Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:16:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reuters: Bitcoin gets boost as U.S. watchdog (CFTC) approves first swap  (Read 2789 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 02:58:59 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2014, 08:15:37 PM by LiteCoinGuy

Bitcoin gets boost as U.S. watchdog approves first swap

TeraExchange on Friday launched a swap based on the bitcoin virtual currency, becoming the first to receive approval from a U.S. federal regulator for a financial product based on the budding

It took TeraExchange, which was launched in 2010, almost half a year to get the product past the regulator, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, since first announcing its plans to launch the swap in March.

The company, one of a handful of platforms to facilitate regulated swaps trading that sprung up after the crisis, had to construct an index to gauge the value of bitcoin that the CFTC was satisfied could not easily be manipulated.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/12/us-usa-bitcoin-cftc-idUSKBN0H71FU20140912?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

http://www.teraexchange.com/

posted here because i think thats a milestone for bitcoin, isnt it?

LiteCoinGuy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SpongeBTCants

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 03:01:53 PM

So many good news lately, wonder when whales will stop keeping the price low to buy as much cheap BTC as possible from morons before the price sky rockets again.
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 05:50:44 PM

Definitely a milestone for bitcoin, really happy to see so many great things happening and so much good news coming through involving bitcoin and it seems to be happening a lot more often now as well which surely is a great sign?
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 07:30:59 PM

http://www.finextra.com/News/announcement.aspx?pressreleaseid=56688

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:40:01 PM

Wow, this is huge and can help stabilize Bitcoin price once and for all.

The Tera Bitcoin Price Index employs a dynamic algorithm that compiles and filters data on a real-time basis from a number of widely utilized global bitcoin exchanges. In order to be included in the index these exchanges are required to execute and maintain an information sharing agreement with TeraExchange, as required by the CFTC. TeraExchange is the index administrator and calculation agent....."Regulated bitcoin swap trading provides institutional clients with a more efficie a more efficient and confident way to hedge and trade," said Christian Martin, CEO and co-founder. "A robust price index also helps the growing bitcoin trading community to accurately mark-to-market positions while establishing trust and stability in this growing global marketplace."

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:46:41 PM

dosn't really mean anything if it does explain it to me

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:51:04 PM

Wow, this is huge and can help stabilize Bitcoin price once and for all.

What r u talking about

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 07:52:29 PM

You are too dumb to understand things like this.  However, I'll tell you one thing you can understand - this is fucking huge. 

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:54:19 PM

You are too dumb to understand things like this.  However, I'll tell you one thing you can understand - this is fucking huge. 

Sure bud just answer the question instead of trying to sound like an ass hat

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

RawDog
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 08:00:18 PM

The answer will be of no use to you.  You'll just have to believe that bitcoin swaps are a very important step forward.  It basically means, now wall street is actually involved and designing financial products around bitcoin.  Never before has that been done. 

Look, this stuff is technical.  It's not really good for morons.  Try a Frisbee.

Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
trabitc

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 08:04:12 PM

I didn't understand much about this news but if it's huge, it's nice for me and for bitcoins.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 08:08:05 PM

The answer will be of no use to you.  You'll just have to believe that bitcoin swaps are a very important step forward.  It basically means, now wall street is actually involved and designing financial products around bitcoin.  Never before has that been done. 

Look, this stuff is technical.  It's not really good for morons.  Try a Frisbee.

Translation:

Brain injury association of America certified WORTHLESS

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

RawDog
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 08:10:26 PM

You are too dumb to understand things like this.  However, I'll tell you one thing you can understand - this is fucking huge.  

The answer will be of no use to you.  You'll just have to believe that bitcoin swaps are a very important step forward.  It basically means, now wall street is actually involved and designing financial products around bitcoin.  Never before has that been done.  

Look, this stuff is technical.  It's not really good for morons.  Try a Frisbee.

Translation:

Don't worry about it dude - just put one of these in your car window:

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 08:13:53 PM

Translation:

Don't worry about it dude - just put one of these in your car window:

Now your explaing the currency swap exemption properly

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 08:34:16 PM

So this swap is an agreement to sell bitcoin at an agreed rate in the future, right? Does it mean merchants who accepts bitcoin do not need to sell the bitcoin they received on the exchange immediately?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 08:40:20 PM

WOOT WOOT

Verse

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 09:13:07 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2014, 09:30:21 PM by Verse

So this swap is an agreement to sell bitcoin at an agreed rate in the future, right? Does it mean merchants who accepts bitcoin do not need to sell the bitcoin they received on the exchange immediately?
Yes. This is a crucial step towards stabilizing the exchange market and turning Bitcoin into a viable currency instead of an investment currency. Additionally, if these swaps are heavily used, they could create significant upward price pressure for BTC by forcing the market into a longer position and therefore able to price in externalities like deflation, and the demand increase for BTC at higher valuations (wire transfers for large corporations which exchanges cannot currently handle due to the limited market.)

Keep your eye on these swaps, they could serve as a tipping point.

You can get more information here, instead of having that kid posting handicap signs call you an idiot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swap_%28finance%29

Or a simple explanation here: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/optioninvestor/07/swaps.asp

tl;dr: Bitcoin's real value is in the future, not the present. Swaps = Long positions = Long term upward price pressure = Good.

Disclaimer: Please note that I am not necessarily saying that the current $470 price is 'good' by extension, Bitcoin could (still) be overvalued and a market correction could suppress any short term swap benefits.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:03:07 PM

Yes. This is a crucial step towards stabilizing the exchange market and turning Bitcoin into a viable currency instead of an investment currency. Additionally, if these swaps are heavily used, they could create significant upward price pressure for BTC by forcing the market into a longer position and therefore able to price in externalities like deflation, and the demand increase for BTC at higher valuations (wire transfers for large corporations which exchanges cannot currently handle due to the limited market.)

Keep your eye on these swaps, they could serve as a tipping point.

You can get more information here, instead of having that kid posting handicap signs call you an idiot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swap_%28finance%29

Or a simple explanation here: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/optioninvestor/07/swaps.asp

tl;dr: Bitcoin's real value is in the future, not the present. Swaps = Long positions = Long term upward price pressure = Good.

Disclaimer: Please note that I am not necessarily saying that the current $470 price is 'good' by extension, Bitcoin could (still) be overvalued and a market correction could suppress any short term swap benefits.

That's all correct. Bitcoin could end up with a decreased USD exchange rate initially but the long term growth would be impressive and steady. We could look forward to real adoption by normal people not just the fringe element that uses it inbetween their posting of handicapped signs.

blumangroup

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

Technically this is true. However someone selling a futures contract to sell something in the future generally has the same effect on the "spot" market as an outright sale would have.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:19:01 PM

Technically this is true. However someone selling a futures contract to sell something in the future generally has the same effect on the "spot" market as an outright sale would have.

This is exactly what I once proposed, dedicating a thread to such, but was shut down (not the thread) via a myriad of posts espousing as to why my idea would never come to fruition.

My electronics teacher in high school ('76) told me that there would never be a TV watch due not being able to manufacture a cathode ray tube small enough to create such a thing after I asked a "what if" question. He was somebody I looked up to at the time. Image the possibilities if he would have said something akin to, "That's a great idea, Bruno. Why don't you try to build something like that, but probably not based on a CAT."

Look at my sig. Does that also look like a crazy idea?

~Bruno Kucinskas
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: