Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:12:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust (COIN ETF) to Launch in 2014  (Read 5161 times)
spud21

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 01:22:27 PM

Most people here is waiting for the ETF, it could really change bitcoin's destiny.

The thing in Jersey does not seem to have made much difference. I'm not sure about the ETF,
Elvis Trout

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 02:02:59 PM

Exante has a bitcoin fund too, doesn't seem to have many buyers.
maker88

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 02:19:36 PM

For every 5 shares of the COIN ETF the winklevoss brothers will hold 1 bitcoin. If there is demand over the amount of coins they already have, the will then buy 1 bitcoin from the market for every new 5 share purchases so if it takes off it can create some serious demand for bitcoins.

Thx for the extremely simple explanation, I had no idea that's how it was going to work. I feel like I've learned something today...that's it, time to go home, even though I just got to work.  Cheesy

How are there people out of highshool who don't understand what an etf is? Cheesy
maker88

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 02:20:36 PM

Most people here is waiting for the ETF, it could really change bitcoin's destiny.

The thing in Jersey does not seem to have made much difference. I'm not sure about the ETF,

A hedge fund trading bitcoin is VASTLY different than an etf.
cdooer

Activity: 106

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 02:39:09 PM

For every 5 shares of the COIN ETF the winklevoss brothers will hold 1 bitcoin. If there is demand over the amount of coins they already have, the will then buy 1 bitcoin from the market for every new 5 share purchases so if it takes off it can create some serious demand for bitcoins.

Thx for the extremely simple explanation, I had no idea that's how it was going to work. I feel like I've learned something today...that's it, time to go home, even though I just got to work.  Cheesy

How are there people out of highshool who don't understand what an etf is? Cheesy

That's a good question...but who says I'm out of high school? OK, I'm outta high school...but traditional investments have never been my thing...or anything with numbers really.
razorramon

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

BILIBIT.IO -1st Decentralized Token in Philippines

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 04:03:42 PM

How are there people out of highshool who don't understand that there are people from outside the USA? Cheesy

First Decentralized token in the philippines                                                                                Community-driven crypto ecosystem♕
           PRE-SALE                                                     Bilibit                                                         Intended to help People ☮
     is now LIVE at Bilibit.io                                                                                                      [ Twitter ] [ Facebook ] [ Telegram]
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 04:10:48 PM

How are there people out of highshool who don't understand that there are people from outside the USA? Cheesy

A few days ago I saw someone on an American new station (forgot which) who didn't seem to have gotten the memo that Yugoslavia is no longer a nation.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 04:31:24 PM

You do realize that ETF's are not exclusively a U.S. investment vehicle right? There are ETF's listed on foreign markets. Also, U.S. market ETF's are available to foreign investors as well.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:26:03 PM

What has to happen is that the government has to ignore it for a long time, or at least do nothing for a long time.

Without government intervention, I don't really see much of an end in sight. I think the Winklevoss ETF is going to be huge for BTC, as it will open up BTC for easy trades. It might be volatile, but it's pretty easy to hedge against that volatility with standard portfolio theory, and given the historical prices of BTC, it looks pretty good for a crazy volatile security.

My prediction is that once the Winklevoss thing goes up, shit loads of people will buy very small amounts, driving the price crazy. This attracts another big spike in attention from the market as it goes up, and another when price drops off a cliff two weeks in. From there, we'll have decently wide awareness, and we'll see a steady growth with massive bubbles every few months. After a certain amount of time, price would probably be insulated against bubbles though, since we tend to recover very quickly.

weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:28:31 PM

That's not how it works. COIN doesn't need to create and destroy shares or otherwise manage the price. There are some accredited entities who will act as arbitrageurs. That is, if the price is different for the ETF on Nasdaq vs. Bitcoin at Bitstamp, they will buy at one place and sell at the other until the prices adjust just as they do today across Bitcoin exchanges.
sally87

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 10:18:07 PM

It's supiscious how quiet it is around this for so long.

Yes! There is so much postive news and the price don't increase. I think the plans are allready finish and by dec 2014/jan 2015 the explosion comes. The bitcoin is so innovative that they can't refuse it. I can't wait to pay in the stores for my food, clothes etc with bitcoins.
There's to much money and investments in bitcoin that it will be at the nasdaq. If that don't happen i'll get nuts with monetary system nowadays. I can't wait when this system is destroyed!!!!
phoenix1

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 10:59:18 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2014, 11:11:48 PM by phoenix1

IMO we will get plenty of notice if/when COIN is about to launch ... there is no way the twins will want to sell their stash for less than  possible. Ergo, when they are ready to launch, they will announce well in advance of the opening in anticipation of a run up in price, probably with a little help from them, prior to listing.

Whether they would announce when it is approved is another matter ... what better tactic then to know you had approval, accumulate more and then announce > profit

Caveat: I have no idea if the general public would have a way to know if the ETF is approved outside of the twins announcing. Anyone ?

EDIT: TBH I have serious doubts about the short term impact of COIN approval other than people trying to front run the launch. Longer term, sure, probably a great investment vehicle for people to gain for exposure to BTC in a way that can go in pension funds etc ...
All depends on the demand at the time, which remains to be seen
That view is in part based upon the stagnation of Silbert's BIT

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
sally87

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:16:31 AM

This will go to Nasdaq! Look what David Lavalle says about Bitcoin. It's a matter of time! The bubble is here again! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

http://cointelegraph.com/news/112245/nasdaqs-lavalle-bitcoin-etf-is-a-turning-point

Put this on your browser and read!
faince222

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:19:41 AM

Oh yeah, this is a great news ! Can't wait to see it in action  Tongue New investor, much speculation, a new BIG BUBBLE is coming !  Grin Grin Grin Grin
sally87

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:54:38 AM

And read this people! http://moneymorning.com/2014/07/07/winklevoss-bitcoin-etf-ticker-to-be-nasdaq-coin/
Bitcoin will rise again.  Cheesy Cheesy
sally87

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 11:12:25 AM

Yes i'm here again  Cheesy Cheesy Read this article.  http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/07/10/nasdaq-coin-winklevoss-bitcoin-fund-ticker/
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 11:57:18 AM

Do you have more links to old articles?  Roll Eyes

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
sally87

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 12:17:44 PM

David Lavalle said this 5 weeks ago. And for me this are not new articles, butt maybe for other people it is? Or i talk bullshit now. I don't thinks so. Everyday new people want to dicover Bitcoin or there come new members to bitcointalk. So for them it's interesting,l correct?
grappa_barricata

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

playing pasta and eating mandolinos

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:36:36 PM

When it will be about to be launched you will recognize it by the increased liquidity in the books of the exchanges. At that point you'll know that the launch is a matter of days.

Fortune cannot take away what she has not given.
trotter55

Activity: 65

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:48:26 PM

When it will be about to be launched you will recognize it by the increased liquidity in the books of the exchanges. At that point you'll know that the launch is a matter of days.

If it launches the regulators will have to announce they have approved it first. Once the regulators either reject, or approve it they will announce their decision.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: