Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:18:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Bitcoin wallet is the most secure?  (Read 11988 times)
blg425 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 09:26:46 PM

I am looking for a Bitcoin wallet that is the most secure. Is Armory the most secure? Would anyone recommend Green Address? I like the Green Address UI, mobile app and 2FA. Share your thoughts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 09:56:33 PM

Armory is most secure wallet. It is entirely based on security unlike other wallets. Green Address is okay but I don't know whether it is much secure. Just my opinion. Smiley

~~MZ~~

bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:21:24 PM

Armory is safe and also Trezor.. Armory is free and has many cool features. Trezor is easy and secure..
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 10:27:33 PM

Armory is safe and also Trezor.. Armory is free and has many cool features. Trezor is easy and secure..

The problem of Trezor is that it isn't affordable by all because of the price. Now btcchip is available. It is still in Beta stage but like it is convenient and cheap. Green Address supports it and Electrum is going to support it in next update.

~~MZ~~

blg425 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:46:49 PM

The problem of Trezor is that it isn't affordable by all because of the price. Now btcchip is available. It is still in Beta stage but like it is convenient and cheap. Green Address supports it and Electrum is going to support it in next update.

~~MZ~~

That btcchip USB Smart Card seems nice. I might buy one of these and use Green Address. Is there any worry about green address since they control it. What if their site/server goes down or gets hacked? Armory seems the safest, I am just too lazy to download the full node.  Tongue

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 05:31:23 AM

~~MZ~~

That btcchip USB Smart Card seems nice. I might buy one of these and use Green Address. Is there any worry about green address since they control it. What if their site/server goes down or gets hacked? Armory seems the safest, I am just too lazy to download the full node.  Tongue

Why don't use wallet made by them rather than Green Address? OR just buy it now and use the wallet they made and wait till Electrum update comes. Then you can use Electrum.

~~MZ~~

bitcoinsecurityproject

Activity: 22
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 02:36:00 AM

Have you seen Aegis Wallet?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aegiswallet

It supports encryption via password or NFC tag. Your keys are encrypted at rest and all backups are AES 256 encrypted. It also supports Android Wear.

Let me know if you have any questions.
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 05:00:59 AM

desktop wallets are not secure for non-technical users who don't understand how to secure a desktop system against malware.

I built breadwallet with the primary purpose of making a wallet that's a real bitcoin network client and can be used safely by anyone. iOS is the best protected against malware of the popular computing platforms, and all iOS devices are hardware AES encrypted by default providing strong security against physical theft.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 12:57:20 PM

desktop wallets are not secure for non-technical users who don't understand how to secure a desktop system against malware.

I built breadwallet with the primary purpose of making a wallet that's a real bitcoin network client and can be used safely by anyone. iOS is the best protected against malware of the popular computing platforms, and all iOS devices are hardware AES encrypted by default providing strong security against physical theft.

I really like to check it but it isn't available here(in India). Can you do something about it?

~~MZ~~

voisine

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 03:37:35 PM

I really like to check it but it isn't available here(in India). Can you do something about it?

~~MZ~~

breadwallet is currently available in the India app store: https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/breadwallet-bitcoin-wallet/id885251393

In fact, India has the most downloads in the "Africa, The Middle East, and India" region according to iTunes download statistics.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 10:57:52 AM

~~MZ~~

breadwallet is currently available in the India app store: https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/breadwallet-bitcoin-wallet/id885251393

In fact, India has the most downloads in the "Africa, The Middle East, and India" region according to iTunes download statistics.

Thanks! I couldn't find it earlier.

My feedback:
1) It is like hive. The address changes.
2) The private key can't be imported though we can sweep private key sweep. If the private keys can't be imported, why is it showing "import private key"? Huh
3) Security is good.
4) GUI is pretty good! Smiley

I doesn't like bread wallet because of the "automatic address create" feature. Anyway it's good. I have another this to ask too, if it is like hive, why is another app needed? Does this offers anything more than hive offers? Smiley

~~MZ~~

voisine

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 05:08:37 PM

Thanks! I couldn't find it earlier.

My feedback:
1) It is like hive. The address changes.
2) The private key can't be imported though we can sweep private key sweep. If the private keys can't be imported, why is it showing "import private key"? Huh
3) Security is good.
4) GUI is pretty good! Smiley

I doesn't like bread wallet because of the "automatic address create" feature. Anyway it's good. I have another this to ask too, if it is like hive, why is another app needed? Does this offers anything more than hive offers? Smiley

~~MZ~~

Bitcoin addresses are intended for single use only. Reusing addresses makes it easy for an attacker to associate your transactions together and learn your identity and entire financial history if any transaction can be tied to you. I'm not aware of any popular wallets that aren't at least working on changing to be "deterministic" with address rotation. This is also required to achieve a passing privacy score on bitcoin.org

Hive for ios is a nice wallet, but it's a "server trusting" wallet, not a bitcoin client like breadwallet.

Regarding address import, regular users don't understand Bitcoin addresses anymore than they understand ip addresses. It would be a bad experience if they imported a key without sweeping, then the phone was lost and they restored on a new phone, and some of their money was gone because the imported key didn't get swept into a wallet key that was deterministically tied to their backup phrase. With breadwallet, users don't have to manage their addresses. The wallet does that.
Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 06:12:48 PM

Have you seen Aegis Wallet?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aegiswallet

It supports encryption via password or NFC tag. Your keys are encrypted at rest and all backups are AES 256 encrypted. It also supports Android Wear.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please explain the NFC feature of your app. My HTC phone has NFC, Do I need An external NFC tag to use? Do the Bitcoin ATM's use NFC? Is your apps NFC feature only related to password and not making transactions?

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 02:48:26 PM

=snip=

Regarding address import, regular users don't understand Bitcoin addresses anymore than they understand ip addresses. It would be a bad experience if they imported a key without sweeping, then the phone was lost and they restored on a new phone, and some of their money was gone because the imported key didn't get swept into a wallet key that was deterministically tied to their backup phrase. With breadwallet, users don't have to manage their addresses. The wallet does that.

Okay! Smiley So does this mean that the private key will be imported at the same time the BTC will be swept or only BTC will be swept? Huh Can you implement an option to stop 'Address Rotating'? It would be good too! Smiley

~~MZ~~

voisine

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:13:52 PM

=snip=

Okay! Smiley So does this mean that the private key will be imported at the same time the BTC will be swept or only BTC will be swept? Huh Can you implement an option to stop 'Address Rotating'? It would be good too! Smiley

~~MZ~~

It only sweeps the balance into your wallet, which is the most intuitive for non-bitcoin experts.

Adding an option to stop the address rotation would compromise privacy, so no. Eventually we want to get to where users never have to see a bitcoin addresses, just like how they now don't typically ever see IP addresses.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 02:34:16 PM

Armory is certainly the best when it comes to security. The only thing i don't is that there are too many functions which can get confusing. Good and bad but generally is still the best. Using one right now after completed downloading the whole blockchain

voisine

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 04:19:53 PM

Armory is certainly the best when it comes to security. The only thing i don't is that there are too many functions which can get confusing. Good and bad but generally is still the best. Using one right now after completed downloading the whole blockchain

Armory is a great option for people who are security experts and understand how to harden a desktop system against malware. A sandboxed, signed-code-only platform like ios is more secure for non security professionals. It uses the trustedBSD managed access control model for app separation.
vhaasteren

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:58:10 AM

Armory is a great option for people who are security experts and understand how to harden a desktop system against malware. A sandboxed, signed-code-only platform like ios is more secure for non security professionals. It uses the trustedBSD managed access control model for app separation.

Armory offers an easy way to put your coins into cold storage, which is the safest way to store your coins. Unless you can offer that on your iOS app, you can't say you are more secure.
voisine

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 07:02:46 AM

Armory offers an easy way to put your coins into cold storage, which is the safest way to store your coins. Unless you can offer that on your iOS app, you can't say you are more secure.

You can always write down your backup phrase and then wipe your wallet from the phone (it forces you to type in your backup phrase in order to wipe, ensuring you didn't make a transcription error).

Also I've read multiple accounts of people who've lost funds with paper wallets because everyone said that's what to use, but they didn't understand how change addresses work. If you have an HD wallet backup phrase instead of a single address paper wallet, that solves that problem. Even experienced bitcoiners have made mistakes leading to loss trying to manage paper wallets.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 03:20:29 PM

You can always write down your backup phrase and then wipe your wallet from the phone (it forces you to type in your backup phrase in order to wipe, ensuring you didn't make a transcription error).

Also I've read multiple accounts of people who've lost funds with paper wallets because everyone said that's what to use, but they didn't understand how change addresses work. If you have an HD wallet backup phrase instead of a single address paper wallet, that solves that problem. Even experienced bitcoiners have made mistakes leading to loss trying to manage paper wallets.

Paper wallet is most secure though there is some problem such as damages to paper but you can prevent it(most of them doesn't do). Back up phrase are very hard(est) to crack, but still there is a chance, less than 20% maybe. You don't want to really use "change address" feature if you don't know about it. Just use an address, store 90%+ of your BTC there and a small amount in a hot wallet.

~~MZ~~

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: