Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 03:25:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Man's bitcoin mining leads to police raiding his home  (Read 3668 times)
BTCreward

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 04:43:20 AM

This has happened an odd number of times (at least two other times I can vaguely recall). I guess when your electricity provider sends the letter asking what's causing you to draw so much electricity, you damn well better fill it out truthfully and return the form in a timely manner. Undecided
I don't think most electric companies generally make this inquiry. Also most of the times this has happened have always been in Canada that I recall. Maybe it has something to do with canidian law/regulations

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 04:49:25 AM

This has happened an odd number of times (at least two other times I can vaguely recall). I guess when your electricity provider sends the letter asking what's causing you to draw so much electricity, you damn well better fill it out truthfully and return the form in a timely manner. Undecided
I don't think most electric companies generally make this inquiry. Also most of the times this has happened have always been in Canada that I recall. Maybe it has something to do with canidian law/regulations
Really? At both residences I've mined, I was sent a form a few months after in the US. Don't recall first provider -- second was Consumers.
psudoBTC

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:19:12 AM

Really? At both residences I've mined, I was sent a form a few months after in the US. Don't recall first provider -- second was Consumers.
The form may have been to make sure you don't have some appliance on all the time that generally should not be on (for example an electric stove). When I was mining early last year no one at the electric company payed any attention that my electric consumption suddenly went way up
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 06:25:12 AM

This was already posted and covered here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=781703.0

The reason the warrant was issued was him using eight times the normal usage of a residence *AND* because he had previous history of operating growing houses.

This isn't a case where some innocent person was raided due to simply using too much electricity. It was that fact combined with his previous criminal history. The seizure of the bitcoin was incidental to the raid. Bitcoin came into the picture AFTER the raid, it was not the cause as so many want to believe.

Whatever your personal feelings are regarding MJ, growing it in Virginia is still very much illegal.

Mining Bitcoin wasn't the issue, it was the grow operation that got him in trouble.

~BCX~

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Pot-Bust-Leads-To-Investigation-into-Mans-Computer-228429621.html

Oh...now it all makes sense..! otherwise i was like...hell..y would they seize everything randomly? 

Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:05:13 PM

Thats silly. spend all that money to raid someone just for an alleged plant?

u make it sound so innocuous.  but it causes schizophrenia in some people

i am here.
nsimmons

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:24:12 PM

and tylenol kills thousands of people a year, and peanuts, and shellfish

ban seafood for the childrens!!

BrunesBTC45

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 01:26:46 AM

and tylenol kills thousands of people a year, and peanuts, and shellfish

ban seafood for the childrens!!

LOL! And TV too! Media is bad for children.. Everything on TV is bad for children..
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 05:30:40 PM

That'd have to be a pretty major study to prove it. You'd have to collect at least a thousand people people in various age, geographical, and ethnic groups, then have one group smoking and one group not, with regular, frequent drug testing. At the start and end, you'd have to then give everyone a psych exam -- this'd help remove any problems with selection bias, I'd guess.

Given how many schizophrenics are undiagnosed, I'd be more willing to bet the possible temporary paranoia of smoking exacerbates the person's eccentricities enough to lead to hospitalization which then leads to a schizophrenia diagnosis. If they put you in the psych ward to start out with in a hospital, that being on your record might influence whether or not a borderline's diagnosed, too.
evok3d

Activity: 534

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 05:48:10 PM

This was already posted and covered here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=781703.0

The reason the warrant was issued was him using eight times the normal usage of a residence *AND* because he had previous history of operating growing houses.

It makes sense then. He should have kept the bitcoins offline or somewhere else than his computer. Clearly he wasnt a good dealer or a miner Tongue

M E   D I   A
P  R -    ▄▄███████▄▄   
  ▄██████▀██████▄ 
 ███████   ███████
▐██████     ██████▌
██████▌     ▐██████
▐██████     ██████▌
 ▀██████▄ ▄██████▀
   ▀███████████▀  
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     
- T  O  C - O - L
MEDIA Protocol in Action
              ▄▄██████▄▄
            ▄████████████▄
           █████▌ ▀▀███████
   ▄████▄▄██████     ▀█████▌
 ▄███▀ ▀████████      ▐█████
▐███▌   ▐████████      ████▌
▐███    ██████████▄▄  ▐████
 ▀███▄▄████▀▀████████████▀
   ▀▀███▀▀     ▀▀████▀▀
   ▄▄▄████████████████▄▄▄    
 ████████████████████████▄  
▐███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌ 
████████████▀▀▀        █████ 
█████████▀             █████ 
███████              ▐█████ 
█████▀               ██████ 
███▌              ▄██████ 
█████             ▄█████████ 
████▌          ▄▄██████████ 
▐████▄▄▄▄██████████████████▌ 
 ▀███████████████████████▀  
   ▀▀███████████████████▀    
nsimmons

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 07:04:35 PM

I did have the city show up at my door asking if I was running a grow op. I have 7 gpu rigs. A year early they were using warrentless searches under some safety inspection provision and then charging for the inspection while an officer watched from off property. Our courts struck that process down, now we get city workers and a 6 month delay in the utility bill while there is an "investigation"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/man-s-home-invaded-by-government-search-of-fish-tanks-1.1243742

btckold24

Activity: 434

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 07:41:37 PM

bah at the cops wasting time and money... I have also worried about how my added electricity would look.  They prob kept the guys computers to try and get him on something so it wasnt a complete bust.  Cops don't know what asics are so they snagged his units to see if something was illegal about them...

YOU CAN ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY or INVEST

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀

Rainbot
Happy Hour
Faucet
BIGbangTheory

Activity: 83

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 01:12:53 AM

That'd have to be a pretty major study to prove it. You'd have to collect at least a thousand people people in various age, geographical, and ethnic groups, then have one group smoking and one group not, with regular, frequent drug testing. At the start and end, you'd have to then give everyone a psych exam -- this'd help remove any problems with selection bias, I'd guess.

Given how many schizophrenics are undiagnosed, I'd be more willing to bet the possible temporary paranoia of smoking exacerbates the person's eccentricities enough to lead to hospitalization which then leads to a schizophrenia diagnosis. If they put you in the psych ward to start out with in a hospital, that being on your record might influence whether or not a borderline's diagnosed, too.
I think that weed use does lead to an increased level of paranoia. I don't think the level of paranoia would lead to a person being put in a psych ward if they otherwise do not have a mental illness. I would argue that a good portion of the paranoia from weed use is the consequences of getting caught with/using it.

I have however read studies that do link an increased risk of schizophrenia to use of weed
h4xx0r

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 01:59:47 AM

u make it sound so innocuous.  but it causes schizophrenia in some people

It does cause schizorphrenia in some people with prolonged use. i quit smoking marijuana because i would hear evil voices. they would tell me disturbing shit too. i'll never smoke that shit again, it was fucking up my brain. i can remember that i was barely cognitive when i stopped smoking marijuana, and suffered acute social anxiety. a few years later i feel fine now. maybe a bit nervous. no more voices, no more nasty lung infections. you watch though, they'll legalize this shit and the country will be filled with zombie ass morons who are barely cognitive.

BIGbangTheory

Activity: 83

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 02:07:12 AM

It does cause schizorphrenia in some people with prolonged use. i quit smoking marijuana because i would hear evil voices. they would tell me disturbing shit too. i'll never smoke that shit again, it was fucking up my brain. i can remember that i was barely cognitive when i stopped smoking marijuana, and suffered acute social anxiety. a few years later i feel fine now. maybe a bit nervous. no more voices, no more nasty lung infections. you watch though, they'll legalize this shit and the country will be filled with zombie ass morons who are barely cognitive.
Besides causing very bad mental illnesses, weed is a gateway drug, meaning that it leads many people into using much harder more addicting drugs
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:28:55 AM

what kind of disturbing "shit"?  anything interesting?

i am here.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 02:54:41 PM

They took his computers??!! That's his business, quite possibly his livelihood. And they actually charged him with crimes with very little evidence - a bit of marijuana in the house. A lot of states have a low fine if it's found in someone's pockets, but that's it. His lawyer is shit, total utter shit. He should be pressing every legal button available.

Down here the police force is just a money grabber for the city. Take a look at this article, It's pretty common for the cops to do as they feel and seize anything of value.

http://www.breezejmu.org/news/article_765b428a-8ee3-11e3-8e0f-001a4bcf6878.html

"Police also seized a pair of Nike shoes, a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, a LG phone, two keys to an Audi car, an herb grinder with residue, a Playstation 3, a 32-inch TV and butane fuel."

So they couldn't find anything tasty in the fridge then?

How do you tell the difference between such pigs and common burglars anyways?  Roll Eyes

Truth is the new hatespeech.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 03:59:05 PM

The planted the weed on him 100%  they ALWAYS.. ALWAYS plant something if they raid you so it's not a waste of money..

Welcome slaves to our bright and beautiful world.
nsimmons

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 06:39:37 PM

It already is, where have you been??

BTCfan668

Activity: 88

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 10:52:16 PM

It already is, where have you been??
Our country is not quite that bad, at least not yet. The real issue is that the legalism of marijuana is going to lead to a less productive workforce which means a slower growing economy
nsimmons

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 01:40:53 AM

I hear this all the time, and today on the radio. Legalization will lead to increased use. Well it does not. Countries where it is legal have a lower use rate.
BTW I'm in Vancouver, Canada, pot central. It is literally next door and across the street and pretty much anywhere else I could look. We don't have stringent employer drug testing, open smoking everywhere, no one cares and most people aren't users. I don't use and no one in my social or professional circle does either.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: