Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:47:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IBM's proposal using Bitcoin block chain!  (Read 3368 times)
windpath (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 05:56:01 PM

Combine Bitcoin’s block chain technology, BitTorrent and a secure messaging protocol called telehash and you get a distributed infrastructure that some IBM researchers think would be ideal for the internet of things.

https://gigaom.com/2014/09/09/check-out-ibms-proposal-for-an-internet-of-things-architecture-using-bitcoins-block-chain-tech/
tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:20:31 PM

Good.
Big technology companies are taking bitcoin for serious.
This is a concept of how blockchain tech can be combine to create
the IoT. No matter how bitcoin goes, blockchain
has definitelly got a ticket to the future.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 06:25:18 PM

"Combine Bitcoin’s block chain technology" is not ( our ) Bitcoin Blockchain. i read that they will use "their own" somehow...

Gnarrrly

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:55:57 PM

And another one. Soo many good news lately. We are back on track Smiley
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:03:16 PM

"Combine Bitcoin’s block chain technology" is not ( our ) Bitcoin Blockchain. i read that they will use "their own" somehow...

You're correct but I don't think it was ever meant to be taken as Bitcoin's blockchain.  All they're saying is the blockchain concept offers a lot of promise, and that in and of itself is a meaningful step.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:11:08 PM

Combine Bitcoin’s block chain technology, BitTorrent and a secure messaging protocol called telehash and you get a distributed infrastructure that some IBM researchers think would be ideal for the internet of things.

https://gigaom.com/2014/09/09/check-out-ibms-proposal-for-an-internet-of-things-architecture-using-bitcoins-block-chain-tech/

Be assured, that IBM, whose 80% revenue comes off licensing, wont ever do anything to help a open source project. They are the bank of tech world. Unable to compete with the pace of open source world they are now trying to lure us, but not getting involved into it. Another instance is SAP opening up Hana to lure open source devs. We DONT need them. They need us...

Amen \m/

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 07:33:08 PM

https://i.imgur.com/W7F2CbD.jpg

RickyRickyyyy

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:14:28 PM

IDK about IBM, cant trust these guys lol. Anyway, good ad for btc.
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 11:21:49 PM

It's good that we are seeing more big companies coming on board, it's what is needed for bitcoin to be honest with you to help get the word out there and show other businesses that it's something that can be successful.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 06:27:55 AM

Block chain technology is so powerful that its concept and successful application attracts so much attention. Even the IBM won't miss this opportunity.
icet208

Activity: 762

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:42:14 AM

Good news. With all this great news BTC price still very low...Waiting for next 2 mounths...hopefully the history repeats:D

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 11:38:35 AM

You're correct but I don't think it was ever meant to be taken as Bitcoin's blockchain.  All they're saying is the blockchain concept offers a lot of promise, and that in and of itself is a meaningful step.

IBM won't be the only company that will be interested in the blockchain tech, though how many computers are needed to at a minimum to make it run smoothly and efficiently?
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 01:18:22 PM

Be assured, that IBM, whose 80% revenue comes off licensing, wont ever do anything to help a open source project. They are the bank of tech world. Unable to compete with the pace of open source world they are now trying to lure us, but not getting involved into it. Another instance is SAP opening up Hana to lure open source devs. We DONT need them. They need us...

Amen \m/

Yeah, can't trust the IBM guys, they have 0 morals and 0 long term views. Just look at the ridiculous quotes about personal computers and the internet these idiots spit back in the day. Now they are seen as the biggest laughin stocks. You can't trust anyone that isn't releasing in a open sourced way themselves.

Verse

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 01:46:53 PM

It's good that we are seeing more big companies coming on board, it's what is needed for bitcoin to be honest with you to help get the word out there and show other businesses that it's something that can be successful.
This is not what's happening. IBM is copying Bitcoin's proof-of-work technology to create a smaller, independent, and likely closed-source blockchain for the internet of things. How does this theoretically benefit Bitcoin? IBM said they were going to use the blockchain, aka free advertising in a very technical article that nobody who isn't already interested in Bitcoin would read.

Real benefits: Nothing. The adoption of blockchain-like technologies does not help Bitcoin and has, at best, marginal external benefits.

I agree with BitcoinDream, IBM's business model does not give two shits about Bitcoin when they can just copy the technology, create a black box closed-source program, slap a patent on it, and rent it out for a profit. Can Bitcoin's MIT license prevent this? I feel like the community telling IBM to fuck off would benefit Bitcoin more than this article has in terms of publicity alone.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 02:21:01 PM

blockchain apparently is the new hip cool thing in the tech world, now everybody needs their own blockchain  Roll Eyes

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 08:28:54 PM

Be assured, that IBM, whose 80% revenue comes off licensing, wont ever do anything to help a open source project.

Ha. Haha. Hahahahahaha.

When I Was A Kid, We Didn't Have GitHub ...

Not if you ask the enterprise software crowd. And you should. When many Web entrepreneurs were still finishing high school, the open source movement was going mainstream in enterprise computing. The first contenders were Linux and the Apache HTTP server, both of which owe a huge thanks to IBM, as Apache Software Foundation president Jim Jagielski calls out.

I still remember IBM's provocative announcement in 2001 that it was putting $1 billion toward the development and promotion of Linux. While such billion-dollar commitments from IBM are now so routine as to be unremarkable, back then a billion dollars meant a lot. I was working for an embedded Linux vendor at the time, and most of our sales cycle was spent explaining why GPL-licensed Linux wasn't the technology equivalent of terminal cancer. (Thanks in part to Microsoft's contribution.)

But after IBM's announcement, the world completely changed. Suddenly it was not only safe to use open source, but advisable.

IBM thus paved the way for the Mark Zuckerbergs of the world to grow up in a world that actually encouraged open source usage. So when Eclipse marketing director Ian Skerrett lauds IBM (and Red Hat) for its contributions ... he was talking about more than just code.

http://readwrite.com/2014/02/07/enterprise-open-source-contributions

Care to clarify your assertion?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 09:33:07 PM

plus point 4 BTC Cool Cool Cool

zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:50:01 AM

Amen \m/
I think it would be possible for them to provide some kind of service that somehow utilizes the blockchain. Just because they get a lot of their revenues from licensing does not mean they will claim ownership (patient) on something that is not theirs to get additional licensing revenue. If they did try this it would likely hurt them in the long run
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: