Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:07:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which version are you testing?
0.6.0.7rc1 - 11 (100%)
0.5.5rc1 - 0 (0%)
0.4.6rc1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help test: Bitcoin 0.6.0.7rc1, 0.5.5rc1 and 0.4.6rc1  (Read 2255 times)
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 11:50:32 PM

bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt version 0.6.0.7 release candidate 1 are now available for download at:bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt version 0.5.5 release candidate 1 are now available for download at:bitcoind version 0.4.6 release candidate 1 is now available for download at:
These are bugfix-only releases.

Please report bugs by replying to this forum thread. Note that the 0.4.x wxBitcoin GUI client is no longer maintained nor supported. If someone would like to step up to maintain this, they should contact Luke-Jr.

BUG FIXES

• Version 0.6.0 allowed importing invalid "private keys", which would be unspendable; 0.6.0.7 will now verify the private key is valid, and refuse to import an invalid one
  • Verify status of encrypt/decrypt calls to detect failed padding
  • Upgrade Windows builds to OpenSSL 1.0.1b
  • Set label when selecting an address that already has a label. Fixes #1080 (Bitcoin-Qt)
  • JSON-RPC listtransactions's from/count handling is now fixed
  • Optimize and fix multithreaded access, when checking whether we already know about transactions
  • Fix potential networking deadlock
  • Proper support for Growl 1.3 notifications
  • Display an error, rather than crashing, if encoding a QR Code failed (0.6.0.7)
  • Don't erroneously set "Display addresses" for users who haven't explicitly enabled it (Bitcoin-Qt)
  • Some non-ASCII input in JSON-RPC expecting hexadecimal may have been misinterpreted rather than rejected
  • Missing error condition checking added
  • Do not show green tick unless all known blocks are downloaded. Fixes #921 (Bitcoin-Qt)
  • Increase time ago of last block for "up to date" status from 30 to 90 minutes
  • Show a message box when runaway exception happens (Bitcoin-Qt)
  • Use a messagebox to display the error when -server is provided without providing a rpc password
  • Show error message instead of exception crash when unable to bind RPC port (Bitcoin-Qt)
  • Correct sign message bitcoin address tooltip. Fixes #1050 (Bitcoin-Qt)
  • Removed "(no label)" from QR Code dialog titlebar if we have no label (0.6.0.7)
  • Removed an ugly line break in tooltip for mature transactions (0.6.0.7)
  • Add missing tooltip and key shortcut in settings dialog (part of #1088) (Bitcoin-Qt)
  • Work around issue in boost::program_options that prevents from compiling in clang
  • Fixed bugs occurring only on platforms with unsigned characters (such as ARM).
  • Rename make_windows_icon.py to .sh as it is a shell script. Fixes #1099 (Bitcoin-Qt)
  • Various trivial internal corrections to types used for counting/size loops and warnings

Thanks to everybody who contributed code or helped test this release:

Wladimir J. van der Laan
Luke Dashjr
Jeff Garzik
Pieter Wuille
Matt Corallo
Philip Kaufmann
Dwayne C. Litzenberger
Timothy Redaelli
freewil
Gavin Andresen
Chris Moore
Patrick Schneider
cardpuncher
graingert

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:31:30 AM

Running 0.6.0.7 @ W7x64, so far all good.

Can you tell me when we can expect;
- message verification in gui
- importing/exporting private keys in gui
- coin control in gui
- multi-sig transactions in gui

Will this be in a 0.6.x release or 0.7 or much later?

I consider these features very important specially the last one.
The question is just out of curiosity not to push anything before it's ready.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:52:38 AM

Can you tell me when we can expect;
- message verification in gui
- importing/exporting private keys in gui
- coin control in gui
- multi-sig transactions in gui

Will this be in a 0.6.x release or 0.7 or much later?

I consider these features very important specially the last one.
The question is just out of curiosity not to push anything before it's ready.
Since these are features, they won't be in any sooner than the next minor release (versions are Major.Minor.Bugfix). At least message verification and coin control are expected to be merged into 0.7, but I don't think the other two are really on the table just yet.

GroundRod

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 02:25:02 AM

Super to find this thread tonight, was wanting to report a bug in bitcoin-qt v0.6.0.6 windows version, related to incorrect labeling on sent coins to a particular address on separate occasions, the label tends to stick to the original transaction description, not the new one I've just entered.  Sounds like this maybe fixed in v6.0.7, if so would like to test and see if the problem is gone, if not will give a more detailed description, but that was it in a nutshell.

Problem at the moment is I'm a newbie & v0.6.0.6 is the 1st BTC wallet I've setup, have backed up the wallet.DAT file and would now simply like to know:  Can I just shutdown the software, extract the bitcoin-qt.exe from the new 6.0.7.zip download & overwrite the executable on my XP system in the Programs folder?  Sounds simple enough, but don't know the correct procedure for doing an upgrade here....

Will that get me running the new version? 

Figured it's safer to ask the guru's here, before screwing things up on my system.  If better thread for discussing that exists, please point me too it...

Thanks much,
GR
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 02:29:53 AM

Problem at the moment is I'm a newbie & v0.6.0.6 is the 1st BTC wallet I've setup, have backed up the wallet.DAT file and would now simply like to know:  Can I just shutdown the software, extract the bitcoin-qt.exe from the new 6.0.7.zip download & overwrite the executable on my XP system in the Programs folder?  Sounds simple enough, but don't know the correct procedure for doing an upgrade here....

Will that get me running the new version? 
Yeah, that should work fine. Just be aware that the client can take a few minutes to really shutdown... so you might have trouble overwriting the EXE in the meantime.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 06:39:45 AM

Shouldn't this be in the alternative clients forum?

Buy & Hold
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 04:59:17 PM

tnx Luke.

Shouldn't this be in the alternative clients forum?

No? this is just the normal satoshi client, but maybe it would fit better in the development forum Smiley

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 09:25:39 PM

I'm confused. The main Satoshi client is develop on GitHub:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

This one is hosted on Gitorious:

http://gitorious.org/bitcoin/bitcoind-stable

If they are the same, then what's the point in gitorious?

If they are different, then it isn't the Satoshi client and belongs in the Alternative Clients forum.

Buy & Hold
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 09:36:35 PM

I'm confused. The main Satoshi client is develop on GitHub:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

This one is hosted on Gitorious:

http://gitorious.org/bitcoin/bitcoind-stable

If they are the same, then what's the point in gitorious?

If they are different, then it isn't the Satoshi client and belongs in the Alternative Clients forum.
Stable releases are maintained on Gitorious. GitHub just has the "master" development branch.

GroundRod

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 03:49:11 AM

@Luke-Jr - successfully using the v0.6.0.7 executable now, have received a small amount with it correctly, the blockchain updated as expected.  No problems found with a simple overwrite of the 0.6.0.6 executable bitcoin-qt.exe.

So moments ago while being careful to document my repeatable problem, proceeded to copy/paste a small transaction once again for payment to a recipient.  As expected when the address was copied the label also filled in automatically, I then selected the label field under the 'Send Coins' tab and made the description changes desired for this transaction, entered the amount and hit send.  As expected the networked excepted, I then went over to my transaction list, and just like the other 2 transactions, they all now have the same label description as the first one sent to that recipient address. 

This seems wrong to me, not the biggest problem in the world, but still felt it was worth your attention to consider as a bug.  Hope this description is sufficient, if not, happy to provide a much more & very detailed report.

Exported the transaction register to .csv file, just to double confirm the label descriptions are indeed incorrect when sent to that text file, and it's not just a display problem.  Haven't started down the road of trying to figure out what the source code is doing,  personally started writing 'C' code back in '83, so C/C++ source is no stranger to me & would love to dig into this, but busting ass at a new local job until Sept, so it might be awhile before I'm up to speed & able to help at that level.

Lastly been trying to help other members of a closed forum get on the BitCoin wagon, most are running Win7 OS, personally I'm on XP or Linux and not intending on ever going up that Mickysoft OS branch learning curve, as a couple members have already aborted attempts to get the BitCoin-QT installation working, because the installation failed for them, was seeking advice as to how best to help them & wondering if this beta has a much smoother installation process for that OS?

P.S.  Did point them @ another thread on here, the one which discusses some of the reasons and possible solutions to get the installation process to work correctly under Windows 7, my thoughts are this beta release incorporates allot of those compatibility problem fixes, would that be correct?

Thanks much for all your efforts!

GR
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 04:15:42 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2012, 04:41:03 AM by deepceleron

@Luke-Jr - successfully using the v0.6.0.7 executable now, have received a small amount with it correctly, the blockchain updated as expected.  No problems found with a simple overwrite of the 0.6.0.6 executable bitcoin-qt.exe.

So moments ago while being careful to document my repeatable problem, proceeded to copy/paste a small transaction once again for payment to a recipient.  As expected when the address was copied the label also filled in automatically, I then selected the label field under the 'Send Coins' tab and made the description changes desired for this transaction, entered the amount and hit send.  As expected the networked excepted, I then went over to my transaction list, and just like the other 2 transactions, they all now have the same label description as the first one sent to that recipient address.

Transactions do not have labels, addresses do. If you pasted a Bitcoin address into the "pay to" field, and the label was automatically filled in with a name, then that means that address is already in the address book and you have labeled it. You cannot put the same address in twice with different labels, and there is no "transaction comment" feature in Bitcoin. The recipient of your payment can give you a different Bitcoin address for a specific payment though (which also increases anonymity).

It is easy to see how the label field in "send coins" can be misinterpreted as a transaction comment - perhaps clarification of these in the UI should be considered, such as:
Pay To:
+------------------------------------+
| Bitcoin address:__________________ |
| Address label:  __________________ |
+------------------------------------+

Amount: ______________

Lastly been trying to help other members of a closed forum get on the BitCoin wagon, most are running Win7 OS, personally I'm on XP or Linux and not intending on ever going up that Mickysoft OS branch learning curve, as a couple members have already aborted attempts to get the BitCoin-QT installation working, because the installation failed for them, was seeking advice as to how best to help them & wondering if this beta has a much smoother installation process for that OS?

There are no differences in running Bitcoin on different versions of Windows, or dare I say completely different operating systems. Just install it and leave it open and running for hours until it is updated. "Microsoft Security Essentials" has been known to block Bitcoin connections, and you must allow Bitcoin network connections through the windows firewall if blocking is enabled (and any other software firewall from third-party vendors).

-

My gripe is that the "signal bars" that replaced connections are complete nonsense. I have 52 connections, and one red bar and three orange bars; what the hell is that supposed to mean, and why isn't it green? Just put it back to a number.

Another glitch, if you resize the Bitcoin window to it's minimum width, the "recent transactions" area does something very odd...
GroundRod

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 04:46:50 AM

Thanks deepceleron, clarification noted.  

Seems odd to me, this particular recipient had multiple items listed & one address for sending coin to, so I wanted to keep track of which items I'd purchased, by changing the label description.  

Most things about the interface are very intuitive, this particular point isn't, and my thinking is that the Label description field should NOT be allowed a edit then.  

If an address is pasted into the Send Coins field, and the label is locked after having been auto filled, what is the point of allowing it to be edited?  It will simply be ignored & replaced with the description I'd originally gave it, in the 1st transaction sent to that address...
GroundRod

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 05:01:10 AM

My gripe is that the "signal bars" that replaced connections are complete nonsense. I have 52 connections, and one red bar and three orange bars; what the hell is that supposed to mean, and why isn't it green? Just put it back to a number.

Another glitch, if you resize the Bitcoin window to it's minimum width, the "recent transactions" area does something very odd...

Haven't tried the resize window issue, but did also want to comment on the 'signal bars', until you mentioned how it worked in the past, I've never gotten anything out of that indicator, except by hovering over it, to then see the number of connections pop up in the balloon box, now that I look real close with a magnifying glass, it does show a red, 2 orange and one clear/white bar, never knew what that meant, my connections always show 8 every time I've ever checked.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 07:52:45 PM

not exactly "testing", but i dont think this really needs a whole thread.

what exactly is the export button for. i made a few addresses and clicked it and saved it to my desktop, and it put out a file that just contained what i assume are public keys. is the client still missing private key exporting and importing? its been a while since i have even had the client installed, so i have no idea. and if this isn't private key importing/exporting, will it ever come out? or are the bitcoin devs too busy changing the ui instead of implementing a very useful security feature that should have been around 2 years ago.

i also see a backup wallet feature, but no restore feature.

and the sign feature is pretty much useless as there is no validate feature, so whats the point of making signed messages that no one can easily verify.

and if i were to suggest 2 features it would be block chain backups and offline transactions

i am not angry, i am just confused. but i think what i said above is pretty much common sense for what bitcoin is.

and yes, i am aware of armory, but most users will likely never use it, so the most important features need to be in the mainline client.

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 04:18:33 PM

i also see a backup wallet feature, but no restore feature.
It's pretty much assumed that restoring is an unusual event, when you've lost your main system.

and the sign feature is pretty much useless as there is no validate feature, so whats the point of making signed messages that no one can easily verify.
bitcoind has a verification function. Sign Message is needed for everyone, but only people asking for the signatures need the ability to verify. Nevertheless, a Verify Message dialog is planned for 0.7.

I filed two issues for the intuitiveness problems mentioned: Bitcoin-Qt: Label use non-intuitive to newbies: appears to be per-transaction rather than per-address and Bitcoin-Qt Export function non-intuitive

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 06:36:27 PM

Is there a doc somewhere for people who would like to help test clients, but are unsure of how to be helpful?

Or is it safe to say that if I have to ask how to help test, my testing/debugging would be close to worthless?
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:27:45 PM

Is there a doc somewhere for people who would like to help test clients, but are unsure of how to be helpful?

Or is it safe to say that if I have to ask how to help test, my testing/debugging would be close to worthless?
Best way to test is to simply backup your client regularly (which you should do anyway) and use the testing version for your everyday purposes. Then if there's any trouble, report it.

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 04:28:12 AM

I'll probably get yelled at for not searching, but I must ask:

why are there three different versions being maintained?
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:02:03 PM

why are there three different versions being maintained?
Because new features bring new bugs, and people who don't need those new features might not want to take that chance, especially in production environments (webstores, etc).

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 05:59:47 PM

I think it is a waste of time to maintain so many old versions.

But it's Luke's time to waste...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: