Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:13:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some project 28nm?  (Read 2071 times)
bitscoins (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 11:46:39 PM

Project with kintex 7 or Stratix 5?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 11:57:15 PM

do u want to start one?

bitscoins (OP)

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 12:03:31 AM

I can't not in my possibility  Smiley
Exclusively only now a few project at 28nm chip
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 12:19:04 AM

I can't not in my possibility  Smiley
Exclusively only now a few project at 28nm chip
First let's see a few of the 28nm arch chips delivered, at a reasonable price, and then we can discuss making something with them.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 12:23:15 AM

Tomorrow, I will attend X-Fest, which is a complimentary all-day Xilinx seminar sponsored by Avnet, and if they have the KC705  Kintex-7 eval kit on sale at a significant discount, I'll buy it.
But this board won't make a cost-efficient miner and I neither have the time nor the gumption to try to duplicate EldenTyrell's work.
So, yeah, I'll compile a miner for that board all right, but it'll be far from optimal and will not earn the board's purchase price back.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
yohan

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 07:26:44 AM

We have a Kintex design and silicon already and this silicon is unlikely to meet Bitcoin expectations pricing wise. We also have Arrria-V silicon and some parts there might be viable for Bitcoin but it needs a proper analysis to be sure. One Cyclone-V (150LE part) is supposed now to be available in small numbers and we might do something with that.
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 06:00:58 PM

I just snuck out of the X-Fest (Avnet/Xilinx seminar) to do some work in my nearby office, which doubles as my mining office.

The highlights of X-Fest, as far as they are relevant for FPGA mining, are:
- Artix will arrive by the end of this year  -  let's hope this is not a BFL-like time estimation  Cheesy
- like all Xilinx-7 devices, Artix requires power supply sequencing and needs at least one more voltage compared to Spartan-6
- not even ballpark pricing for Artix was available

- this year, there are no discounts on eval boards or the ISE software license  Sad

- but there is a low-cost Kintex-7 eval board: The so-called Mini-Module Plus with a Kintex XC7K325T-1FFG676 for $895
- it includes a full version of ISE, which is, however, locked to Kintex XC7K325T devices
- but it doesn't come with a power supply, which is $300 extra (several different vendors to choose from: TI, Maxim, GE, ST, AD)
- all of these power supplies only provide 6A for VCCINT, which may or may not be enough for mining
- and it doesn't include the base board, which is $500 (but not strictly required, if you wire the Mini-Module to the P/S yourself)

Will I buy the Kintex Mini-Module? I'm not sure. An Artix version of the mini module will arrive "at the end of the year" and that one will be much more interesting for mining / Bitstream development.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 01:23:36 AM

- Artix will arrive by the end of this year  -  let's hope this is not a BFL-like time estimation  Cheesy

Any word on whether or not the 200 chip will be among the first ones available?  I'm hoping the availability of that one will prevent people from using the smaller Artices, sort of like how nobody uses Spartan6-LX75's.  The Artix-100 is really funny-shaped.  Somebody beat that chip with the ugly stick.

- like all Xilinx-7 devices, Artix requires power supply sequencing

My experience has been that sequencing doesn't matter if you program via JTAG -- just don't start the JTAG sequence until all supplies are stable.  Is there reason to believe Artix-7 will be any different?

- not even ballpark pricing for Artix was available

They're probably having to adjust the prices upwards due to the 28nm yield trainwreck at TSMC.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Inspector 2211

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 01:54:21 AM

Any word on whether or not the 200 chip will be among the first ones available?  I'm hoping the availability of that one will prevent people from using the smaller Artices, sort of like how nobody uses Spartan6-LX75's.  The Artix-100 is really funny-shaped.  Somebody beat that chip with the ugly stick.

No word on that.

I agree that Artix-200 will be the FPGA of choice for mining, and the $64,000 question is whether anyone (hint, hint) can fit all 125 stages of a miner into the Artix-200's 156 columns, from left to right (or from right to left), without the dreaded U-turn.
Or, to be more precise, whether anyone (hint, hint) can get all 2 x 125 stages of TWO miners into it.
The two "parks" (Central Park and Golden Gate Park) for the ADC and the PCIe controller in the left half of Artix-200 certainly don't help with such an endeavor...

My experience has been that sequencing doesn't matter if you program via JTAG -- just don't start the JTAG sequence until all supplies are stable.  Is there reason to believe Artix-7 will be any different?

Yes, there is! There was a talk just on designing power supplies for -7 chips (Artix, Kintex, Virtex) and this point was stressed. However, most DC-DC controllers have an enable pin, thus enforcing a well-defined power-up sequence is actually quite easy.

Not so easy for power-down, but while the power-down sequence is NOMINALLY the reverse power-up sequence, it isn't critical in practice (because the "wrong" condition will only last for a short period of time, not long enough to cause damage).

There is a datasheet note that states: "On power-down, voltage w may only be higher than voltage x by y volts for z milliseconds, otherwise the long-term reliability of the chip will be affected", but the lecturer said, this is almost implicitly guaranteed in most designs and should not be of concern to most people.

They're probably having to adjust the prices upwards due to the 28nm yield trainwreck at TSMC.

I sure hope not!

But I agree with you: While Intel is now shipping 22 nm CPUs in volume, TSMC still hasn't solved the problems with the 28 nm process. Sigh.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀