Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:29:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP ! How to restore an encrypted bitcoin wallet (bounty 0.04btc)  (Read 2543 times)
joyyen (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

MMM EXTRA - THE RIGHT STEP TOWARDS THE GOAL

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 02:37:37 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2014, 03:54:10 PM by joyyen

Hi ! everyone

here is the situation !

I have accidentally delete the hardisk partition which my encrypted bitcoin wallet and blockchain is installed there !

So after i restarted my system i i got a massage from the bitcoin-QT it says need to relocate a space to re download all the blockhain OMG ! and so my wallet.dat has gone together with deleted hardisk partition.

Fortunately i have a backup bitcoin wallet few weeks ago. and after i have restore my backup wallet.dat file to the assigned location

The bitcoin-QT appear massage  "wallet.dat corrupt salvage failed "  i know the bitcoin password but i just dont know how to restore an encrypted bitcoin wallet.

IT just cant let me restore my old encrypted wallet !

i hope my coin is not gone !

i try search all over the youtube cannot find any instruction

i know need to find some private key or something ! then only can restore the wallet

can anyone tell guild me how to restore the wallet ?

i am a total computer NOOB ! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP !

[Join MMM and get up to 100% per month]
HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 02:44:33 PM

I believe the first step is to try pywallet.py.  py is for Python

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
joyyen (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 02:47:06 PM

sorry ?

you mean that is the programe ? or i need to download it to computer ?

HELP.org

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 02:56:28 PM

I am sure some experts will chime in as I have never run it myself.  I have always used a deterministic wallet where one key generates all the keys and you don't have this problem.

pywallet.py is a program used to get data from Bitcoin wallets that may have been damaged and can't be opened by the program.

Python is the programming language and you will need to install an interpreter so that python programs can run on your computer.

Here is Python for Windows:  https://www.python.org/download/windows/

one you install that you can run Python programs such as pywallet.py

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 02:59:49 PM

sorry ?

you mean that is the programe ? or i need to download it to computer ?

Check https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0 for more details. Python is a language like C, C++, Java etc... Pywallet is written in Python language, that's why it is pywallet where py stands for python. It has many features, mainly related to restore/backup of wallet.

~~MZ~~

joyyen (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 03:16:51 PM

i have installed the python 2.7.8 so what is the next step ?

can anyone send me a full tutorial link ?

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 03:26:02 PM

Asked both of them now. Awaiting response Smiley

The second that you say the word "format" or "repartition", the only hope is to yank the drive from service and scan the whole surface for any recoverable private keys. Data likely will no longer be where it should be, recovery software will find junk in the sectors where "wallet.dat" is indicated to have been.

After IMMEDIATELY discontinuing use of any drive with possibly-recoverable bitcoins on it, you need to boot another operating system off another drive, and use software that will mount and scan the entire original drive by raw disk sector to discover any recoverable private key data that could be left on the drive.

Get a second hard drive to run off of or bootable USB with a linux distro on it, and get pywallet running on it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0

Then use the command below, pointed to the appropriate device corresponding to the old hard drive and the correct drive size/area to scan, pywallet will go through these steps: 1. read every byte on the disk to look for keys 2. create a recovery file of private keys which enables 3. attempt recovery of password-encrypted keys using possible phrases

python pywallet.py --recover --recov_device /dev/sdb --recov_size 120GB --recov_outputdir ~/foundkeys

It takes about 10 hours to fully 0-wipe a 2TB hard drive, expect longer for key recovery just to read and process the whole drive.

Several threads are around discussing this, but there is not one that is at "master tutorial" level.

joyyen (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 03:53:17 PM

Asked both of them now. Awaiting response Smiley

The second that you say the word "format" or "repartition", the only hope is to yank the drive from service and scan the whole surface for any recoverable private keys. Data likely will no longer be where it should be, recovery software will find junk in the sectors where "wallet.dat" is indicated to have been.

After IMMEDIATELY discontinuing use of any drive with possibly-recoverable bitcoins on it, you need to boot another operating system off another drive, and use software that will mount and scan the entire original drive by raw disk sector to discover any recoverable private key data that could be left on the drive.

Get a second hard drive to run off of or bootable USB with a linux distro on it, and get pywallet running on it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0

Then use the command below, pointed to the appropriate device corresponding to the old hard drive and the correct drive size/area to scan, pywallet will go through these steps: 1. read every byte on the disk to look for keys 2. create a recovery file of private keys which enables 3. attempt recovery of password-encrypted keys using possible phrases

python pywallet.py --recover --recov_device /dev/sdb --recov_size 120GB --recov_outputdir ~/foundkeys

It takes about 10 hours to fully 0-wipe a 2TB hard drive, expect longer for key recovery just to read and process the whole drive.

Several threads are around discussing this, but there is not one that is at "master tutorial" level.

I have multiple disk on my computer ! ( as i said i am computer noob know nothing about it)

can i just install the windows python 2.7.8 and i have downloaded the pywallet-master folder which contain pywallet and readme and another file is "wget-1.11.4-1-setup" and i have installed i done see shortcut button

and i know the password for my encripted wallet.dat, i dont know how to do this on linux

about the private keys if there any simple way to get it ?

is so annoying by encrypting my wallet causing so much trouble on the wallet qt ! OMG then what is the meaning of bitcoin wallet backup

ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM I AM WILLING TO PAY 0.04BTC

joyyen (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 04:07:58 PM

ok guys i have manage to find my old Bitcoin folder including block chain everything on feb 2013 and place it to my current bitcoin folder ! and use on my current wallet.dat

i will update you guys see if the restoration can be complete !

oh gosh !

joyyen (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 04:15:35 PM

and i cant believe i have no problem on restoring an encrypted dogecoin wallet only bitcoin is giving me problem !

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 06:53:11 PM

If the wallet.dat backup was made AFTER you encrypted it, and you haven't made more than 100 transactions, you backup should still be current. The wallet file has a pool of 100 future addresses to keep the backup from becoming obsolete for a while, however, when you encrypt it, the unused address in the pool are replaced with new addresses.

Problems restoring a backup like you indicate are usually from corruption by copying the wallet.dat file while Bitcoin is still running. The safe way to make a backup is to use the menu option in the program.

The only file that contains your bitcoins is wallet.dat. If you formatted or erased the partition containing your wallet, then you must find a valid and working backup. If you do not have a backup that works, the only hope is to have immediately stopped using the disk with the deleted partition, so that data recovery can be done as I outlined above.
joyyen (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 03:02:26 AM

Wallet sync complete funds recovered !

Thank god !

HELP.org

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 03:16:23 AM

Use a deterministic wallet and backup the key remotely.  If you don't label it as a Bitcoin wallet backup key nobody will know what it is.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
vinda

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:13:30 AM

Wallet sync complete funds recovered !

Thank god !

congrats
joyyen (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 06:24:36 PM

i Just realize that This option can also solve my problem

as today i have found out i have the same problem on my dogecoin wallet so i followed this instruction

On others post by sonny

I have never got this problem, so I have no idea why it happens and how to fix it.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
Code:
-salvagewallet Attempt to recover private keys from a corrupt wallet.dat

If you are using Linux, run "./bitcoin-qt -salvagewallet".
If you are using Windows, make a shortcut for your bitcoin.exe and append "-salvagewallet" to the target, and then open the program using that shortcut.

If you have any bitcoin in your wallet, do NOT delete your wallet.dat, or you will lose your bitcoin. If you have no bitcoin yet, feel free to delete the wallet.dat file.

Thanks god now i also recovered my Dogecoin wallet !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: