Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:37:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble with getbitcoin  (Read 2064 times)
codizzle (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:01:44 AM

I am new to bitcoins and made a mistake the other night of trying to fund my account. Here is the transaction details
Order Details:
Order Number: 11953
Order Amount: 33.0 Dollars
Maximum Price: 5.125 Dollars Per Bitcoin
Your Bitcoin Address: 1JZjGkRBvK1ttgydLn38tVphCMPsMncQo1
I Do not even remember putting in that bitcoin address and my funds seem to be escrowed there (I think) and did not know what to do to have them released or returned. I made this purchase from getbitcoins I think on monday night and they say they cannot help me.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 03:27:17 AM

Check your e-mail.

When an order is placed with them an e-mail showing the bitcoin address is sent:

Dear [Customer name]:

Your GetBitcoin order has been confirmed! We will fill your order within 24 hours of receiving payment, so please send your payment promptly.

How to Send Payment:

[Details here regarding payment method]

Order Details:

Order Number: nnnnnn
Order Amount: nnn.n Dollars
Maximum Price: n.nn Dollars Per Bitcoin
Your Bitcoin Address: [your bitcoin address here]

Thanks for using GetBitcoin! Feel free to write us at support@get-bitcoin.com for any questions you might have about your order.

-- The GetBitcoin Team

So they should have sent the payment to the address that was in the e-mail (presumably, the same one that you entered.)

Was the address you gave them from a local wallet (e.g., using the Bitcoin.org client) or is this to an E-wallet address?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

pissed@getbitcoin

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 12:53:35 AM

while it is reassuring to see that there aren't a lot of negative threads about getbitcoin I and my friends are having gigantic problems
with them. I personally have been waiting for 3 checks totaling $2,395.65. It's been 3 weeks now and it seems like all i get are bot
responses to my emails. one other friend has been waiting over 2 weeks for $1300.00 and yet another friend here in the same town
over a month for a 800 dollar check and two others @ two weeks wait period.

That's $6000.00 over a month period with nothing but " I will check with my supervisors" bot responses.

Needless to say they are disappointing me with their lack of professionalism.

I would really like somebody from getbitcoin to respond to me here because it seems they get a big fat F!!!
for their lack of ability to respond to their customers that have been waiting weeks and weeks via e-mail.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 02:03:54 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2012, 02:59:30 AM by Stephen Gornick

I personally have been waiting for 3 checks

There are multiple methods to sell your bitcoins.  Have you considered CampBX?  They too are in the U.S. and offer as one with the withdrawal methods, to send a check.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

David_Benz
Donator

Activity: 56

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 02:34:02 AM

I personally have been waiting for 3 checks

There are multiple methods to sell your bitcoins.  Have you considered CampBX?  They too are in the U.S. and offer as one with the withdrawal methods, to send a check.

CAMPBX

[/quote]

I am the Bitcoinica Hacker.
coindexter

Activity: 41

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 06:43:37 AM

Having trouble with them as well.Been waiting for a check and have not gotten a response to my email sent 5 working days ago.I use Campbx as well, so as to not have all eggs in one basket.Glad I did.
Enkel

Activity: 122
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 01:32:29 PM

Not to derail the thread, but is there a list somewhere of the 'companies' providing this type service?  What would they be called?
btcnode

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 05:19:45 PM

Not to derail the thread, but is there a list somewhere of the 'companies' providing this type service?  What would they be called?

Exchanges?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 08:38:53 PM

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Selling_bitcoins

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Enkel

Activity: 122
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 11:23:10 PM

@btcnode and Stephen - thanks
pissed@getbitcoin

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 10:37:23 PM

yea i understand there are other companies that buy / sell bitcoins.
I use other companies also but they dont currently have thousands of my money.
It's been weeks and weeks - one check just over a month now.
I wonder if the securities and exchange commission handles this type of complaint?
J.Socal

Activity: 495
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 12:40:02 AM

Is there any independent trusted members on this site ,that send cash for bitcoins?don't like all these rules campbx has..   https://campbx.com/register.php 
Blackhawke

Activity: 22

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 09:13:11 PM

Well... I'm sad to say that I too am having trouble with getbitcoin.

Day before yesterday I sent them my bitcoins for a WU wire and got the order confirmation email with all the required information. 23-1/2 hours later I had heard nothing, so I emailed. Eventually I got an email back saying they had never received the bitcoins!!!  Huh

Three hours later I received another email saying that my bitcoins had been sold and that I would be receiving my payment "shortly". Twelve hours after the time stamp on that email, I still had not received an email with a WU transaction number. So much for "shortly."

I emailed yet again!

We are now 36 hours from the time I received the 6th confirmation of the transaction in my client, and I have neither fiat, nor bitcoins, nor any word from getBitCoin as to when I might get my money, one way or another.

They have managed to totally fuck over my plans for my weekend, thank you very much!  Angry

I hate to say it, but after this I'm going to have a very hard time recommending their service, or even using again. I'm headed into damage control at this point, and just hope I get my money back!

(I can't recommend the Russian run WM-Center either, though they are fast with their PayPal transactions. Their problem is skimming. There's a 30% spread between market price -- which they eagerly sell btc at -- and what they will pay you for your bitcoins. And then they're ballsy enough to want you to pay a transaction processing fee on top of that!)
Bitco

Activity: 746
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 04:39:16 PM

I recently bought bitcoins from get-bitcoin and had no trouble.  I haven't tried to sell any bitcoins to them though.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 06:09:17 PM

(I can't recommend the Russian run WM-Center either, though they are fast with their PayPal transactions.

There are several additional methods for cashing out from bitcoin to PayPal:

- https://www.spendbitcoins.com/convert/

and Bitcoin Nordic

More:

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Blackhawke

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 06:40:20 PM

(I can't recommend the Russian run WM-Center either, though they are fast with their PayPal transactions.

There are several additional methods for cashing out from bitcoin to PayPal:

- https://www.spendbitcoins.com/convert/

and Bitcoin Nordic

More:

Thanks for that Stephen. I'll give them a try!
Blackhawke

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 06:57:35 PM

Okay.. So to update my getbitcoin fiasco (and to be fair to getbitcoin):

Last night -- 48 hours from the transaction confirmation, almost to the minute -- I finally got notified that the WU transfer was completed. So the good news is, getbitcoin did do the wire transfer and I'm not out (most) of the money.

The interesting news is the cost (other than time): I sold getbitcoin 64 bitcoins. At the time, spot price was $5.15, so that's $329.6, though I only assumed $320 ($5/btc). The $20 was to cover the WU transaction fee. I wanted the $300, and so set the minimum price to $5/btc, thinking that, at a minimum I would get my $300; if the price stayed level for the next 24 hours I would get a few dollars more.

The email I received from getbitcoin said they sold my bitcoins at $5.24, which would have been $335.36.

They paid me $275!

So, factoring out the $20 Western Union fee, the spread between the market value of my bitcoins and what they paid me for my bitcoins ended up being $40.36. The raw cost for the transaction was $60.36 -- that's a 20% transaction cost, though in fairness to getbitcoin, they have no control over Western Union's fees (and WU is infamous for it's usurious fees). However, even subtracting their fees, getbitcoin charged 13.4% to handle the transaction. A transaction that was fraught with screw ups.

Ari

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:47:57 AM

I placed an order with get-bitcoin a week ago, when the price was around $5.50.  They waited a week to fill my order, then charged me $6.50.  Not only that, but they charged me the 5% fee, despite their promise that "We guarantee that you will receive your Bitcoins within 24 hours of us receiving payment - always. If you don't, our services are free!" (see the FAQ on their web site)

I won't be buying from get-bitcoin again.
BBE

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 05:08:33 PM

getbitcoin is by far the worst company i've ever dealt with.  I had to finally threaten to take them to small claims court to finally get my transaction completed.

I looked up the closest small claims court to their business, and told them I was in contact with the small claims court in your business's hometown and if they didn't complete it asap I was going to go through and have the necessary paperwork drawn up to send this matter into the small court claims, and they finally paid me.
billybob

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 08:58:05 PM

I have a friend who has used them and had an awful experience. everything went through it just took a while with little response to his emails.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: