Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:34:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica is now a registered Financial Services Provider?!?  (Read 1168 times)
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 03:45:13 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird? ..and completely counter to what Bitcoin is supposed to be about?

https://www.bitcoinica.com/posts/registered-financial-services-provider

I'm grumpy!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:27:35 PM

Because they follow laws?

Nope, I don't see that as weird, sorry.  Wink
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:32:07 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird? ..and completely counter to what Bitcoin is supposed to be about?
no, its not weird. no, its not against what Bitcoin is supposed to be about, its positive that they follow the law.
judging from your username, you are a little 16-17 years old anarchistic angry anti-authority emo child, just saying.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:36:51 PM

This is an nice article about the subject :
http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.com.es/2012/04/bitcoin-and-state-asking-permission-to.html

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 06:03:49 PM

The meat of it:

A company listed with FinCEN has explicitly entered into a legally binding agreement with them to spy on its customers and partners and has a duty to report 'large and suspicious' transactions to the State.

but here's where the 14yo emo kid thinking comes in  Wink:

The real problem behind this FinCEN registration is the thinking driving those entrepreneurs who so desperately seek a stamp of legitimacy from the State. Rather than build secure services that are sticky, viral, disruptive and useful, it appears that these well meaning people are trying to get a psychological boost by receiving the blessings of the State. This simply will not work to catapult their businesses into widespread acceptance and profitability. And it will not help to gain them users; on the contrary, in the long term, it may make it impossible for them to even operate at all.

Why then would you even think of asking for permission to operate from the very people who stand to be wiped out by the success of the innovation you are working on?

uhhh...yeah..why would you??

I forgot about all the statist trolls on this site - they really outnumber the decent folk, but I guess when you're a parasite you have a lot of time to sit around posting on forums.

I'm grumpy!!
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 06:09:48 PM

The meat of it:

A company listed with FinCEN has explicitly entered into a legally binding agreement with them to spy on its customers and partners and has a duty to report 'large and suspicious' transactions to the State.

but here's where the 14yo emo kid thinking comes in  Wink:

The real problem behind this FinCEN registration is the thinking driving those entrepreneurs who so desperately seek a stamp of legitimacy from the State. Rather than build secure services that are sticky, viral, disruptive and useful, it appears that these well meaning people are trying to get a psychological boost by receiving the blessings of the State. This simply will not work to catapult their businesses into widespread acceptance and profitability. And it will not help to gain them users; on the contrary, in the long term, it may make it impossible for them to even operate at all.

I forgot about all the statist trolls on this site - they really outnumber the decent folk, but I guess when you're a parasite you have a lot of time to sit around posting on forums

you really don't know what you are talking about, do ya? stupid america-centric 12yo emo kid.
THEY ARE REGISTERED IN NEW ZEALAND (No, its not a state in the US).

do you even read the links you post? can you even read?
http://www.business.govt.nz/fsp/app/ui/fsp/version/searchSummaryCompanyFSP/FSP207625/4.do

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 06:28:47 PM

The meat of it:

but here's where the 14yo emo kid thinking comes in  Wink:

Why then would you even think of asking for permission to operate from the very people who stand to be wiped out by the success of the innovation you are working on?

uhhh...yeah..why would you??

I forgot about all the statist trolls on this site - they really outnumber the decent folk, but I guess when you're a parasite you have a lot of time to sit around posting on forums.
I guess this is where our political views are the differentiating factor.  I believe that Bitcoin can be made to work with laws and regulations alongside the USD - the key differentiating factors being the semi-anonymous nature of transfers and one being deflationary while the other is inflationary.  But, that is my opinion.  Obviously, you're an anarchist, and probably don't believe in any form of government whatsoever, so that's why you take the side of not having government involved at all.

I believe not following rules and regulations is a very quick path to getting shut down by the government.  Following those rules and regulations will allow Bitcoin financial establishments to operate legally, at least until/unless there is some ruling against Bitcoins themselves.
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 06:31:26 PM

THEY ARE REGISTERED IN NEW ZEALAND (No, its not a state in the US).

New Zealand is not a state, yet.

#USImperialism2012

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 06:32:56 PM

I believe not following rules and regulations is a very quick path to getting shut down by the government.  Following those rules and regulations will allow Bitcoin financial establishments to operate legally, at least until/unless there is some ruling against Bitcoins themselves.
+1

cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 07:03:34 PM

I believe not following rules and regulations is a very quick path to getting shut down by the government. 

What about bit torrents? SR?

I'm grumpy!!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 07:06:49 PM

I believe not following rules and regulations is a very quick path to getting shut down by the government. 

If they could be shut down, they would be.

Bitcoin itself cannot be shut down.  Bitcoin doesn't need to follow laws then.  But Bitcoin EXCHANGES CAN be shut down, and quite easily.  That's why they need to remain complaint with government laws.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 07:11:51 PM

bittorrents, one word.
torrent websites gets closed/killed often. and SR is easily infiltrated by the US government...

but both these examples can not be compared to an bitcoin exchange, as the currenty finacial system is under heavy regulations, and traced.
and the only true alternative is friend-to-friend bitcoin for cash, which is inefficient.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: