Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 01:42:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If bitcoin was real coins, Would you pick 1500 satoshis off the ground?  (Read 4486 times)
amacar

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 10:42:29 PM

No I will not bow for such a small amount. I can get more even with faucets. But if bitcoin was more like 100k+ $ then I would pick it.
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 11:30:05 PM

Would you? Or would that be a waste of time for you?

I most definitely would if it was right there in front of me or it was a small detour from where I was already walking.  I pick up pennies and nickels all the time.  It amazes me how many people just throw them on the ground.  I find dimes and quarters as well often. At the end of the day, no matter how small it is, it adds up over time.

plaxant

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 12:00:34 AM

Considering how many people run faucets day in and day out I assume most people would. I know I probably would. Then again I pick up pennies off the ground.

Hitchslap78

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:12:00 AM

It would be something like 70 pennies. I wouldn't pick such amount.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:56:09 AM

I'd pick any coin from the ground Smiley

That as long as it looks nice even a penny if its still in ciruculation in that country  Grin

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BlackHawk23

Activity: 24

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:07:30 AM

Yes they are always money! Who doesn't pick up money from the ground?  Shocked
plaxant

Activity: 100

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 04:08:15 PM

You wouldn't pick up two quarters and two dimes?

caconrad0825

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:37:54 PM

How often are you finding these? Like a faucet you can get 500 satoshis an hour, multiply that by 24 and then 7 days a week that is 84000 per week from one source (0,3229 according to Preev.com). It's not much, but it's nothing to scoff at if you can do it with a few clicks.
IamCANADIAN013

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:15:40 AM

That's funny, I was gonna ask them the same question but forgot.  I don't people that say they can't be bothered to pick up the change.  Sure 70 cents isn't a lot for some people, but 70 cents is a lot of money to some, especially the homeless.

A lot of the time when I find change I'll throw it in one of the many donation boxes you see in stores.  Hell, throw it all in a bin at home and around Christmas donate to the food bank.
Golden-Fox

Activity: 21

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:30:00 AM

I like to earn. I never go for free money and the amount is very low. So I won't pick.
Soappa

Activity: 569

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:39:59 AM

That's funny, I was gonna ask them the same question but forgot.  I don't people that say they can't be bothered to pick up the change.  Sure 70 cents isn't a lot for some people, but 70 cents is a lot of money to some, especially the homeless.

A lot of the time when I find change I'll throw it in one of the many donation boxes you see in stores.  Hell, throw it all in a bin at home and around Christmas donate to the food bank.

What 70 cents? 1500 satoshis = 0.000015 btc = 0.0057 USD at this moment.
I don't think that 0.57 cent is a lot of money, even to the poor and homeless...

IamCANADIAN013

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:43:18 AM

I don't think that 0.57 cent is a lot of money, even to the poor and homeless...

Are you kidding me?  Not sure where you live, but even 70 cents goes a long way from eating to going hungry.  There are homeless people living on the streets of Vancouver and they appreciate even 25 cents.  As I mentioned in a previous post, it adds up.  Couple people give a homeless person 70 cents, thats a meal.

It's all perspective. What maybe nothing to you, can be a lot to another person.  Someone goes from having nothing to 70 cents, or even 50 cents, its better than having nothing.
Soappa

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:06:15 AM

Are you kidding me?  Not sure where you live, but even 70 cents goes a long way from eating to going hungry.  There are homeless people living on the streets of Vancouver and they appreciate even 25 cents.  As I mentioned in a previous post, it adds up.  Couple people give a homeless person 70 cents, thats a meal.

It's all perspective. What maybe nothing to you, can be a lot to another person.  Someone goes from having nothing to 70 cents, or even 50 cents, its better than having nothing.

As I said, that 1500 satoshi is not worth 70 cents, but it is just 0.57 cents.
The homeless people may appreciate 25 cents, but probably not so much for half a cent.

While the cents can add up, you will need to spend a lot on the transaction fee in the end, as DannyHamilton explained in post 40.

IamCANADIAN013

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:31:10 AM

The homeless people may appreciate 25 cents, but probably not so much for half a cent.

While the cents can add up, you will need to spend a lot on the transaction fee in the end, as DannyHamilton explained in post 40.

Fair enough, the topic got a little blurred comparing satoshis to actual coins. You're right, they are only worth 57 cents today, but they could be worth a lot more down the road. Which could change a lot of peoples opinions. 
Soappa

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:53:00 AM

Fair enough, the topic got a little blurred comparing satoshis to actual coins. You're right, they are only worth 57 cents today, but they could be worth a lot more down the road. Which could change a lot of peoples opinions. 

Wait, there must be something wrong here, as you keep considering the value 100 times higher than I do.

We agree the bitcoin price is around 380 USD now, right?
And that 1500 satoshi is 0.000015 bitcoin, right?
And lastly, 1 USD = 100 cents, right?
If the answers to all three questions are "yes", it seems you have miscalculated the "satoshi coin" value 100 times higher.

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:28:00 PM

It is dust after all.
People get worried when they find dust transactions delivered to their wallets.  Wink
Gotti III

Activity: 60

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:25:02 PM

I pick it if it happens once. Im not going to pick it all the time.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:29:31 PM

I'd have to pick them up knowing that they are a Finite supply, but i'm using a damn magnet to pick all those up

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
IamCANADIAN013

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 11:16:58 PM

Wait, there must be something wrong here, as you keep considering the value 100 times higher than I do.

We agree the bitcoin price is around 380 USD now, right?
And that 1500 satoshi is 0.000015 bitcoin, right?
And lastly, 1 USD = 100 cents, right?
If the answers to all three questions are "yes", it seems you have miscalculated the "satoshi coin" value 100 times higher.

I had to come back today and look at this while not having beer in the system.  You're right, I read the 70 pennies in the other post and just went from there while not paying enough attention to the decimal points.  So yes, much of what I posted was misguided.

I'd likely still pick it up though, who knows what it could be worth down the road.
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 11:37:51 PM

YES!!

Would you? Or would that be a waste of time for you?

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: