Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:31:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Bitcoin  (Read 2139 times)
grumpyoldtroll (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:26:28 AM

If ever I lose a certain amount of Bitcoin (large or small), how can I  track it down or claim it back? Who should I contact?
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 07:28:51 AM

You can track them on the blockchain using any block explorer. If they are stolen, the coin will most likely be sent to a coin mixer which means it is virtually impossible to track them.
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

If ever I lose a certain amount of Bitcoin (large or small), how can I  track it down or claim it back? Who should I contact?
What do you mean with losing it? Sending to other address not owned by you?
It's almost impossible, you can try to google that adress but if the owner wants to stay anonymous, then there is no way at all.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:30:12 AM

Depends what do you mean by lost. If someone steals your Bitcoin you can check on the blockchain and thats all. You can't claim it back, unless you catch the hacker but they are usually smart enough in the first place to use Tor or something.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:30:18 AM

If it's lost you can check it on blockchain however if it's been stolen there is not anything much you can do about it as it can not be tracked back as anyone who hacks and steals has always got their tracks covered.
hoewer4what

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:53:41 AM

Basically the same as if you lose a dollar bill on the street. Whether you get the bitcoin back depends how you lost it and also luck.
DubFX

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:04:33 AM

Basically the same as if you lose a dollar bill on the street. Whether you get the bitcoin back depends how you lost it and also luck.
It isn't nearly the same, you can still track the address on blockchain an maybe try asking for it by note on small transaction, and if it was mistake or something along that, then it could work.
OFC if it wasn't mixed already  Roll Eyes
rapta

Activity: 325

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 10:06:24 AM

It isn't nearly the same, you can still track the address on blockchain an maybe try asking for it by note on small transaction, and if it was mistake or something along that, then it could work.

I'd say it is a bit more difficult than losing a dollar bill.  Smiley
DubFX

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 10:11:33 AM

I'd say it is a bit more difficult than losing a dollar bill.  Smiley
How when you have info of everybody who picked whose dollar bills on site blockchain.info? Smiley
Coef

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

Exhausted

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 04:09:01 PM

Bitcoin transactions are irreversible. So unless the hackers/scammers send you back the bitcoin (may be under threats or for whatever reasons), there is no way you can get it back.

If you have been hacked, you should check your machines for malware and store your bitcoin in a better way (like in an offline wallet).
If you have been scammed, you should learn to use escrows and be careful with "too good to be true" trades.
If you have lost your own wallet file, you should remind yourself to make backups next time.

Kentes

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:00:00 PM

Backup your wallet if your computer could crash and if someone stole them there is no way to get them back.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:08:25 PM

And to be clear, there is no central authority in bitcoin. There is no one who can roll back a transfer or tell you something you can't find for yourself on a website like https://blockchain.info/ .
You are solely responsible for doing your own security with bitcoin. Its a sad truth that even the police will be very little help, as they will have no idea what your talking about.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:46:58 PM

The best you can do is build awareness for others as I did.

Luckily, I received what was lost from the person, unfortunately most people will never get the same positive result. If it is a scammer - theres several approaches like compensating a certain amount, and give a small reward for doing so.. which may have them turn in your bitcoin and keep a still left.
belk

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:38:12 AM

Is there a place where we can complain or just ask some help? Just to guide us?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 07:40:41 AM

I don't think you understand what decentralized means...   Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 12:06:24 PM

I don't think you understand what decentralized means...   Undecided

You contact the CEO or Bitcoin Mark Karpeles.

Joking aside BTC requires the user to have a little computer knowledge about how to secure your coins.  Until a relatively foolproof and cheap device is made to secure coins the due diligence is on the part of the coin owner.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:32:24 PM

There is absolutely no such thing. No bitcoin dot com, no authority whatsoever. Of course if you come here and complain you may get some sympathy. We all worry about criminality and accidentally sending to the wrong address.
It may seem harsh to have to do your own security. But the fact that no one can really do anything about your transactions IS part of the security.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:17:42 PM

Everyone is responsible of his loses/wins, thats the beauty of Bitcoin. No other monetary system allows for this.

Zebra

Activity: 612
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 03:11:18 AM

You should make a post in the scam accusation section https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=83.0 to warn the others and possibly discuss with other victims, but there is no way you can revert the confirmed bitcoin transactions.

BTCish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:51:47 AM

How did you lost those coins ?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: