Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:44:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit coins never showed from Mt. Gox  (Read 736 times)
jwtruth35 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:36:30 AM

I withdrew about 21 btc from my Mt. Gox account on April 20th.  I did everything the same as always and sent the coins to my wallet on my desk top.

Well the coins never showed.  I definitely waited long enough for the block chain to download and after a few emails back and forth with Mt. Gox they have basically said the coins were transferred and I need to figure it out.  They said I should talk to my wallet provider but that makes no sense to me since I have it on my desk top.  If this sounds stupid it's because I'm not what you call tech savvy, but I've done transfers to this wallet before and had no problems.  There is also no record on my wallet of any coins coming or going for this time period.

Someone please point me in the right direction.  I like bitcoin but not if I am going to get burned by it.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:43:49 AM

If you got burned, it wasn't by bitcoin. 

First, go here...

http://blockexplorer.com/

and input the address that you sent the coins to.  Make sure that it's correct via the MtGox history page. Type that into that search box, and you should be able to find the transaction if it has been included into a block. 

Second, don't trust websites ran by people that you have never met to be honest with your money; if they screwed you, you have no recourse, but I doubt that is what has happened.  MtGox has a fair reputation, even after the flash crash & hack debacle.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
jwtruth35 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:52:22 AM

I just looked it up and it has a sent notice about 8 hours later.

The address has a couple small received amounts shown and that's it.

So I guess somehow, someone ripped me, but I don't know how they got me.  Can anyone tell me how to be safer with my coin and if this btc is gone forever?  I assume it is.  I just want to know if I bother to continue with btc since there seems to be no recourse if your money disappears.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 05:27:27 AM

not enough information.  what do you mean by a sent notice?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 06:07:29 AM

I just want to know if I bother to continue with btc since there seems to be no recourse if your money disappears.
If you'd rather have a big iron fist above you dictating to whom you may or may not send money to, you obviously aren't ready for Bitcoin yet.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 06:11:30 AM

I just looked it up and it has a sent notice about 8 hours later.

The address has a couple small received amounts shown and that's it.

So you are sayiing that when looking at the blockchain (e.g., using http://Blockchain.info ) you can see the transaction from Mt. Gox (based on the date and the amount) to your address, but then there is another transaction that occurred after where the funds have since been spent?

So I guess somehow, someone ripped me, but I don't know how they got me.

Which client?  Are you using passphrase encryption?

Can anyone tell me how to be safer with my coin and if this btc is gone forever?  I assume it is.

Bitcoin transactions are nonreversible so if the above scenario is what occurred (a transaction spent your coins and it wasn't you that spent them) then yes, the funds are gone.

I just want to know if I bother to continue with btc since there seems to be no recourse if your money disappears.

Nobody can spend your coins unless they have access to your private keys stored in your wallet.  There are differing levels of protection, suitable for different requirements.  Of course, a paper wallet created offline using a bootable CD and an "air gap" to the network is one of the most secure methods, but that isn't convenient.    Adding passphrase encryption to your wallet is going to protect your wallet from the risk where your wallet.dat somehow gets into the wrong hands.    It won't protect you though if your system is compromised with spyware that contains keylogging software, for instance.  Running the Bitcoin client locally does have the dependency that your system is kept secure.

There are protections that will protect even against that risk, to some degree.  Mt. Gox, for instance, offers a Yubikey hardware device that is needed in order to login and withdraw from your account with them.  There are other solutions from other exchanges as well.  Even Blockchain offers an optional two-factor authentication method.

But if your coins were spent and you didn't do it, then the prudent course of action is to assume your system is compromised and proceed with an appropriate course of action from there.  If you still have other bitcoins stored, then backup the wallet and recover the funds elsewhere first.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █