literally haven't bought anything for myself other than food and bitcoins for a very long time now. I've also sold a lot of things that I never used anymore and put the money from that into bitcoins as well. These activities have resulted in a surprisingly large amount of wealth that I would never have imagined that I'd be able to accumulate.

So, no, I have not invested more money than I can afford to lose. It would not be fun for me if btc goes to zero, but I will not end up on the street or be in debt. On the other hand I have to gamble on this with a large enough bet that it can potentially change my life for the better. If you never do anything risky in life you'll never win either.
gigEls

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:22:38 PM

Definitely not. Losing all wouldn't change a thing. At least now.

UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:23:57 PM

I´ve invested 70% of my savings. I´ll sink with the ship, I don´t care. Without taking risks you never will have success.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5069

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:29:55 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2014, 04:08:18 PM by Torque

I´ve invested 70% of my savings. I´ll sink with the ship, I don´t care. Without taking risks you never will have success.

Honestly, this.  The bitcoin winners will be in this circle, while the rest of the "diversified investment crowd" will make some money but will be going "Damn, if only I had invested 5X more at the time....shit".  

Remember, bitcoin gets 3x-5x orders of magnitude more expensive with each run up.  So get it while it's cheap NOW.
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:53:26 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2014, 02:08:25 PM by abercrombie

Yes, I'm very heavily vested in Bitcoin.  Fortunately, I'm not (yet) at a loss.  Grin

I keep throwing each paycheck into BTC.  Under $500, me thinks is a steal.  
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:55:05 PM

Whoa... that is a lot of yes..

Looks like I am going to need strong hands.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:02:24 PM

Investing money is one thing but being greedy is not good. Looking at the yes votes some people are in for a rough ride.

Bitcoin is high risk, high reward and I emphasize it to everyone I speak with. Other people I know marketed it to friends and family as a sure thing.
In this bear market a lot of people got burnt and still are waiting on recovery. Since I explained the risks and rewards to people they knew what they were getting into.
The people I know who didn't do that got an avalanche of shit on them.

You need to be a realist and realize that Bitcoin can still go two ways. Maybe the longterm is looking positive but there will always be prolonged periods of downtrends aswell.

Yes I am a true believer in Bitcoin, but to throw all your money at it is as your only hope is a very desperate measure.
Keep enough fiat in reserve so you don't have to sell off coins when your washingmachine or car breaks down.

Be smart, be a bit conservative.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 02:08:33 PM

Investing money is one thing but being greedy is not good. Looking at the yes votes some people are in for a rough ride.

this is like the definition of investing tho, lol

Wilhelm
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:11:29 PM

this is like the definition of investing tho, lol

No a rough ride is having to sell off your investements because you cannot pay your rent.
Investing in a smart and controlled way let's you sleep at night since you can still pay your bills and allow for some unexpected circumstances.

FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:14:55 PM

Definitely not more than I can afford to lose! If we go down (i.e. sink completely) at this point, it will hurt. Quite a big bit, that's for sure. But I will still have conservative reserves, no outstanding debts to pay and am in no imminent danger of living in a cardboard box.

Wilhelm
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:16:21 PM

Definitely not more than I can afford to lose! If we go down (i.e. sink completely) at this point, it will hurt. Quite a big bit, that's for sure. But I will still have conservative reserves, no outstanding debts to pay and am in no imminent danger of living in a cardboard box.

This sounds like someone with good mental health Smiley

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:18:17 PM

I think this is the key point: You can be heavily invested in Bitcoin. Alright. But don't, for crying out loud, invest money you've borrowed, especially not for a (high) interest rate! This has disaster written all over it. This is effectively margin trading. People get wiped out all the time there, because they are forced to pay back their loan and end up with nothing.
Being 70% in Bitcoin is risky. Being 90% in Bitcoin is even more risky, hell yeah, but being 110% in Bitcoin is insane.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:20:49 PM

The only time you should borrow money to invest is if you have insider information.  So legally never.
inigthz

Activity: 507

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:26:12 PM

Watchlist.. Prices.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: