Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:27:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Somehow my reciever received .0001 and .215 went to fees  (Read 1688 times)
adidas (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Americans do it better

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:32:11 PM

Forgive me if this is the wrong section, but i dont know where else this goes. I sent a transaction the other night and was checking confirmations and obviously seen right away that the fee went to my receiver and what mant to send went to fees!
https://blockchain.info/tx/5cc1dc3d38ee04a3c4a2a6a3cfdbf7ce36a39d11a505383395faddefe6b8e965
I am aware that this is next to impossible to fix, however i have seen miner pools return mistakenly sent fees. I was told to contact Ghash but someone but they told me there is nothing they'll do about it. Does any one possibly have any helpful suggestions on how i could possibly retrieve this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:50:10 PM

Forgive me if this is the wrong section, but i dont know where else this goes. I sent a transaction the other night and was checking confirmations and obviously seen right away that the fee went to my receiver and what mant to send went to fees!
https://blockchain.info/tx/5cc1dc3d38ee04a3c4a2a6a3cfdbf7ce36a39d11a505383395faddefe6b8e965
I am aware that this is next to impossible to fix, however i have seen miner pools return mistakenly sent fees. I was told to contact Ghash but someone but they told me there is nothing they'll do about it. Does any one possibly have any helpful suggestions on how i could possibly retrieve this?

As I can see your Tx is included in https://blockchain.info/block-index/463285 which was found by GHash.IO. The forum profile of GHash.IO is https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=147821, where u may request. But, it may not be possible for them to return u the miner fee as they are a pool and used to distribute their earning among miners pointing at their pool.

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:26:09 PM

Send a support ticket to ghash.io, I've seen them return BTC to people that made the same mistake as you did.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:33:58 PM

All you can do is ask.

Don't expect the refund, and be polite.  Accept whatever they offer you (if anything) graciously, as this was your mistake and they have no obligation to return the fee.

Understand that the bitcoin from the block are already split up and either given to or promised to hundreds of miners.  It is not possible for the pool to get agreement from every single miner in the pool in returning your bitcoins to you.  Therefore, whatever you get back (if anything) comes straight out of the pocket of the person running the pool completely out of the kindness of their heart.  It is essentially a charitable donation that they are making to you.

I wish you the best of luck in your attempt, and encourage you to be MUCH more careful in the future when playing around with advanced features such as custom transaction creation.  If you use advanced functions without proper care and knowledge it can result in the permanent loss of significant amounts of money.
adidas (OP)

Americans do it better

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:21:25 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 03:44:09 AM

OMG!  sorry for your loss buddy. I really hope you get it back.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 12:18:54 PM

Mind telling us which wallet software you used? I doubt it was bitcoin core as it usually handles fees automatically.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:17:07 PM

Mind telling us which wallet software you used? I doubt it was bitcoin core as it usually handles fees automatically.

I'm going to guess blockchain.info/wallet.

90% of the time that I hear someone say that they accidentally sent the fee to the recipient and the payment as a transaction fee, it's because they were using the "Custom" transaction screen on blockchain.info, and they weren't paying attention to which number they put into each of the two fields.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 01:44:48 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2014, 03:41:30 PM by CIYAM

I'm going to guess blockchain.info/wallet.

If it is then I'd suggest that a request be made for them to "warn before continuing" if the tx fee is greater than the amount being sent to other addresses.

EDIT: In fact the warning should probably be there if the fee is much greater than *what is needed* (although hard to say they are *responsible* for this loss I would hope they'd fix the issue and refund this guy).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
adidas (OP)

Americans do it better

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 03:11:10 PM

Yes, i was using blockchain.

adidas (OP)

Americans do it better

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:41:40 PM

So i received a message on cex yesterday that this is going to be sent up to management to discuss, so hopefully i can get at least a portion back

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:58:30 PM

So i received a message on cex yesterday that this is going to be sent up to management to discuss, so hopefully i can get at least a portion back

There have been cases worse than yours, and they got their money back, so don't worry. Some people put in like 4 BTC as a fee, and they got it back.
adidas (OP)

Americans do it better

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:05:07 PM

There have been cases worse than yours, and they got their money back, so don't worry. Some people put in like 4 BTC as a fee, and they got it back.

Well first they said there is nothing that can be done because the blocks are found then immediately distributed to the miners, but i linked a thread where more than 1 person said that ghash was kind enough to return mistakenly sent fees, one of who had sent like 2.6 btcs and they all got them back. I realize they are certainly not obligated to help me out, however i think it would be the right thing to do.

HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 03:18:50 AM

Well first they said there is nothing that can be done because the blocks are found then immediately distributed to the miners, but i linked a thread where more than 1 person said that ghash was kind enough to return mistakenly sent fees, one of who had sent like 2.6 btcs and they all got them back. I realize they are certainly not obligated to help me out, however i think it would be the right thing to do.

It is true that they do distribute it so it would be their loss.  The rewards take 100 blocks to be spendable so pools usually distribute it then.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
new force

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 02:04:56 AM

AFAIK, it's not gonna happen to return it back, but try again, good luck!
adidas (OP)

Americans do it better

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 04:43:03 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2014, 06:01:02 PM by adidas

youre right. even though they have reimbursed others in this same situation they will not reimburse me. they have stopped contacting me since the 16th when he said they were talkin to management so looks like i'm sol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: